Venice and AI

George is Angry

Chieftain
Has anyone else noticed that an AI Venice doesn't use it's Merchants of Venice to puppet city-states? I gave the AI like 3 just for horsehockys and gigs and it's been 200 turns and they're still just standing there. I even plopped them inside the boundaries of other city-states. :(

Well they ARE Merchants of Venice so...

Probably went on strike, waited for pension to kick in, relaxed, and retired.

very possible that the AI doesn't know to use them if you cheated to give them.

Edit: Oh wow, did I make any sense in this post at all?

Either way, I expect a patch to fix the bugs that are natural to pop up. Very soon. Possibly before the day is out.

If this doesn't get fixed when I get the game I just migh let Venice live when I encounter them...

Edit:
Dammit, this was supposed to go the Venice and AI thread.

Moderator Action: Moved

My first game had Venice, and he used his Great Merchant to take two nearby city states. The ONE THING I was surprised about was that you CANNOT liberate them. It was annex, puppet, or raze.

Well maybe its a bit primitive, but doesnt the Merchant of Venice is a UU of Venice and so you as a another civ are donating them your Great Merchants, not a Merchant of Venice. Then the Venice AI cant do a thing with Great Merchants other than usuall stuff.

My first game had Venice, and he used his Great Merchant to take two nearby city states. The ONE THING I was surprised about was that you CANNOT liberate them. It was annex, puppet, or raze.

Sounds similar to Austria's UA.

I don't know what the op did wrong to make the unit not work.

In a normal game with AI Venice, it does "buy" city states to expand.

Has anyone else noticed that an AI Venice doesn't use it's Merchants of Venice to puppet city-states? I gave the AI like 3 just for horsehockys and gigs and it's been 200 turns and they're still just standing there. I even plopped them inside the boundaries of other city-states. :(

No, it puppetted three of the four in the game I just played, and was quick off the mark doing it too. I'm not sure why it then switched away from merchant production and never annexed Ragusa, though.

Hmm, that I didn't know - I gave up my effort to liberate Ormuz in favour of taking Venice itself.

No, it puppetted three of the four in the game I just played, and was quick off the mark doing it too. I'm not sure why it then switched away from merchant production and never annexed Ragusa, though.

I don't know how fast this is, but Venice can get 3 MoV very quickly.

1) Optics.
2) Open Liberty, get Settler Policy.
3) Finish Libery, choose Great Merchant.

At that point, though, it needs 400 points, I believe, to get another Merchant. That might explain the '3' thing.

In my first test game Venice had bought a city before I even met him.

Great Merchant does not have the ability to purchase a City State.
That unique ability is for Great Merchant of Venice. How is it that you pop 3 Great Merchant of Venice and gave them to Venice?
There are 2 different units..

Great Merchant does not have the ability to purchase a City State.
That unique ability is for Great Merchant of Venice. How is it that you pop 3 Great Merchant of Venice and gave them to Venice?
There are 2 different units..

Aye, no kidding. Maybe the map's just bugged when I used Reveal All. Guess I'll find out when I finally run into them later if it worked.

Wait so you get a settler with Liberty policy? What is the city that settler founds called?

Top Bottom