Shoshone ''hut picking'' : your top choices ?

Ive been getting upgrade first, then the free technology and then the free citizen after that. The faith comes after awhile of getting many goodie huts.

Is it possible to choose the same upgrades more than once? I played before on shoshone and the ruin choices became fewer after each ruin popped.

I pick Culture first and then Free Tech.

Btw, use Pathfinders in fight before Upgrade to Comp. 50% defense in any territory + 15% defense in friendly territory makes your Pathfinder-Comp Bowman perfect defenders.

Lets say, you put your Formerly Pathfinder, new Comp Bowman to a hill tile to defense your homeland;

50% defense from Promotions
15% defense from UA
25% defense from Rough Terrain
15% defense if you have a Great General nearby

I'm mostly playing defensive when I'm playing as Shoshone. So, this is defensive strategy. If you want to be a warmonger, that may not be best idea. :)

I am glad to see this discussion because I understood that there is conventional wisdom consensus on the optimal pick order, but have been unable to find an authoritative thread or article.

Is it possible to choose the same upgrades more than once? I played before on shoshone and the ruin choices became fewer after each ruin popped.

Yes, but you can pick the same result only after two other picks. This rule actually applies to ruins for all civs, but for the Shoshone it is explicit. Also, one particular unit cannot pick weapons upgrade twice (but you could get CB upgrade for two different pathfinders). Only once with Shoshone have I been stuck picking map/barb reveal.

If you pick population and its still only a few turns in, then you can switch your build to settler right away and get a second city in place FAST. You can get a wide steamroller that never stops going that way.

A quick question, asking here because it's kinda related with this;

If I pick "Survivors" from Ancient Ruins, does it add +1 population to all of my cities or just my capital?

Thank you :)

Culture first, then Pop, then free tech. Rinse, Wash, Repeat until faith becomes available.

I agree with the consensus: culture first, faith whenever available.

Otherwise, I choose between pop, tech, or upgrade. Circumstances could dictate between those three. For example, population is most valuable when your city just grew a new citizen; if it's about to grow another one, I'll wait on it. Tech is most valuable when you've just started researching a new tech; otherwise, you risk wasting your ruin on a tech you were about to gain in one turn anyway. And I try to upgrade all the pathfinders to composite bows eventually, so you have to start upgrading them early enough to cycle through them all.

I never take gold unless I have to, and I only get culture with the first one. 20 culture is much more valuable when you're only earning +1 per turn, but later if you're getting +8 per turn from tradition and 2 monuments, that culture ruin isn't so valuable any more. I can't think of any reason to choose barbarian camps or maps.

I'm almost 100% certain I've had food towards next pop point remain after taking a pop ruin on at least one occasion. The other times I didn't pay attention, assuming it's always like that.

Was it a bug?
If not, then there's no reason to wait to grow a pop before taking a pop ruin.

I'm almost 100% certain I've had food towards next pop point remain after taking a pop ruin on at least one occasion. The other times I didn't pay attention, assuming it's always like that.

Was it a bug?
If not, then there's no reason to wait to grow a pop before taking a pop ruin.

Well, you're right that it carries over, but there's still good reason to wait until you've grown a pop: the food needed to grow a pop increases with each new citizen.

I don't have the numbers, so I'll just make them up. Let's say a city of size 2 needs 40 food to grow to 3, and at size 3 needs 60 food to grow to size 4. Your cap is size 2, sitting at 38/40 food, and growing +2 food per turn.

Scenario 1: You pop the ruin now, grow to size 3 and carry that 38 food over. Now you're 38/60 from size 4. Say your 3rd citizen is harvesting normal grassland, so you still get +2 food per turn, and you'll grow to size 4 in 11 turns. The ruin was a net +40 food.

Scenario 2: You pop the ruin one turn later. You grow to size 3, then pop the ruin to grow immediately to size 4. That citizen arrives 10 turns earlier. The ruin was a net +60 food.

That makes perfect sense.

However:
1. Pretty sure the jump in food required isn't as extreme.
2. You are more likely to be a few turns away from next pop than only one turn.
3. New pop immediately contributes science. And, in more cases than not, there are bonus yield tiles still unworked, so it also contributes at least 1 food or prod.
4. Ruin could get stolen by AI scout coming from the fog.
5. Every turn you wait, you potentially miss out on future ruins.

But, you're right, there are certainly times it's worth it to wait a bit. But just a bit.

A quick question, asking here because it's kinda related with this;

If I pick "Survivors" from Ancient Ruins, does it add +1 population to all of my cities or just my capital?

Thank you :)

Adds 1 pop to one of your cities. Not necessarily your capital.
As Browd said, it is not necessarily your capital. It seems to be your nearest city. Which will always be your capital if you have not made a 2nd city yet.

And I will generally go for the culture 1st because it is hard to beat 20 culture in the early game when that means either your 1st SP choice is 'free' or your second is essentially half-cost. I do like to choose the upgrade to Comp Bowmen 2nd regardless of the other relative strengths of the units because Ranged Units contribute XP to Great Generals when they attack barbarians (up to the non-modded Barb XP cap each unit has, as I recall, in a non-modded game) but no other form of combat against Barbarians does so.

If I spawn on plains or forest or tundra, it seems not unusual to be stalled at size 3 (or even size 2) for much too long. Size 4 to size 5 always seems to take a while (but then, that's usually when I start working on settlers), so for Shoshone I am always tempted to wait on the pop-growth choice -- but then sometimes I miss it because I run of ruins!

I agree with the consensus: culture first, faith whenever available.

Otherwise, I choose between pop, tech, or upgrade. Circumstances could dictate between those three. For example, population is most valuable when your city just grew a new citizen; if it's about to grow another one, I'll wait on it. Tech is most valuable when you've just started researching a new tech; otherwise, you risk wasting your ruin on a tech you were about to gain in one turn anyway. And I try to upgrade all the pathfinders to composite bows eventually, so you have to start upgrading them early enough to cycle through them all.

I never take gold unless I have to, and I only get culture with the first one. 20 culture is much more valuable when you're only earning +1 per turn, but later if you're getting +8 per turn from tradition and 2 monuments, that culture ruin isn't so valuable any more. I can't think of any reason to choose barbarian camps or maps.

Yea getting the barbarian maps is like opening a Christmas present to find out its a fruitcake.

That makes perfect sense.

However:
3. New pop immediately contributes science. And, in more cases than not, there are bonus yield tiles still unworked, so it also contributes at least 1 food or prod.
4. Ruin could get stolen by AI scout coming from the fog.
5. Every turn you wait, you potentially miss out on future ruins.

But, you're right, there are certainly times it's worth it to wait a bit. But just a bit.

You're absolutely right, I used an ideal scenario with which to make my point, and it won't always be like that. And I certainly don't advise just sitting next to a ruin waiting for your pop to grow. You gave very good reasons not to do that.

My point is more... let's say that I'm 3 turns from a new citizen in my cap, and I have three pathfinders, one right next to a ruin. I'll probably take something else (like tech or upgrade, or better yet faith if available). Then I'll use the NEXT ruin for the pop.

let's say that I'm 3 turns from a new citizen in my cap, and I have three pathfinders, one right next to a ruin. I'll probably take something else (like tech or upgrade, or better yet faith if available). Then I'll use the NEXT ruin for the pop.

Better to “guard” the ruin for three turns. By the time you find the next ruin, maybe ten turns out, you could again find yourself just a few turns from pop...

Top Bottom