Map size, Speed, PC specifications....

youmakemefart

Warlord
1) What settings do you guys use in terms of map size and game speed
2) What PCs do you use?
3) how much time does a game take?

Also:
4) What do you think are the major factors that determine game speed? Number of civs? Size of the map? Game speed? Game / Bug settings?

I am just wondering this because you guys post screenshots with +20 civs - which makes me wonder.

My PC is certainly not that bad
Processor: 3.5 G (6 core)
8 GB RAM

and I play with moderate settings (Large map, 10-15 civs Eternity), but I still feel that turn time becomes really slow by the Renaissance...

Sorry to bump this thread - any other suggestions here? I really feel my games are much too slow with only 12-14 civs, while you guys seem to be playing with 20+

well, I for one, play using a Linux operating system.

But as Old Noood said, Lower your graphics settings to Medium or Low, will DEFINITELY aide your game speed.

Maximum units per tile, must be used, I use 30, I tried an unlimited game once, it became impossible, with 300-500+ Barbarian stacks, creaming all the Civs, BUT me!! and I only held on because of Great General attached units defending against 200+ at a time. Garrison stacks of 50+ with High walls. Just became too slow, even with rapid combat.

Graphics is in the Civ.ini file, or Options.

Bug settings, only units per tile matter, 1 Meg Graphics card is minimum for giant or Gigantic maps. 4 Meg of Ram, as its a 32 bit game, any more won't help.

Large HDD and newer model haven't got a SSD probably better.

Graphics setting is the HUGE one, that and units pre tile.

I don't think it's a matter of the mod settings. Probably something with your pc. Or it might depend on what you call "slow". I usually play on large maps and turn times are never longer than a few seconds even with 30+ civs at modern era. Make sure you are on the latest revision (rev980 now) and that Minimize Turn Times is checked under BUG options, first tab.

Edit: my pc is 5-6 years old now...

I'd say anything less than a minute is a 'fast turn processing' in the later stages of the game for me :lol:

Minimize Turn Times is a must - I don't see any real need for it being off anyway.

1) What settings do you guys use in terms of map size and game speed
2) What PCs do you use?
3) how much time does a game take?

Also:
4) What do you think are the major factors that determine game speed? Number of civs? Size of the map? Game speed? Game / Bug settings?

I am just wondering this because you guys post screenshots with +20 civs - which makes me wonder.

My PC is certainly not that bad
Processor: 3.5 G (6 core)
8 GB RAM

and I play with moderate settings (Large map, 10-15 civs Eternity), but I still feel that turn time becomes really slow by the Renaissance...

Are you an old-time player of civ 4? I used to get 20-30 seconds often between turns on my older computer with the original civ 4/warlords/bts, but with my current rig that's not so much of an issue:

i7 4770k
8gb ram
dual crucial m4 ssd 256gb in raid 0

I'm not sure which part of my rig makes things run so much more smoothly, but I don't have any issues.

Are you an old-time player of civ 4? I used to get 20-30 seconds often between turns on my older computer with the original civ 4/warlords/bts, but with my current rig that's not so much of an issue:

i7 4770k
8gb ram
dual crucial m4 ssd 256gb in raid 0

I'm not sure which part of my rig makes things run so much more smoothly, but I don't have any issues.

SSD's tend to help with turn time immensely.

Thanks guys, I will try and lower the graphics settings to the minimum and see if there is a hardware issue...

Top Bottom