A Very Well Known but Questionable Acronym

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomoyo

Fate
It is generally accepted that words like "the" and "of" are excluded when making acronyms. In some cases, it is put in.

However, in the acronym "SOB", why is the "O" included, and the "A" left out? "Sob" is already a word, and S.O.B. takes too long to type. Why is it not "SOAB"? "SOB" also sounds like "Saab". Why not make it sound like "Sobe"?

I better not get banned for this.

The "A" is not really needed. "SOB" works fine.

You expect people who swear to be good at spelling? :confused:

Perfection said:
I'm pretty good at spelling.

Sorry. You expect people who swear to be correct to the point of anal-retention? :mischief:

thestonesfan said:
The "A" is not really needed. "SOB" works fine.
"SB" works better, but it may sound like "Espy".

Tomoyo said:
"SB" works better, but it may sound like "Espy".
No, SB doesn't roll as well, besides it already stands for Strong Bad.

Bootstoots said:
Son Of a (synonym for female dog). ;)

Is that so rude in America that you have to acronymise it?? Well, that just ties in with what I said in the thread on "profanity" - different standards in different countries. I'd consider it offensive, obviously, but hardly a swear word.

Another suggestion: What about SAB?

It sounds better if you are deacronymizing it. (Son a [is this disallowed?])

Because if it was SAB it would look too much like my handle here at CF, and Thunderfall wouldn't stand for that with all the new profanity rules, so TF ruled that it would be SOB ;)

Plotinus said:
It's not an acronym that I know. What does it stand for?
It's kinda like SOS (save our souls), but SOB means (save our butts), or SOAB (save our awesome butts)

stratego said:
It's kinda like SOS (save our souls), but SOB means (save our butts), or SOAB (save our awesome butts)
According to the American Heritage College Dictionary, it doesn't. Trust me, I did not intentionally look it up.

Here's the lowdown, straight out of my arse.

SOB is SOB because it is slang, and in the initial slang saying of the elongated phrase it is not Son of a B1tch, it's Son offa B1tch... As if you were some old cowboy.

Bah. Save yourself a lot of trouble and call people puppies. Means the same thing. You accurséd puppy, you!

Why stop at dogs, anyway, when there are so many other animals out there? Be imaginative, you stepchild of a sow. You sibling of a cygnet. You hydrocephalic half-hamster, you!

See? Much more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom