Lancers to Cavalry

mikeburnfire

Warlord
I quickly created this simple mod that lets Lancers (and the respective UUs) promote to Cavalry instead of Anti-tank Guns.

I had been using the Pikemen to Musketmen mod, which worked well for a while. However, it kinda sucked for civs that had Unique Lancer replacements (like Poland). Also, I was in a game where a city-state kept gifting me Lancers, which I immediately gifted back because they were so worthless in the Modern Era.

This is the first mod that I've created successfully, so any feedback is appreciated.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=353508944

The current problem with Lancers, imo, is that 37 [25+50%] vs 34 is not fair to a unit supposed to be anti-cavalry. It merely fights toe-to-toe with its target,while losing badly to the other units [Lance 25 vs Rifle 34 or Gats 30]

I'd prefer to see Lancer be buffed to 28 or 30 combat strength, they really need it. With their +50% vs mounted, their role [anti-cavalry] will be fulfilled without being better than Rifleman, Gatling or Artillery [I think, but arty should be glass canon anyway].

Scratch all that, I made a mistake: Lancers don't have the same bonus vs mounted as the Pikeman do! OMG they're horrible, with just the 33% from formation.

Lancers 25 + 33%= 33 vs Cavalry 34... LOL this is absurd. Pikes are 16 + 50%= 32 vs Knight 20 !!!

The only way to save Lancers is to remove Formation [33% vs mount], replace it with the same trait as the Pikeman AND buff their base damage to 30. That's how they can fight like:

Lancer [30] vs Rifles [34] = lose
Lancer [30] vs Gats [30] = draw
Lancer [45, due to 50%] vs Cavs [34] = win

Landships were the very first tanks and are supposed to beat the crap out of anything on the ground on single combat, be it Lancer, Cavs, Infantry or Gats; the only way the germans could counter it was by swarming it with everything they had. Read this, it is an awesome article:

Spoiler :
Source: http://www.defesanet.com.br/tank/noticia/16813/1916--Primeiro-tanque-de-guerra-em-acao/

Pitiful google translation to English [expect trouble, lol]:

"Moved by supernatural forces"

A war correspondent reported it as follows:... "On the craters came two giants The monsters were approaching hesitant and wavering, but came closer to them, who seemed moved by supernatural forces, there was no knots shots of our guns and our handguns bounced off them. So they were able to settle without effort, the grenadiers of the advanced trenches. "

What the Germans stunned witnessed was the action of the first tanks in human history - the new weapon that the British and French had built strictly confidential. This weapon received military allies the code name "tank", so that the enemies think in water or fuel tanks in case went beyond any information about the secret project.

The new tanks unleashed the most fateful situation that occurred so far in front. The "monsters" overcame obstacles, against which thousands of soldiers had died before. Weapons, trenches and barbed wire fences - nothing could stop the powerful vehicles.

A broken English tank was described as follows by the German military who could take it, "the sides, it has two centimeters shield plate and a half thick and a barrel swivel tower of a swallow's nest format is. directed through a rear hinge component that can be moved up and down. The vehicle is so heavy that a train car collapsed under their weight. They carry a lot of ammunition, food and a cage with pigeons. "

The first tanks were pretty slow, making just six kilometers per hour, and are quite difficult to maneuver. Of the 49 first-generation tanks, which were used in Flers, few returned to their original positions.

Cheers to German courage

Much of it was abandoned in the way crashes function on the engine or in the wake of Shooting or just mired in a hole or deep mire. Nine tanks were destroyed by the Germans. After winning the initial shock, German soldiers started to attack tanks with hand grenades and firearms.

According to a correspondent of English war, "the courage of the Germans was unusual. Ignoring the machine-gun fire vehicles, they tried with a desperate fury, assaulting tanks and kill its crew. They mutually alçavam the tank roof , sought hatch or cracks and drew revolvers in the cracks. "

The remarkably high number of casualties of tanks led the German army to believe that the artillery would always be higher than the new invention, which was considered a strategic mistake a few years later.

While French and British worked to improve the quality of their tanks, getting to have in the last year of the war a few thousand of them, the Germans had produced only 45 units so far. An imbalance that has become increasingly visible and accelerated the German defeat in the war.

I'd say the GWI [50] is more to blame than the landship, but even if it were nerfed [let's say, to 45] it wouldn't save the lancer. In the end, Lancer is just a unit that needs a major buff to do its job effectively and then be either disbanded or carefully used* until it can become anti-tank.

* Opportunistic pillaging, patrol borders [vs barbs, etc], block spots [from settlers, etc].

Also, notice that the counter to all cavalry units come before they appear, which is odd but it is there:

Spears [ancient] vs Horseman [classic]
Pikes [civil service] vs Knight [Chivalry]
Lancer [metalurgy] vs [military science]
Heli [computers] vs Modern Armor [lasers]

Only the Anti-tank Gun later, but at least it comes together with the Tank. And it makes sense.

Still, a good [and realistic, see article] idea to counter the Landship [60] would be to give the Artillery [28] a % bonus vs tanks. One of these values would do the job:

28 + 50% = 42 vs 60 [very conservative option]
28 + 75% = 49 vs 60 [nice option to pair with a nerf to GWI, reducing this infantry from 50 to 45]
28+100% = 56 vs 60 [a bold option, very risk and probably OP]

i guess this makes lancers slightly less worthless :D surprised their original upgrade path is so odd, going to cavalry makes much more sense

Top Bottom