Building Archeologists

docbud

Emperor
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I searched and I can't seem to find the answer.

How do you build or buy archeologists so you can dig up the archeology sites? I finished the exploration tree and the sites show up, but I can't figure out what I need to either build or buy the actual archeologists to do the digging.

I'm playing as Venice so I don't know if that has something to do with it (I wouldn't think so).

I've got five sites in my territory.

Thanks.

After discovering Archaeology (tech) you should be able to build an archaeologist in your city just like you would for a worker.

A city must have a University in order to build an archaeologist. You can't purchase them.

Both are false an archeologists needs to come from a city with a university.
edit ninja'd twice!

I have a university in my capital (where I am trying to get the archeologist).

^^Yes I do. I have archeology. I got that turns and turns ago. I'm now researching bombing and stuff. I checked and I definitely have archeology.

I think the issue is Venice and it's ability to build archeologists. I have several puppets, and I don't get the option in those cities either.

Here is a game save. I know I'm probably playing the game wrong, but BNW is new to me.

Attachments

• Enrico Dandolo_0384 AD-1964.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
You can build archaeologists as anyone, including Venice. You just can't buy them regardless of who you're playing as so you have to build them inside Venice instead of buying them in your puppet cities.

You can only build archaeologists, never buy them.

So as Venice, you can only build them in Venice, your main city.

Definately can build them in venice.

Here is a game save. I know I'm probably playing the game wrong, but BNW is new to me.

I opened the save, opened Venice's city screen and changed the production from Submarine to Archaeologist. Worked perfectly, said it was going to take 7 turns.

That's odd. I just hit atomic era and they show up to build. Did not show up earlier.

Thanks for the help, gang. This is weird.

It's really strange that they're the only unit that can't be bought with gold. What's the reasoning behind it?

It's really strange that they're the only unit that can't be bought with gold. What's the reasoning behind it?

So that creating them has an opportunity cost, and so you can't have 10 of them the instant you research archaeology (otherwise, that would be pretty much the optimal strategy).

So that creating them has an opportunity cost, and so you can't have 10 of them the instant you research archaeology (otherwise, that would be pretty much the optimal strategy).

It’s even more of an opportunity cost for Venice. You can purchase units/buildings in your puppets, but since Archeologists can’t be purchased, you’re forced to hard-build them in your capital only. Because of this, you can’t have multiple cities working on multiple Archeologists at the same time.

Not sure how much the AI propensity for building archeologists has been toned down in hot fix, but I am sure there still will be plenty around. Easiest way is to just take them from AI, they wonder through battlefields all the time. If you are way ahead and beelined it, it's not an option. But in non culture focused games I prefer free archeologist to hard build ones.

Top Bottom