Siam's phoney war

Walter R

Great Engineer
After playing several Emperor games on the bounce I thought I'd drop back to King for a breather. Same settings (England, small continents, epic, 8/8). Spawned on a not-very small continent with China nearest, Siam and Austria to my South.
China DOWd shortly after I founded York - I rush-bought an archer and settled down to a long defensive war. She threw a lot at me to start with then concentrated on settling two other cities, but no peace deal.
Then Siam DOWd. Rammy's tactics were to show me lots of units but only move one into range occasionally. And so it went on. Every so often one or the other would offer peace in exchange for York. I smuggled a settler out of York and founded Nottingham eventually. Then I got longbows, captured a chinese city and they both offered peace next turn. In all that time (about 1000 years) Rammy kept showing me crossbows, pikemen, various horse units etc. etc. but only ever moved a single unit at a time into range and never actually attacked. At one point he trotted off and had a war with MT, then he was back. My guess was that Wu had bribed him to DOW - but if so why did he keep it up so long?

After playing several Emperor games on the bounce I thought I'd drop back to King for a breather. Same settings (England, small continents, epic, 8/8). Spawned on a not-very small continent with China nearest, Siam and Austria to my South.
China DOWd shortly after I founded York - I rush-bought an archer and settled down to a long defensive war. She threw a lot at me to start with then concentrated on settling two other cities, but no peace deal.
Then Siam DOWd. Rammy's tactics were to show me lots of units but only move one into range occasionally. And so it went on. Every so often one or the other would offer peace in exchange for York. I smuggled a settler out of York and founded Nottingham eventually. Then I got longbows, captured a chinese city and they both offered peace next turn. In all that time (about 1000 years) Rammy kept showing me crossbows, pikemen, various horse units etc. etc. but only ever moved a single unit at a time into range and never actually attacked. At one point he trotted off and had a war with MT, then he was back. My guess was that Wu had bribed him to DOW - but if so why did he keep it up so long?

I want to say the AI was trying to intimidate you, but we all know Civ AI isn't as good as that.

Could be two things:

Siam was trying to lure your units into range of his cities and ranged units. Of course you won't be doing that. :lol:

or he was in pact with China or China pay them up to attack you, in which case, Siam would get gpt and luxuries from deal, but won't lift a finger to attack you. He just didn't care that much....

but I doubt AI is that smart. :lol:

I take it you're playing G&K and not BNW. In G&K for the AI to even consider peace you must actively engage in war and start winning. In BNW all you need to do is wait, although kicking some ass will expedite the peace deal.

Thanks for replies, yes Phil G&K. Tend to agree that the AI is not smart enough to intimidate or lure, hence assumed it was part of a deal. BTW they were both (yes even the normally picky Wu) keen to be friends shortly after?! Civ continues to throw up surprises - I love it.
On reflection, it's probably because I haven't DOWd anyone yet...

hmm, Wu isn't aggressive in BWN as she was in GnK. I've rarely ever seen her attack unless you really provoke her, like dropping city or two right next to her, denouncing her or stealing her land.

Otherwise, she just drops 2-3 cities (I've even seen her going OCC) and do nothing. :/
It's sad, because she was known to be tough cookie back in GnK thanks to her mass CKN spam.

Siam on the other had is and always was a hypocrite. He'll denounce you for going to war, but he has no problem beating up weaker civs then his. Biggest hypocrite of all AIs.

Top Bottom