Gold or G&K or BNW

neepster

Chieftain
Ok, I have the base version of Civ 5 from Steam, which I play on and off, but generally not constantly. I'm not that great at it as I generally just play a balanced game and don't spam TPs and such (and hence rarely win above Prince).

Which is the better buy? Get the Gold upgrade ($20) or Gods and Kings ($29) or Brave New World ($29)?

Any thoughts? Would appreciate the groups' input. :D

Last time I looked, Gold gives G&K plus all other DLC. Will not give BNW.

Assuming this is still the case, here is my advice.

1) Get Gold. G&K is a great expansion that adds enough new gameplay ideas that you'll have a LOT to chew on but hopefully won't get overwhelmed. If you're still playing civ in 6 months, pick up BNW at potentially reduced price then.

2) Get BNW. This will give you all the new game mechanics for both G&K and BNW, plus the new civs of BNW. I don't think it will give you any other DLC though, so you won't get a handful of civs that Gold gives you. You also might be overwhelmed by all the new mechanics that are introduced at you at one time.

So as far as value goes, I think Gold wins. You get more civs, and the G&K mechanics really are fun and fresh.

As far as depth goes, BNW wins because it includes the mechanics of both games. But that's really a lot to take in all at once, especially if you don't play a whole lot.

if you like vanilla, you'll love G&K. and BNW seems great, even greater than G&K.

Ah yes.. I didn't realize that Gold came with G&K... I guess it makes sense to get Gold first. Although it looks like the Steam Summer Sale starts on Thurs so maybe it makes sense to wait a few days.

Thanks all!

Top Bottom