Does anybody else find domination tedious?

Chee

Warlord
I rarely play for it as it just takes so much effort...

I tend to give up halfway through even though I could easily go on and win.

I play at Emperor / Immortal usually on Continents.

I think I've only bothered to do it once, and that was on an Archipelago map. I like going to war and conquering, but doing it across the whole map is boring to me.

Of course. I like huge maps with max opponents (and city states) so I've only conquered the whole map in CiV once. EXTREMELY tedious. Actually, almost all end games are tedious. They should find a way to infuse more challenge and fun into the late game.

I usually kill a few civ's and then just turtle up and win via one of the other victory conditions.

At tech parity, it's extremely tedious and I just stop after conquering my own continent.

However, when my research rate is good enough and I can get bombers, battleships or even stealth bombers a lot earlier than the AI, it only takes a few turns to wipe them out.
Tech advantage is only useful when you have the policies and the money to rushbuy or upgrade advanced military though. So prepare in advance.

Nah, other way around for me. Sitting and clicking next turn repeatedly gets tiresome and half the time I will just quit out of boredom.

The only part about it that gets bad is when you clear up one area of the map then need to try and move everything to the other side to finish up (and of course half the units get confused along the way). I haven't had a chance to play around with airports yet, but that may make the process easier.

To be perfectly honest, I still find the end game slightly tedious no matter what victory type and no matter how much I'm winning, losing or right in the middle of the pack. A billion times better than G&K but still

The best part of the game is the struggle to win. Once winning is academic, who cares?

At the end of G&K I started retiring out of games once it was clear that I had enough overwhelming advantages to win, E.G. a third the map & no other runaway, half-era tech lead, etc. In BNW I've noticed it is a little less certain since cultural pressure hits the big runaways the hardest, and there are more tools to combat tech runaways.

Not really, especially now that tech parity or superiority is far from given because of 5% science penalty. I find it interesting trying to figure out a way to take out civs all over the world simultaneously sometimes at tech parity. Sure a lot of times I know I will win and it's just moving units in place but sometimes they put up a good fight. Zulu did in my first game, those impi were awesome, taking out my rifles. No match for arty hidden behind mountains though ;)

Domination doesn't have to be a grind.

You only need to own capitals to win, you don't have to take over literally ever city.

Heh, I would've agreed before the introduction of the XCOM Squad, but now, in the era I prefer to end games, a Domination victory is definitely feasible. I came close (experimenting with Portugal on King), but I ended up winning the Science victory before I could steamroll the rest of the world. Otherwise, Domination is horribly tedious and I just don't know how warmongers manage. Kudos to them, though.

edit: yeah, but some of us just don't like the attrition-slog through the civs, or we don't like it after a certain point. Even if it's only capitals, that can become difficult on larger maps

I rarely ever go for domination wins. My favored victory condition is science and to go tall, four, maybe five cities. I'll go to war if I have to but I'm with you, it is way too tedious and I find the unhappiness (at least in G&K, haven't tried a domination in BNW) really slows you down.

I actually enjoy playing a domination only game. It lets me build up a nice civ and advanced army and have to fight off a more aggressive ai. When I used to play strategy games like c&c with friends over lan we would have a set time where we could build up armies and our base then attack. It's pretty much like that here, you can keep going for hundreds of more turns and get all the technology, explore the whole map, etc. It's not completely rushed.

On large maps it is rather tedious because of how strong cities are. What I tend to to do is rush for Xcom soldiers, use a bunch of Sea trade routes to up the hammers on cities to produce them in 1-2 turns and just spam them at every city until everything is captured. If the enemy attacks you, once you have captured an enemy city you can paradrop them back to defend.

It's always been tedious until battleships/artillery/planes come into existence. Late game warfare can keep my attention. :nuke:

Nah, other way around for me. Sitting and clicking next turn repeatedly gets tiresome and half the time I will just quit out of boredom.

The only part about it that gets bad is when you clear up one area of the map then need to try and move everything to the other side to finish up (and of course half the units get confused along the way). I haven't had a chance to play around with airports yet, but that may make the process easier.

Could not agree more. I can't imagine having fun with just 4-5 cities and hitting end turn all the time until I win. Not even having to move more than a few (or perhaps any!) units each turn I find very, very boring.

Of course when I plan to win through a domination victory I usually play standard or small maps, and it can still get tedious.

There is a way to make it a little bit less tedious though. If you cripple your enemy military enough and you build up your own enough, they will basically offer all of their cities for ten turns of peace. This can save up a lot of time especially when they have all those 1tile islands in the middle of nowhere.

To be honest I just try and snipe the capitals whenever I can. OFC most of the time you have to wade through 20 cities, and since I convince myself that I try to dispose their corrupt governments and save them, I don't nuke :lol: Airports finally give you the option of using those old military focused cities (you know the one who has every military wonder and produces WW2 veterans without a single day of actual combat? :lol:),but since my conquests effectively start after artillery I usually don't have enough of a time-frame to wait specifically for them.

Top Bottom