A random idea: canals.

dbkblk

Emperor
Hey!
Random idea. What if we make a new improvement named "canal" which removes the current improvement on the tile. If a canal is connected to a river or a sea tile (similar to irrigation), it should allow the city to build water related buildings and enable sea commercial trade route and eventually boats ? Such infrastructures are used since 18th century I guess.

I was thinking about the Suez, Panama or Rhin-Rhône canals that connects cities in modern times. However, that is absolutely not a necessity!

Well, I think the idea is worth a thought - canals have historically been incredibly important.

I could imagine it work if
1) they would NOT grant access to the sea but rather just be used as a passage for ships (similar to a city tile)
2) they would be incredibly expensive (e.g. 2000 gold per tile)

Also wouldn't there be the danger of the IA Canal spamming?

You can already build a canal of sorts by building a line of forts that touch two coasts, allowing your ships to sail along the fort line.

You can already build a canal of sorts by building a line of forts that touch two coasts, allowing your ships to sail along the fort line.

Yes, the problem being that you can't have any improvements on the square... I canal would make sense if it were non-exclusive like a road - I just think, as stated it should be REALLY expensive...

I think that there is already something similar in the game, the forts.Two forts in a row count as a canal.For example by building 2 forts in a row in a land that is 2 tiles wide, your ships can cross this narrow land zone.I'm not sure whether this feature also works for inland cities,for example: if an inland city is 2(or 1) tiles far from coast then you can build 2(or 1) forts on the tiles between the city and the coast and it gains access to the sea?:confused:
IMO, it's reasonable for this improvement to be exclusive on a tile.I agree with 45°38'N-13°47'E.

I agree that the AI would then likely spam the poor things.

I didn't know this trick. Is that an exploit or has this been thought ? The AI could be told to build a fort line if 2 tiles or less away from the sea!

It can't be an exploit, because there's no reason or ability for ships to enter land forts otherwise.

In C2C we have code that allows AI to see choke points. This can be used to teach AI were build canals.

In C2C we have code that allows AI to see choke points. This can be used to teach AI were build canals.

Do you mean he builds forts / cities on landbridges and isthmuses?

I think that there is already something similar in the game, the forts.Two forts in a row count as a canal.For example by building 2 forts in a row in a land that is 2 tiles wide, your ships can cross this narrow land zone.I'm not sure whether this feature also works for inland cities,for example: if an inland city is 2(or 1) tiles far from coast then you can build 2(or 1) forts on the tiles between the city and the coast and it gains access to the sea?:confused:
IMO, it's reasonable for this improvement to be exclusive on a tile.I agree with 45°38'N-13°47'E.

That works only on a 2 tiles distance. In my current game I wanted to make a 4 or 5 tiles landbridge but had to realise it doesn't work :(
So I would love to see Canals in the game.
It could be an exclusive improvement with +5:commerce: -1:food: -1:hammers:. If it's connected to fresh water it should give fresh water too.

That works only on a 2 tiles distance. In my current game I wanted to make a 4 or 5 tiles landbridge but had to realise it doesn't work :(
So I would love to see Canals in the game.
It could be an exclusive improvement with +5:commerce: -1:food: -1:hammers:. If it's connected to fresh water it should give fresh water too.

I am against the freshwater, as we are talking about shipping canals.

Also, as stated, they should be really, really expensive (2000-4000 gold per tile)

I'll look at choke points when I'll be working on the pathfinding!

We have to learn new things everyday :)

Fort canals has been a thing since stock civ4. There is even a loading screen tool tip about it :D

Sure, but that only works with a maximum two tiles distance.
And anyway: forts are forts and canals are canals.
Forts shouldn't give the same ships can enter it like a city thing. I think it would be better if ships could enter forts only when the fort is built on top of a canal. And this should be the only available combo: fort + canal; otherwise both would be mutually exclusive with any other improvement.

I recall code in C2C allowing multiple improvements on the same tile but at the time it was buggy and a bit like a nightmare to me when I tried importing it. In the end I've left it out IIRC

Top Bottom