Where do you place your academies?

Athenaeum

Prince
Since I almost always build my National College in my capital, I tend to put all my academies in my capital, so they get the 50% multiplier and I get the most of out of them.

Problem is, sometimes I start to run out of room, and I feel that I could get a lot more of food or some other resource if I sent my academies to a different city instead.

If I have a grassland next to a river, for example, I am missing out on a potential 2 food if I place my academy there.

Place them in your national college city, and if you cannot do that, place it in a city that can build an observatory.

and I usually plant great scientists on non-fresh water tiles, until fertilizer. Then it doesn't really matter.

I place it on the land :lol:

Okay, seriously, I tend to place it on capital in tile which
(*) Is land (obviously)
(*) NOT grassland or flooded plain
(*) have no luxury resource.
Preferably not place at tile with river if possible.
If you place it on grassland with river, You obviously miss 2 food from farm.

Of course I prioritize obvious tiles, such as non-freshwater grassland. But the point is I sometimes run out of obvious ones. At times ill have upward of 10 academies in my capital

Non-freshwater grassland tiles (until Fertilizer.... but by then you'll probably want to bulb the scientists anyway) are acceptable; it means the citizen working the academy tile will feed itself.

Of course I prioritize obvious tiles, such as non-freshwater grassland. But the point is I sometimes run out of obvious ones. At times ill have upward of 10 academies in my capital

Then I guess you have to do the math. Maybe build it in city with observatory unless your NC city also have observatory, or build it unless your capital will starve.

IMO, this is situational, depend on how your city looks like.

In the cap or observatory city. If the cap has an observatory as well as NC then only in the cap. honestly, I rarely have more than 1 or 2 academies because there are things to burn them for such as pisa tech, porcelain tower tech, burn through electricity to hit modern with oxford on flight. Etc..

In the cap or observatory city. If the cap has an observatory as well as NC then only in the cap. honestly, I rarely have more than 1 or 2 academies because there are things to burn them for such as pisa tech, porcelain tower tech, burn through electricity to hit modern with oxford on flight. Etc..

This.

10 academies. Really? Someone else will probably turn up with the maths but you are wasting those later scientists. They gain in power with each increase in your science rate so keep them for burning for importent later techs.

This.

10 academies. Really? Someone else will probably turn up with the maths but you are wasting those later scientists. They gain in power with each increase in your science rate so keep them for burning for importent later techs.

Anytime i get a GS I do the math. I assume the game will end on turn 300, calculate how many turns are left, and multiply that by ten or twelve (since thats roughly an average yield considering academy output increases at several points.) If that number is higher than the bulb amount, I usually build an academy. I guess i just get a lot of GS's.

And ten academies is not common but I have had it several times before, especially with Babylon.

Anytime i get a GS I do the math. I assume the game will end on turn 300, calculate how many turns are left, and multiply that by ten or twelve (since thats roughly an average yield considering academy output increases at several points.) If that number is higher than the bulb amount, I usually build an academy. I guess i just get a lot of GS's.

The bulb amount goes up later on. I guess you don't understand how their yields are calculated. The total amount of beakers your GS gives you is the same as your total science output in the last 8 turns. So in the Industrial Era, you might have maybe 250 bpt, meaning that your GS will give you 2000 science. However, in the Modern Era, after you have schools and labs, your cities will be producing maybe 800 bpt. Adding the bonus from RAs(PT and Scientific Revolution SP), you could get upwards of 8000 science per GS. You would want to stock up on GSs, as well as faith buying them, so that 8 turns after you complete your last research labs, you bulb all of them(around 10) to skip the atomic era altogether pretty much, and cruise to victory.

The bulb amount goes up later on. I guess you don't understand how their yields are calculated. The total amount of beakers your GS gives you is the same as your total science output in the last 8 turns. So in the Industrial Era, you might have maybe 250 bpt, meaning that your GS will give you 2000 science. However, in the Modern Era, after you have schools and labs, your cities will be producing maybe 800 bpt. Adding the bonus from RAs(PT and Scientific Revolution SP), you could get upwards of 8000 science per GS. You would want to stock up on GSs, as well as faith buying them, so that 8 turns after you complete your last research labs, you bulb all of them(around 10) to skip the atomic era altogether pretty much, and cruise to victory.

I completely understand that.

It's contextual. If you have very good growth in your cap and the option for more via caravans, then you can place them in really ugly spots like non-river plains. Usually, though, I prefer to put on (in order)

- Iron hills
- Non-river hills
- Cattle
- Non-river grassland

You can kind of place them anywhere though tbh, so long as you're not placing them on a luxury resource. If you place them on a lux, you will not receive the lux. Not a big deal if you have something silly like 4 gold hills in your cap, but otherwise you shouldn't do it.

Most academies I get off of university pair of scientists I place on grasslands particularly in grasslands that aren't next to the river. Grasslands that are next to river often get it easy to get good food early with the use of civil service that would make academies on these plots miss out on early extra food. If there aren't any grasslands then I would place them on ground tiles or hills even if there aren't anymore tiles. At least I could place them in tundras even and I have.

sheep(if more than 1 pasture around)>non riversided plain tile>grassland tile

You might want a fast(babylon) and free forest chop if you get mining before. Don't touch hills.

Adding the bonus from RAs(PT and Scientific Revolution SP), you could get upwards of 8000 science per GS.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but RA yields are disregarded in computing GS bulb yields, and GS bulb yields are disregarded in determining RA yields.

Top Bottom