What symbols will the new religions use?

bcaiko

Emperor
We know that "Christianity" will be split in Brave New World into Protestantism, Catholicism and Orthodoxy. There may be new Religions added, as well...who knows?

But what will be the symbols for the new Religions? The cross was an obvious choice for Christianity, but when it's split into three denominations...who gets the cross symbol? Does anyone?

They will probably each get a variation of the cross emblem. There have been many styles over the years.

The symbols are already there for the ItR scenario, they're probably just gonna use those.

The Orthodox cross is already in use by Byzantium, but Spain and Arabia have shown that doesn't necessarily matter. Don't know what they'll do for Protestantism.

They are re-using the icons used in ITR without a single doubt, as they are already in files. It's nothing fancy.

Arachnofied is right. For the protestantism, they will certainly use an angulous cross like the one that spawn in Wittenberg in ItR. For the catholics, i think they will keep the current cross.

Spliting christianity is very good. Now, when you have more than one european civ, you end up with a jewish germany, a buddhist rome or a confucianist Spain.

I agree, it was a very smart move, especially since the Eastern Orthodox is a very pretty sign.

And I really hope this won't turn into "Let' split Islam too" discussion, I know it would be fun, but the only two reasons they are splitting the religion is because of it's demand in game and the fact that they only are importing it from ITR scenario.

Catholicism could use S:t Peter's emblem: a pair of crossed keys.

They're only adding Protestantism and Eastern Orthodoxy both of which are already in the icon atlas because of the scenario. If you want to see what they look like just load up the Into the Renaissance scenario.

They're not doing any new work for this; they're just enabling the two already finished scenario denominations in the regular game.

Of course, it won't really make sense as once you split it into Catholicism, Protestantism, and Eastern Orthodoxy, suddenly Ethiopia doesn't have a historically preferred religion as they are Oriental Orthodoxy which is a derivation of Coptic Christianity which was completely separate from all three of those denominations. They'll probably just say they're Eastern Orthodox which makes no historical sense.

They are re-using the icons used in ITR without a single doubt, as they are already in files. It's nothing fancy.
They're only adding Protestantism and Eastern Orthodoxy both of which are already in the icon atlas because of the scenario. If you want to see what they look like just load up the Into the Renaissance scenario.

They're not doing any new work for this; they're just enabling the two already finished scenario denominations in the regular game.

Pretty much this. They already have the icons made, so it really just means allowing them to be used on the game.
Have a look:

(can't get Protestantism... :sad:)

On a related note - which Civs are going to prefer which religion now?

Pretty much this. They already have the icons made, so it really just means allowing them to be used on the game.
Have a look:

(can't get Protestantism... :sad:)

On a related note - which Civs are going to prefer which religion now?

From Tomatekh's Historical Religion Mod.

- Roman Catholicism (France, Austria, Spain)
- Eastern Orthodoxy (Russia, Byzantium. [Kievan Rus'])
- Oriental Orthodoxy (Ethiopia)
- Protestantism (America, England, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden)

- Sunni (Arabia, Ottoman, Songhai, [Timurids], [Mali])
- Shia ([Kilwa])
- Khariji

Grece, Russia and Byzantine are very likely to use Eastern Orthodox.

Most of Europe is likely to use Portestantism along with Polynesia and most of the MesoAmerican ones

and Catholicism is going ot be used on Celts, Spain, Poland (from I call we are primarily Catholic nation).

Eastern Orthodox nations are Russia, Byzantium, Greece, and possibly Ethiopia.
Protestant Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Netherlands, England?, Denmark?, and Iroquois?.
Catholic Spain, Austria, France, Portugal, Poland, Celts?, Aztec, Inca, Maya, and Denmark?.

?= Not sure

Grece, Russia and Byzantine are very likely to use Eastern Orthodox.

Most of Europe is likely to use Portestantism along with Polynesia and most of the MesoAmerican ones

and Catholicism is going ot be used on Celts, Spain, Poland (from I call we are primarily Catholic nation).

France, Brazil, and Austria will be Catholic. Ethiopia...Catholic or Orthodox. I'm not sure which one is more similar to their Coptic Church.

My suggestions:
Catholic - Austria, Aztec, Brazil, Celts, France, Inca, Maya, Poland, Portugal, Rome, Spain
Protestant - America, Denmark, England, Germany, Iroquois, Netherlands, Polynesia, Sweden, Zulu
Orthodox - Byzantium, Ethiopia, Greece, Russia

The only ones I'm unsure about are the Iroquois, who could easily be Catholic as well.
Also, I'm assuming Assyria will have Islam, but I could see Orthodoxy as well. I decided to include all non-Catholic eastern churches in Orthodoxy, so it would include the Ethiopian church. It would include the Assyrian church too if they wanted to go that way.

It'll probably be:

- Roman Catholicism (France, Austria, Spain, Brazil, Poland, Aztec, Celts, Inca, Maya, Portugal)
- Protestantism (America, England, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Polynesia, Iroquois, Zulu*)
- Eastern Orthodoxy (Russia, Byzantium, Greece, Ethiopia*)

-Islam (Assyria)

The problem again is Ethiopia is Oriental Orthodox, which I doubt they'll add.

The Assyrian ethnicity today is predominantly Christian (in which case, again, Oriental Orthodox makes the most sense), though if they go geography wise they might just make them Islam.

The Zulu would primarily be Zion Christian which isn't exactly Catholic, Protestant, Eastern, or Oriental. They might go Protestant simply for the predominance of Dutch/Afrikaner Calvinism in South Africa, but even in South Africa as a whole, Calvinism is less of a majority than Zion Christian. Though Zion Christian would be more related to Protestantism than Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy anyway.

I decided to include all non-Catholic eastern churches in Orthodoxy, so it would include the Ethiopian church.

But Eastern and Oriental Orthodox are nothing alike except for the Orthodox in their names. If they do that, they should really just name it Orthodoxy instead of Eastern Orthodoxy, and not use the Eastern Orthodox symbol which is unlikely.

Crucifix, the cross wooden thingy is the icon for Protestantism.

I really find it funny that we are so bored that we are speculating on what the icons might look like when who played ITR know what the 2 new icons look like LOL.

Top Bottom