Thoughts on Diablo III?

I don't expect the game to be bad, I'm just not into mindless rpg's anymore (if it can really be called an rpg). If you think about it. In hindsight, Diablo 1 and 2 weren't all that great. Some of the visuals were unique, and that's what I remember most about the games are certain maps and areas. And for some reason I remember the Butcher. I'll never forget him.

Not everyone likes something, even if it were absolutely great. I think the mass concensus will be that Diablo and Diablo II were indeed great games, and the expectation will be that Diablo III will continue in that tradition.

However, no matter what is said in early reports, vids, etc. there is one absolute truth here:

Diablo III is a Blizzard game, and Blizzard doesnt make suck games. Ever.

I was a huge fan of D1&2. I predict I will be a huge fan of D3 as well.

Ever? A lot of people I know would argue that they have completely ruined World of Warcraft. Blizzard is not immune to making bad games. They have an overwhelmingly positive track record but not everything they touch turns to gold.

Ever? A lot of people I know would argue that they have completely ruined World of Warcraft. Blizzard is not immune to making bad games. They have an overwhelmingly positive track record but not everything they touch turns to gold.

Actually, I dont think there is any way anyone could call WoW anything but a great game and probably the most successful online game in the history of gaming.

But the fact remains that just about every single title Blizzard has released since 1995 has indeed been 'gold', and they have set the industry standard for well done games. It would be an absolute shock if that didnt continue with Diablo III, especially since it is one of their primary franchise titles.

Rares and magic items may have random modifiers but if you are looking for a certain unique or set item, rune, etc. there are very clearly monsters that give you better odds of getting those particular items.

Which, as you said, is still 100 times better than WoW's system. Actually, I am quite aware of what you are saying, which is related to why, earlier in the thread, I said I always loathed the style of play that required hunting for specific items. I let things happen to me, never really went out of my way to obtain specific items and never created builds based on needing specific unique or set items. One of the things that aggravated me the most about looking for D2 character builds on the internet was that most of them had item requirements or "strong suggestions" as to what gear you needed to be effective as that build. I don't want that.

They are still some of the best games around and I still play them. The main attractions of Diablo were: completely random dungeons and most importantly random loot falling from any monster in the game, giving you this addictive "oh man I need a better sword, maybe THIS skeleton will give it to me" feel. Also, character builds to try and most effectively kill all these minions very quickly... Most game nowadays seem to have monsters that take many hits to kill whereas in Diablo you could quickly dispatch huge amounts of enemies. It was more fast-paced.

If you're in for story, then no. There are days I wanna play Fallout New Vegas or Planescape Torment, then there are the days I only have one hour ahead of me before I go to bed and I had to work all day long outside and I'm pooped out. Then I'll be playing a mindless Action RPG with that thrill in it.

The random loot is very important, it's the core mechanic of this sort of game to me. If you don't like the cheesy feeling of random drops and "holy crap new set of armor", then of course it's not for you. Random loot is more than just the way it is in World of Warcraft for instance. And I hope the way it is in WoW doesn't enter DIII. Thing is, in WoW, you can go on thotbot or something like this and know which monsters have what odds of giving you what exactly. I just don't like that at all.

Planescape Torment is still an amazing game after all these years. :D

I'm with Mobby on this one - you may not like all of Blizzard's games, but I don't think anyone can argue that any of their games in the last 15 years or so were actually bad games. I don't see Diablo 3 somehow breaking that trend.

I just wish they would have stuck with the classic isometric graphics and stayed clear of 3D.

Oh I didn't say any of their games are bad, I still love WoW. I was just saying I know a lot of people who think it sucks now :p. I have never played Starcraft or Starcraft 2 though so my opinion of Blizzard is 100% Warcraft and Diablo.

I have never played either Starcraft either and have no interest in doing so either.

Just not my thing. :)

I'm with Mobby on this one - you may not like all of Blizzard's games, but I don't think anyone can argue that any of their games in the last 15 years or so were actually bad games. I don't see Diablo 3 somehow breaking that trend.

I'll third this. I'm not their biggest fan - the only Blizzard games I've really liked are the two Lost Vikings and Diablo 2 - but their games are exceptionally well made. The only real criticism I can level at them is a lack of creativity, but when you can take other peoples ideas and implement them as well as Blizzard, I guess you don't really need to

[to_xp]Gekko;10705127 said:
You have never played starcraft???? O.o

I don't play that many real time strategy games, I like my strategy games turn based. I hate memorizing build orders :p.

Eh I've played enough Warhammer 40K games to get the gist of Starcraft's story, no need to play a game type I don't enjoy just to retread that ground ;).

I don't play that many real time strategy games, I like my strategy games turn based. I hate memorizing build orders :p.

Thats only really needed in multi-player. The campaign game, not so much as your options are sometimes limited via the current mission - sometimes you cant build anything at all, but have to make do with what you got.

If anything the game is worth playing for the storyline and cutscenes are simply amazing. Whenever I play a game from Blizzard like that I dont feel i'm just playing another RTS game, but actually feel like I am participating in a book or something.

Eh I've played enough Warhammer 40K games to get the gist of Starcraft's story, no need to play a game type I don't enjoy just to retread that ground ;).

Ah...no.

While you may equate the humans/zerg/protoss along the WH 40k lines of human/tryanid/eldar the two are quite different in their story background, not to mention the different game mechanics of the games covering the two.

That truly is comparing apples and organges, and I dont view one as a spin-off of the other in any way, especially since I have played games covering both storylines, and even read quite a bit of the background (especially in the case of WH 40k).

Again, if you dont try one just because you think its a knockoff of the other, your missing out on some great material.

Apparently the ;) wasn't enough to show that I was being tongue-in-cheek. I'm well aware they are different, I've just never cared enough about Starcraft to spend money on the games.

Apparently there's going to be important announcements about D3 on August 1st. Hopefully it's actual dates on beta, target dates, you know, anything that isn't just a surprise new class or some development news that they could have released without saying it's "an important announcement coming".

The important D3 news is probably:

"Blizzard has received a lot of questions recently about Diablo 3, and we just want to assure players that, don't worry, your favorite 'of the Whale' items will be in game!"

Hahahaha, you gotta love Blizzard humor. :)

Top Bottom