Corporations (Brave New World)

Envoy

Chieftain
Adds Corporations to Civilization V, Brave New World.

This mod provides an alternate way for your civilization to amass a fortune in Gold, including:
- 8 new Buildings, 1 enhanced
- 7 new World Wonders
- 7 new Luxury Resources
- 3 new Religious Beliefs
- 3 new Ideological Tenets
- 3 enhanced Social Policies
- 2 new Technologies, 1 enhanced
- 2 new National Wonders
- 1 enhanced Leader Trait

As businesses grow, they often find it necessary to raise large amounts of operating capital in order to expand their operations beyond a certain point, or to meet operating expenses. In these cases, one option available is to form a corporation and "go public", or sell shares of the business to investors. This arrangement allows the business to expand rapidly, while spreading the risks of the expansion among many people, reducing individual risk. Corporations also have legal advantages such as the right to sue, and the limitation of liability for the corporation's debt to the amount originally invested by the owners. Corporations as legal entities have existed since ancient Rome, although the joint-stock company as it is known today didn't begin operating until sometime in the 16th century.

This mod attempts to translate the Corporations concept from CIV 4 to the world of CIV 5. Some of your old favorite Corporations return and are joined by new Corporations developed specially for this mod.

Be sure to check out the new entries in the Game Concepts section of the Civilopedia, under Gold and the Economy, to learn about the new mechanics introduced.

Requires Brave New World.

Special thanks:
- EUGENE
- DJ_MD5
- Pazyryk
- framedarchitecture
- killmeplease

Current version: 1

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171044751

Civfanatics: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=21731

I've been working very long and hard on this update for BNW. Please let me know if you find any bugs or issues and I will address them as quickly as I can. I hope you enjoy!

I really love this mod. But could you add some corporation summary information like World Religions Overview to show the Headquarters, Founders, and the Number of the cites of different corporation? thx. :)

I really love this mod. But could you add some corporation summary information like World Religions Overview to show the Headquarters, Founders, and the Number of the cites of different corporation? thx. :)

It's a good suggestion, and one I'd like to do, however to be honest my Lua UI skills are next to poor, so I doubt I'd be able to manage it. However, if someone with good Lua UI chops wanted to contribute something of high quality, I'd be more than glad to add it and give credit.

Envoy

Tried it, great mod. But sadly you can't get all the ideology tenets now.. at least for Autocracy you can't.

I now played 2 games with the mod. I was in epic speed and found out the spread is automatic. Once the HQ is founded, I can get the corp produced in my city. But the CS is not automatic but still very fast.

The ad firm, Madison, ideology tenet, etc to raise the spread seems a waste of time... is it only me of everyone get the same ?

3 enhanced Social Policies? Did you release a new version ? In my version your entrepreneurship policy seems not the raise the happiness by 2 overall, just on the city view description of the HQ...

Spread is automatic once you have researched Mass Media. The distance it can spread increases by Era. Globalization allows them to spread across the entire Map.

Ad firms increase the amount Corporation owners get from franchises, and do not affect spread. Madison double the pressure being output from the city. The tenets either increase that pressure or decrease it.

The amount of pressure it takes to create a fan is determined by the game speed, and those values are easily changed. I am looking for feedback like yours to help tweak these values over time, so I appreciate it.

Envoy

I started the game in atomic age, so I did not see the changes... The second game is current...

I checked the policies: I just got entrepreneurship changes (plus the tenets). The happiness did not raised overall... It is a good way to boost COMMERCE a little bit, but it is a second Happiness-oriented policy. Maybe Tourism or culture if you can code it ?

I changed the values for the franchise to 2p per resource from 3 (3 science is fine for the drink), lowered the maintenance to 2 accordingly and raised to 2 from 1 for the shares. You can get the bonuses for the great foreign Satan will get the money...

This is super luxury resource: happiness +money! I lowered the shares to 1 from 5, I don't think we need to get THAT much money. But I still have to see how the AI will rate the shares as a luxury resource (regular+ plus 2x money value!). If it gives me a mere 5 gpt, it will be a pity...

Thanks for the update. Typically with my mods I like to start on the OP side, and then taper down as needed. I will look at the Happiness issue. It's possible that that mechanism uses local happiness as opposed to unmodded happiness, and your city sizes need to get larger to see the effects, but I will check.

Envoy

T It's possible that that mechanism uses local happiness as opposed to unmodded happiness, and your city sizes need to get larger to see the effects, but I will check. Envoy

Good point, l'll look at it.

1) I'm 2 turns from being the owner of 1 corp. 1st game, atomic start/fast game, the AI jumped on your wonders and ignored the regular ones.

2nd game- epic. I downgraded the wonders to 1 share per wonder- The AI preferred regular buildings and national wonders, then jumped to the corp wonders. <Happiness>4</Happiness> should be removed because this resource gives money instead...

2) For the ENTREPRENEURSHIP policy, you should consider balance with the other branchs like exploration and rationalism (see the BNW threads earlier this month, rated as 3.63/10). Since we are not expected to get more than 2 wonders at decent level of difficulties, the +5 happiness was fair (in addition to +25% GM generation). +4 culture (and +4 tourism with hotel/airport) may be a good tradeoff and It will give a culture boost to the branch (all other branchs help to gain culture except rationalism that is for scientific victory).

note: The ad agency should be more expansive than broadcast tower. People expect to get free towers with legalism when they build museums...

3) Religion- I don't think a belief that apply to a post-industrial only concept may be appropriate... it takes eons to apply! it may be fair for latter starts... but religion is disabled by default and should then be coded <NoReligion>false</NoReligion> in civ5eras.xml

The BELIEF_CORP_PRESSURE_SPREAD is too small a reward to spend a belief slot on.... Maybe it should be added to regular religion spreads enhancers:

Itinerant Preachers: Religion spreads to cities 30% further away
Religious Texts: Religion spreads 34% faster (68% with Printing Press)
Religious Unity: Religion spreads to friendly city-states at double rate

Does it work if there it no corp "religion" to spread yet ?

i really love this idea and the mod
just a few suggestions.
as a wonder fanatic, i think the 1250 cost of the Corporation is a little bit too high? since there's pretty much wonders to build at that time and also there's also several corporations to build... compared to the wonders which appear in later techs(1270 cost) and previous techs(900 cost), maybe a balanced cost would be better?

anyway i really enjoy it! just generally speaking, quick after i build those corporations i got a cultural victory(not due to the mod itself of course)... sometimes i cant even see my corps spread to other civs which is a shame LOL. have u considered to let corps appear earlier in the world? just asking~

Anybody with more experience with the mod able to fill out the details? It looks interesting but I'm not convinced yet.

when you build a corporation you can than build special buildings for it. each building you build you get some profit from it even if AI builds them too. you can use shares as trade items to other civs as well they will gain some of your profit from it. pretty much you can make an insane amount of gold with this mod.

I imagine those are the wonders and luxuries? What are the technologies, tenets, and policies?

Hey but Im having a little bit of trouble, I build the wonders and everything but I dont see any increase in my economy. Any advice?

Top Bottom