The world considers you a villain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kark

Mad berserker
OK, I've never before defied an Apostolic Palace resolution, but I just couldn't give my precious Beijing with Hagia Sofia and the Great Wall to the stupid Qin of China. So now in every city with Buddhism I've got 5 :mad: people. Question: For how long? For ever?

I think it lasts until you vote "yes" in a successful resolution, at least that's how it works in the UN.
You also lose your full member status when defying, no more two hammers for every AP building. (Only if you have the AP religion as your state religion though, if you don't you can't be a full member.)

Meaning that it practically ruins your game if you have to defy, as your empire . .. .. .. .s up pretty much. I hate, hate, hate the AP for this :/

@Kark
If I remember correctly, it's 30 turns on marathon (long time since I defied a resolution, and only because of that thing.)

EDIT: Don't listen to my memory! I stand corrected by Krikkitone (see below).

Hello Everyone,

This is one of my favourite features of CivIV. Often times I have no problems with the AP, but the UN gives me issues. I love to run Representation, Bureaucracy, Emancipation, Free Market, Org Religion/Pacifism.

When someone builds the UN, I will defy people trying to force Universal Suffrage, and possibly Enviornmentalism if I can handle the unhappiness. Usually I'll simply vote "no" on Free Religion, but not defy. Because of these odd civis, I learn which leaders favor to vote Emanciptation and Free Religion, and try to vote them in. For example, in my experience Napeolean likes to push Emancipation, where as Mansa Musa likes to push for Universal Suffrage. Thus if I become the tie breaker, I'll vote in Napeolean, even if he's my worst enemy.

I've had up to 15 "The world considers you a villain" in my cities, due to my desire to keep Representation! :lol:

I decided to declare war on one of guys in my religion, and the first bill they tried to pass was "stop the war of Qin Shi", which I had to defy, cause I was busy killing him (it would have passed since everyone loves him). Then 2 turns later they try to pass "stop the war against bromanbro".....+10, that's quite the penalty for vetoing.

Solution:

Find city with AP

Raze city with AP

so I should gift away my biggest city and then raze it? :crazyeye:

Keeping north asia out of my south pacific is taking its toll hard.

The AP unhappiness is pretty grim. No doubt about it. Nevertheless, I am sometimes prepared to take it. If you are running Rep and have some luxuries it can be manageable. And the alternative is sometimes unthinkable...give up that hard-earned city, which may be the key to your whole game plan.

I play on marathon and it lasts a long long time. It may be impractical to take and raze the AP city, because for example it is on the other side of the continent.

Nevertheless I like the AP system, because it makes war more challenging and difficult. Grim work is work well done.

well...

the way to defeat the AP is to take the AP city fast....

I had a recent game where I invaded, got a resolution to stop, which I defied, and took the AP city right away, thus invalidating the vote and I got no penalty at all, which was nice :)

The AP is nastiest in that middle zone when it's religion is present in your core cities, but you simply lack the population and diplomacy to control it. It's also rather dangerous when you don't have it at all, as it leaves you vulnerable to an AP dogpile. It's pretty okay to defy when you have a single junk city with that religion, and can happily veto the vote without major consequences. Alternatively, time your attack just after the vote is called, it gives you a 10 or so turns of freedom to grab a bunch of veto-capable cities.

This is why I don't built the AP or the UN.

I always try to build the AP or get into the AP religion. The villain and other problems area pain, true. However, when the AP is in another religion, it can get worse. Holy wars against you, etc.

One way to nerf the AP is to build it and run some obscure religion nobody else has when it's built and then switch back to your main religion. You get the hammer bonuses for Temples, etc. and can usually control the vote. Only spread the AP religion in your cities.

The AP is another of the complex game features to manage. It can often be manipulated to your advantage.

The UN I find harder to control. I don't build it unless I'm going for diplomation. I find UN diplomatic victory much more dicey. I've even built the UN and lost the game due to somebody else being elected. Only build the UN if you can control it.

The most I had is 25 unhappiness for being a villain :), and that was because I thought enemy espionage is the reason for that, instead of my defying, now I know...

The AP is indeed vile especially when it is far away and thus not easy to destroy. The preventive measures for keeping out all religions that might get the AP really cramp one's options or require serious micromanagement. Too bad there is not an option to ban a specific religion after it spreads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom