What's a decent map type?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
I'm been playing on tectonics but I keep getting these skinny islands with no place to go.

Any suggestions?

I like fractal. With fractal you never know what you'll get. You might get several continents or you might get one semi-pangea.

Frontier's pretty good, too, IMO. You can change the settings in it to make more than one continent, and I think it makes some pretty interesting maps.

I almost always play on Pangea, its a bit boring but it's a good way to learn the basics.

Fractal is pretty fun as heerlo said, and can be VERY random.

I've been playing Terra quite a bit - I really like it.

Of late i have settled on continents as i have been playing random civs and i find continents has a good balance between the use of naval power and land power so all civs get opportunities use their bonuses.

What differences have folks noticed with “Pangaea Plus” (versus Pangaea) and “Continents Plus” (versus continents)? The description just says extra scripting for city state placement. It feels to me like the CS are harder to get to, so less temptation for worker stealing cheese. I still find ice-locked sea resources and land, so that is a bit disappointing.

The variation of map types is part of the reason why Civ5 is such a good game, I would say that they all have something to offer by means of a different challenge. There is one type of map that I do not like and that is the Highlands map, it is a logistical nightmare especially when playing domination games!

What differences have folks noticed with “Pangaea Plus” (versus Pangaea) and “Continents Plus” (versus continents)? The description just says extra scripting for city state placement. It feels to me like the CS are harder to get to, so less temptation for worker stealing cheese. I still find ice-locked sea resources and land, so that is a bit disappointing.

In simple terms all it really means is all/most CS are placed out on islands and chains of island traverse the oceans so on continents plus you should be able to get to the second continent as soon as you have any ships as there should be at least 1 shallow water route created by the extra islands and with pangea plus the city states are just dotted around offshore on islands with usually a chain running east to west/west to east so you can reach the other side of the continent by shallow sea routes.

Other than that they are the same old script.

There's always PerfectWorld3 from the mods section. One of the prettiest map scripts for sure (and so many options if you're willing to delve into it).

One I really like but doesn't get mentioned much is Inland Sea. I like strong, landlocked capitals, and IS provides lots of rivers and tends to be roomy. It can also be a paradise for scouting, and I'll often find ruins well after turn 30. The map can actually be a little too roomy on the large setting, leading to unsettled land late in the game and problems with barbarians. It's not hard to fix that by turning up the number of AI civs or CS.

Continents is my favourite by far. I enjoy ground as well as naval things and continesnt provide botb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm more concerned with the amount of open space at the start then the map type. I want enough room near my capital to place my next two cities nearby. Often there are city-states or other civs crowding in.

If you play with mods enabled, tectonics map script produces the most awesome maps I've ever seen: Good continents, island chains, etc. I haven't played a game with any default map type since I started using that one. FYI, the worlds are a bit bigger than the normal settings, so maybe increase your number of civs a little bit. I find the largest setting with 14 or 15 civs gives enough room for some expansion without conflict but also creates enough tension to keep it interesting. You can also up the default city-states to 28 with plenty of room and that helps if you have a CS gobbler like Austria, Venice or Mongolia (or all three!).

I've played it with water based and land based civs and been pretty happy both times.

I'm more concerned with the amount of open space at the start then the map type. I want enough room near my capital to place my next two cities nearby. Often there are city-states or other civs crowding in.

Look for the “plus” maps, you prolly have them. See what Fluffball wrote above, and it conforms to my experience. The CS are moved out quite a bit.

Perfectworld3 and Communitas are great (both mods). I prefer PerfectWorld; usually more single mountains for observatories

Top Bottom