Strategy for Mexico?

Looking for any kind of victory for Mexico, especially the UHV.

There's something interesting I found to make your victory easier: If you want to play as Mexico, start in the 1700 AD scenario as Spain, and build your empire around the area of your desired civ to make them have an advantage (same thing when you want to play as Colombia or Argentina, or starting as Portugal when you want to play as Brazil, as England if you want to play as America or Canada, and so on).

I want some advice on the following, this may be right or wrong:
1. City placement. What I've figured out:
-Somehow, Las Vegas is an awful city placement; it doesn't grow a lot and has low production. Even Nogales at the end of the Gulf of California, or San Diego/Tijuana is better.
-Los Angeles at California's, western tip.
-San Francisco two tiles north of LA.
-San Antonio, some two or three tiles north of Monterrey, two tiles west of New Orleans, and on the Rio Grande (I don't remember the exact place but you have to settle that place ASAP or the French will take it).
-Santa Fe some two tiles north of San Antonio. This is a very good city placement.
-Fuerte de San Miguel on Seattle.
-Montana near the gold and silver north of California.
-Tampa, north of your starting cottage in Florida.
-Fort Pilar, in the southwestern tip of the Philippines, assuming you are interested in conquering the Philippines when you play as Mexico.
-Oaxaca, one tile south of your stone quarry in Mexico.
-I tried with La Paz de California, and Miami, but those are awful for production.
-My main questions here are: What cities should I build? what should I build on them?
2. General strategy. What I've found out:
-While you're Spain, build as many farms and windmills on Mexico's fat cross. Make Mexico City work as many tiles around it as possible, even taking away those that were worked by other cities. Once you have like 17 population on Mexico city, start working on Merchants. Build as many Great Merchants as possible and settle them on Mexico City. If Great Engineers pop out, build Wonders with them. If other Great People come out, use them for Golden Ages.
-Your Great People farms would be Mexico City, California and Santa Fe, and therefore it's important that you build Markets and Groceries there.
-Wage war against Spain until you've driven them out of North America, the Caribbean and the Philippines. Watch out for America because they will declare war once they research Railroad and spawn armies at California. Some Cannons and Rurales will do it.
-Your best cities will be Mexico City and Santa Fe.
-As for civics, adopt Republic, and also adopt Capitalism or Industrialism, and Egalitarianism as soon as you can. Autocracy is good for the Military but Republic is good for the Great Merchants. Once you have had your Golden Age for the UHV, adopt Dynasticism.
-As for Mexico City, try to prioritize Great Merchants, build the Opera Theatre for Happiness, the National Park for Health, and any Great Merchant National Wonder, like the Stock Exchange or the Olympic Park. Focus your Wonders on Mexico, California, and Santa Fe.
-My main questions here are: What and how should I build? And I mean buildings, units, and so on.
3. Technologies. What I've found out:
-First thing you do is research Biology. You can try with researching Medicine, Communism and Artillery afterwards, so you can trade them for better technologies with more advanced civs.
-Focus on Espionage on America. Steal as many technologies from them as you can.
-I know the next patch is coming soon, but meanwhile, somehow Mexico has either Democracy nor Nationalism, unlike Colombia and Argentina.
-My main questions here are: Is that strategy a good idea? What and how should I research? Do I steal technologies or do I research them myself?

Do you have a better idea? Do you have any suggestions? Let me know.

Top Bottom