I tried a new strategy - mongols

Chomes99

Chieftain
So I started a new game with random leaders on emperor/standard/fractal/epic, and I ended up being the Mongols. I didnt have much experience using Khan, so I looked at his traits and decided to exploit them the best I could. This meant, going to war with city states, using horses a lot, and using the great general (Khan) ability to the most.

Needless to say, it resulted in the worst diplo relations i've ever had. I tooked out the closest city state as soon as I could, and quickly everyone turned against me. I didnt bother building much besides horses a worker, a few buildings in my capital. It was basically a horse factory and I didnt have many buildings to build because of my tech focus on military. Also totally neglecting religion.

I easily took another 4 city states and the Viking/Danish(?) capital. Before I knew it I had huge unhappiness and losing 30 gpt. I could barely keep from going bankrupt by getting gold in peace treaties and trading off my extra luxuries at low low prices. I was constantly at war with some one, sometimes 4 civs at once, but somehow I managed survive and become the points leader. Theadora (my closest neighbor) was able to build 4 wonders before I was able to take her out. I now have positive happiness and plus 9 gpt. and I am gearing up to take out Atilia (my biggest on-continent threat) with my Keshiks vs his knights.

I recently lost two undefended puppeted city states to the Danes, but I didnt seem to care, because they were so far away and I still held their capital.

I am pretty confident that once I take out Atila, I will be set to rule my continent and spam out universities to catch up to the Celts on another continent (almost tied for points). I think I have a pretty good chance at winning, and I am pretty surprised.

Being reckless and super aggressive can actually work!

So I started a new game with random leaders on emperor/standard/fractal/epic, and I ended up being the Mongols. I didnt have much experience using Khan, so I looked at his traits and decided to exploit them the best I could. This meant, going to war with city states, using horses a lot, and using the great general (Khan) ability to the most.

You forgot Keshiks in your list, they are without doubt the strongest thing about the Mongols. No unit can come close to their lethality. While your tactic might have worked, I avoid doing too much warring with the Mongols until Keshiks come around, as that would delays them. Once you have, it's a trivial matter to own a continent.

Top Bottom