Air Superiority Bug Work Around

dutcheese

Chieftain
Air Superiority Bug Work Around

Intro: When the AI sends bomber after bomber you can't shoot them down. Those bombers wreak havoc on the lines. Your fighters don't engage nor do the SAM city improvements. But on the other side the AI and shoot down your planes. It's a confirmed bug.

What's Changed: To get around the Air Superiority BUG Air Power was disabled. This means no one can build the following Units:

Fighter
Bomber
Jet Fighter
Stealth Fighter and Bomber
F-15

Units that were kept are:

All rocket units
Paratrooper
Helicopter (used as a transport)
The SAM Missile Battery Improvement was also kept since it is needed to build the Strategic Missile Defense small wonder.

Technologies of Flight and Advanced Flight were kept and left on the default settings. Flight enables an Airport city improvement and is needed to advance from the Industrial Era to the Modern Era. Advanced Flight will enable the Paratrooper and Helicopter Units but is not needed to achieve the Modern Era. Again, these are the default settings and are listed here just incase you are wondering why you still need to study Flight and what you get if you study Advanced Flight.

AI build settings for American and Russian civilizations were set to often build Air Units. This setting was change to often build Artillery Land Units for both civilizations.

Map: Does not come with a map.

Using: replace the civ3mod.bic with the scenario file renamed to civ3mod.bic. If you don't replace the civ3mod.bic file the technology tree is broken. (thx for the tip Utanapishti)

-------------------------------------------
Download: see version 2 post below for download file.

Scenario Files:
- civ3mod-no-air.bic -- No Resource Modification
- civ3mod-no-air-more-resources.bic
Strategic Resource Appearance Ratios were all increased by 100... the more opponents the more resources. I like this one the mostest.

Enjoy.
dutcheese@hotpop.com

version changes
removed the availability of civilizations to build air power units rather than deleting them altogether. when the units were deleted it messed up some of the icon representations--like my privateer had an f15 icon--fixed.

I tried both of dutcheese's scenarios because I really like the idea of being able to play a satisfying game through the modern era.

Unfortunately, I found that I had real problems with research, because the tech tree on the science advisor pages had funky links all over the place, and I could not alter my research choice once I had picked something. The only time I could choose science was in the advisor popup following discovery.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

hi,

replace the civ3mod.bic with the scenario file renamed to civ3mod.bic. If you don't replace the civ3mod.bic file the technology tree is broken. (thx for the tip Utanapishti)

dutcheese

Hmm I like your intentions of removing the AIs chance to whack you with air assets when you can't fight back...

BUT I love air power too much to ignore the bombardment value of the aircraft!

Good mod, but I doubt it is my cup of tea!

Keep up the good work, Dutcheese!:goodjob:

First and foremost, I'd like to commend dutcheese for a workaround well done. Also, I'd like to just mention, even though I know this thread is old and most people probably already knew this, but to fix the whole science-tree debacle, you need but backup your original civ3mod.bic file and replace it with whichever custom scenario file you've downloaded, that will fix it.

Now, I have a slight bug report here, I played the air-superiority workaround thingamajig and noticed that, as a Greek, the hoplites looked, amusingly enough, like stealth bombers, but only in the building que window, in the city view. This isn't much of a problem but the other bug I found is. See, I found myself stuck on a large continent with both the Egyptians and the Romans (funny little triangle-drama with Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar and Cleopatra there :rolleyes: ) and I found that they were much avid land-hoggers'n I, which prompted me to quickly discover map-making. And after having built that galley, I set forth to find other continents to settle upon. Alas, I found none. The galley's range was just far too short. Therefore, I put all my resources into building the Great Lighthouse, which would allow my galley to safely end it's turn in a sea square, though still daring destruction if they end their turn on an ocean square and give it one additional movement per turn. Well, the lighthouse was completed, and I built an pair of additional galleys and set them to automagically explore and this is where the bug reared it's ugly mug, see, the galley they all plunged deep into unknown sea, travelling over the ocean and hapilly ending their turns in deep ocean squares. "Holy hell!", I exclaimed, "That'll get them killed.", but...nope. They survived that turned, both of them. And the next, and the next, and the next.
I assume that this bug is somehow connected to the air-superiority fix, not some general CivIII feature gone screwy.

If you've managed to bear with my verbose word-monglering, then good on ya laddies, you're braver and bolder'n me.

--
Carthago Delenda Est

Actually, I hadn't read the fix for the science tree problem anywhere else. So thanks for letting us know, Utanapishti!
:)

By crikey, could I have been more wrong?
Disregard pretty much everything in my previous post about my galleys gallavanting through ocean square after I've built the Great Lighthouse. I must be on crack or something to that effect, to dream up something quite like that. I don't know how I got the notion that the Great Lighthouse only allowed the galleys to rest safely on sea squares, not on ocean squares, but I, to my outmost dismay, have now shown that I am truly -not- a Civ fanatic.
But hell, showing the world you're stupid is what the internet is for after all, it seems.

--
Looks like this rain's gonna last, huh?
- Utanapishti, old Sumerian guy.

Hi,

Version 2 is out...

version changes:
removed the availability of civilizations to build air power units rather than deleting them altogether. when the units were deleted it messed up some of the icon representations--like my privateer had an f15 icon--fixed.

Using: replace the civ3mod.bic with the scenario file renamed to civ3mod.bic. If you don't replace the civ3mod.bic file the technology tree is broken. (thx for the tip Utanapishti)

dutcheese

Attachments

• air-superiority-bug-work-around-v2.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 225
This question is slightly OT, as it doesn't concern the air superiority fix mod, but it does pertain to civ3mod.bic files, so I'll ask it here.

At present, I use 2 user-created files: Wolfschanze's fascist mod, and a scenario I made that forces 8 players on a small map (that's the only change.) I use Wolf's files in place of the default game files, so the civ3mod.bic in the main folder comes from Wolf. I run the 8 civ/small map scenario using Wolf's files, and the tech tree is screwed up.

Reading these posts, if I were just using the 8 civ/small map mod, I should copy the scenario file, rename it civ3mod.bic, and place it in the main folder, fixing the tech tree. Since I'm using two mods, should I open Wolf's civ3mod.bic using Civ3edit, change the # civs/map size settings (to get 8 civs on a small map), save it as a scenario, then replace it in the main folder? When playing a game then, do I open the 8 civ/small map as a scenario, or the revised Wolf scenario?

The only thing that's screwed up in my games (so far) is the tech tree, and the only thing that peeves me about that is the inability to change research. If I can rectify this, all would be well.

hi,

i think the best thing would be to modify the Wolfschanze's fascist mod to 8 civs with small map and keep it in the root of the game directory as civ3mod.bic. the bic file holds game info that needs to match up with the game files.

hope this helps.

dutcheese

Hi folks

THIS IS AWFUL! (The Air Superiority bug, not ductheese's fix for it.) What a tough situation, the bug or no air units.

Anyone have any other details on this- COULD there be any chance its caused by a specific combination of Tribes or something, allowing us to avoid it by avoiding the circumstances? I keep thinking of that bug caused by having too many fonts or the Lucenda whatever font on your machine. It seems sad to think that this is a general bug and wasn't noticed by the playtesters. I find it hard to image Sid Meier playing the game and letting it go out with a known bug like this!

you need but backup your original civ3mod.bic file and replace it with whichever custom scenario file you've downloaded, that will fix it.

This doesn't allow you to skip the random map generation at the beginning of the game. You can keep the new rules, but is there any way to keep the custom map as well???

Top Bottom