AI's going to war with me to take a vassal?

Gwynnja

Deity
Here's the situation: I'm playing cat and mouse with Tokugawa. He's willing to capitulate, but I'd rather have his land than a crappy vassal. I share a continent with Toku and Darius, and Julius and Qin are on another continent that isn't separated by any oceans.

Toku doesn't really have any friends (shocker, right,) but Julius and Darius are Pleased and Cautious with me, respectively. Qin is friendly. I don't know Darius or Qin's power, but I doubt they're as high as me. Julius is 1.1 of my power.

What I'm worried about is one of my neighbors DOW me in order to take Toku as a vassal and protect him. Anyone know what the parameters are for this to happen?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Civ4ScreenShot0047.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0047.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 78
Qin won't take him as a vassal, because they have to want to declare war on you and only Cathy will declare at Friendly IIRC.

Julius and Darius don't appear to like Toku enough to want to vassalise him.

You chief concern would be Darious. he is furious with Toko and may declare war on him as you continue to drop Toko's power numbers. Toko may then capitulate to darius. thus depriving you of his lands.

The AI is usually rather reluctant to go into a existing war by taking a Vassal. No one seem to like Toko enough either (no surprise here). Nor does he like someone enough to ask...

If your power rating drops low however, and they don't like you anyway, they might just decide to declare on you for the fun of it (without taking Japan as vassal...). I.e. Qin Shi would make me feel uneasy. The jerk does backstab me on regular basis...

You chief concern would be Darious. he is furious with Toko and may declare war on him as you continue to drop Toko's power numbers. Toko may then capitulate to darius. thus depriving you of his lands.
No, he shouldn't. Since 3.13 (i think, maybe earlier) the AI will capitualte to the power that caused the most damage in War. If Darius jump in later, Toko will still capitulate only to you (unless you bail out without vassalzing him).

Top Bottom