How do I improve my normalized score?

Hornet85

Chieftain
At the end of each game, I often get very bad scores, no more than 4k score, lol.

I couldn't find anything in the game or guides on how this final normalized score works

But any tips on improving my score?

to get a better score in-game:
- have more techs
- have more land/population
- have more wonders

to get a better final score:
- get a better score in-game
- play a higher difficulty
- and most imortant: finish earlier

higher difficulty is the best way to do it. above monarch, it's very hard to get scores below 15K and still win

From my experiences, it also depends on the number of Civs you play against. More Civs, the higher the end score becomes.

From my experiences, it also depends on the number of Civs you play against. More Civs, the higher the end score becomes.

I've found this as well, however, it was because I won domination and thus had more land/population, making my score around 35k at the end.

If I can offer some advice, it would be to attempt for domination or conquest victories if you can finish them early (1800 to 1900 range). I always seem to get higher scores with domination victories solely because you gain more population from capturing cities and can use the land to help tech faster.

I've found this as well, however, it was because I won domination and thus had more land/population, making my score around 35k at the end.

I had a dual sized Pangaea win against 8 Civs that netted me a score of over 85,000 in end game score with a Domination Win. With a similar Domination Win against a lesser number of Civs, I had a score that was only in the 50,000 range.

I had a dual sized Pangaea win against 8 Civs that netted me a score of over 85,000 in end game score with a Domination Win. With a similar Domination Win against a lesser number of Civs, I had a score that was only in the 50,000 range.

What difficulty?! My 35k game was only on warlord lol.

You get higher scores on maps with more people because if it's a military game you just took more cities, and even if you don't, larger maps let every person build more cities, more cities = more land and more population = higher score.

So yeah, Time will always be the lowest score because it'll be the latest. Space Race is usually pretty low too, though you can at least get Augustus with space if you wage a few wars and get pretty big, or rex like mad, or can pull off a very early space race.

Cultural is usually higher than space if you get it earlier, like in the 1800s or earlier, and all that culture will usually let you flip a few cities, adding to you score.

The highest are usually domination/conquest wins, and the earlier the higher the score. An AP diplo victory can get you pretty high score though, rivaling a domination victory because it can be accomplished so easily so early. Some of my 100k+ games were diplo victories accidentally won in the middle ages.

Granted, I've been playing at lower levels (Warlord and under), but I've yet to crack 6000 points. I've achieved a total points victory, a conquest victory and a cultural victory, and seem to always be rated "Nero". In most of my games I pretty much exhaust the tech tree and in one game I had 50+ cities in the end. Now almost all of my games are late game wins, but I'm guessing I'm doing something very wrong to have such a low score.

-Does world size make a big difference on score?
-Game speed?
-And does the score take in account your population makeup (happy, unhappy, entertainers, merchants, scientists, etc)?

Your quesstions,

-World size makes a difference insofar as the bigger the world the more cities you can have thus the higher your score.
-As far as I know it doesn't make any difference. Although, marathon or epic speeds can abet a high score indirectly by favouring warmongering and thus conquest and domination are easier and often earlier than on other speeds.
-Not too sure on this one. As far as I can tell its just size

If you don't win as quickly, you can milk your score a bit more than that. My best is 214K (huge monarch domination marathon, 1205AD), 2nd best is 166K (small emperor domination normal, 1060AD).

Hanging gardens is pretty good for a score boost at the end.

EDIT: Keep milking until your "score for winning this turn" starts going down, then win ;)

An early AP diplomatic win gave me my only win over 100K. Finished way back in the 1200s. It seems to me the type of victory has the biggest bearing.

All my Domination wins scored higher than my space wins. Domination wins force you to have the high pop and land, and encourage getting it done early, rather than deal with tougher defenses and higher war weariness. UN diplomatic wins can be all over the place.

I find cultural wins to be pretty low since you don't need a large number of cities and population for them. I suppose they can be quite a bit higher if you pull them off early.

Space wins just seem to lack the high scoring because it takes so long to tech that much.

domination early on a high difficulty.
example:
normalized: 240k, finish date: 1180 AD, domination, emperor (standard size, pangaea-like fractal, epic speed, gilgamesh of sumeria).

Game speed ist important, so marathon brings a higher score. Also the map type, pangäa is the easiest.
For me it seems that population is most important, more important than difficulty.
An early domination victory, with a lot of cities(don't destroy captured citites) with high population is the key.
Conquer cities till you are near to the land mass, required for a domination victory and then stop it.
Build the palace in the new center of your empire to save maintainence costs and have a peacefull buildertime.
With half the map under control, you will have all the ressources needed to grow. Then build all the buildings you need for better health and happy caps.
A lot of farms and some production are needed, so SE would give the best results.
Even without biology or medicine you can let the cities grow to size 25 or higher.
After the cities has grown fast to the maximum, you can conquer the rest, needed for the domination land mass.
Then you will have a wonderfull score.

My best was 330k at 1130, marathon, huge pangäa, julius cesar. I was so lucky to find technologies in huts and had gold an iron near my capital with many hills and a food ressource.

You get higher scores on maps with more people because if it's a military game you just took more cities, and even if you don't, larger maps let every person build more cities, more cities = more land and more population = higher score.
I thought your score involved your population as a percentage of the world's population, likewise for land?

Top Bottom