What do you think of the Kasbah?

The Kasbah is not bad at all on Flood Plains, which isn't affected by Petra anyway.

But, if you're Morocco, you should ALWAYS go for Petra. Period. It's a whole different civ when you have it.

I started a game to mess with Morocco for the first time. I spawned in plains, and after searching the continent, found only a small corner with a few desert tiles. :(

Those tiles will be mine.

I started a game to mess with Morocco for the first time. I spawned in plains, and after searching the continent, found only a small corner with a few desert tiles. :(

Those tiles will be mine.

I had similar problems when playing the demo. I *think* they spawn you near a desert but not in a desert in order to allow your capital to perform well in the first part of the game, since both Kasbahs and Petra are too late for that. So, the idea is to settle your second or third city as the Petra city.

I wasn't able to make good use of Morocco in the demo, so I left them for later now that I have the full game.

About the Kasbah - I was surprised about how late it unlocks. It was much stronger in my mind before realizing that. I guess when it appears it compensates for the Unique Ability not scaling over time and becoming weaker over the course of the game.

Does the Kasbah every improve? Haven't spotted anything amongst the usual suspects like Economics.

Good question. I've just started a game with Morocco, and so far am completely underwhelmed with them. UA is a bit weak, UU is... very situational (I have no horse in my area!). That leaves me the UI... and again, situational. Mines and farms, and trading posts all get upgrades during the game. This does not seem to get anything.

I think it's pretty awesome. I gives +3 resources, in total, which is better than the standard Improvements without Policies, and it gives them from the very start! And on top of that, I've heard that it doubles as a Fort, just like the Feitoria, which potentially gives Moroccans an insane defensive advantage, especially when combined with their UU, the Berber Cavalry.

Please, do not mix Petra, Kasbah and desert forklore.
Desert forklore is imbalance for sure.
Petra is likely to be imba.
Kasbah is... kasbah. +1 gold is really nice, but anyway on free desert it sux - only 1 food.

Blah, without Petra. Pretty much every desert start is blah without Petra, or unless you're Netherlands and it's all flood plains. Hills+rivers+Petra+kasbahs is nice, but that's not really a comment on kasbahs alone.

Regular, flat, non-flood-plain desert tiles suck, and with the kasbah they only suck slightly less.

Kasbah can turn bad tiles into at least workable ones and good tiles into great ones. It's no Terrace Farm but it's solid enough.

Sorry, Simon, but the joke's been done to death.

The Kasbah tile yield doesn't improve with a technology, unlike most improvements in the game (unique or otherwise), which is unfortunate. However, gold is gold.

It's probably underwhelming, although I recently finished a Morocco game and was lucky enough to make good use of it. It's nice to build on floodplains anywhere, as well as on standard desert in a Petra city. On desert hills in Petra city, awesome!

UU? Easily ignorable. UI? Just as easily ignorable. Their UA? A minor bonus early and insignificant later on.

I know, I know! EveeeerrrRRRyyy CaraaaaaAAAaavaaaAAn in the worooOOOoold will flock to your doorstep. Let's face it, by the time the AI has the # of caravans and technologies to increase their distance enough to reach your profitable cities, you would already be sitting on 100-200gpt with any civ.

Morocco is subpar.

Well, bonus gold will certainly be sup-par if you've come to the conclusion that you'll have vast income no matter what civ you're playing.

I'd like to build the kazbah sooner and/or see it improve to either +2 food or +2 gold.

I disagree with people saying that Morocco is subpar. However, it is very desert dependant, much moreso than any other desert start bias civ. The potential strength of this civ really comes down to how much desert you have. Kasbahs are fantastic improvements to have on pretty much any desert tile, and though their bonus doesn't scale, they make pretty much every desert city you found grow steadily, support its own maintenance, and build up infrastructure equally well. Add in a couple of hills and floodplains and it pretty much means you have each city operating as if it had a Petra. Add in Desert Folklore and Petra and it sets you up for pretty much any victory type you care to pursue, its a very versatile civ.

Love'em. Would like to see a small yield increase over time, like the polder. Perhaps +1 science, +1 food or gold after a certain tech.

UU? Easily ignorable. UI? Just as easily ignorable. Their UA? A minor bonus early and insignificant later on.

I know, I know! EveeeerrrRRRyyy CaraaaaaAAAaavaaaAAn in the worooOOOoold will flock to your doorstep. Let's face it, by the time the AI has the # of caravans and technologies to increase their distance enough to reach your profitable cities, you would already be sitting on 100-200gpt with any civ.

Morocco is subpar.

What difficult do AI start utilizing Caravans more often? Just finished a King game and I had 2 incoming caravans the entire game.

I hate that people always go "I love them because if you get them with Petra it's super powerful". Well guess what, Petra is super powerful for anybody. Petra + normal trade post (or mine on hills) is also super powerful!

I think the Kasbah is decidedly underwhelming. They come very late, even later than Trade Post, which means you will actually put off developing those tiles for a while (or otherwise first put trading post and then replace it with Kasbah) which is bad unless you have other and better tiles to work. Kasbah + hills makes for a decent tile, but so does a normal desert mine. I completely agree with steveg7000 that Kasbah should increase to +2 Gold with Economics, that would make them much more viable, and I think they should become available earlier.

As a UI, I think this one comes out a little short, it simply does not offer that much of a benefit. Sadly, the same can be said about the Maroccan UA.

I hate that people always go "I love them because if you get them with Petra it's super powerful". Well guess what, Petra is super powerful for anybody. Petra + normal trade post (or mine on hills) is also super powerful!

I think the Kasbah is decidedly underwhelming. They come very late, even later than Trade Post, which means you will actually put off developing those tiles for a while (or otherwise first put trading post and then replace it with Kasbah) which is bad unless you have other and better tiles to work. Kasbah + hills makes for a decent tile, but so does a normal desert mine. I completely agree with steveg7000 that Kasbah should increase to +2 Gold with Economics, that would make them much more viable, and I think they should become available earlier.

As a UI, I think this one comes out a little short, it simply does not offer that much of a benefit. Sadly, the same can be said about the Maroccan UA.

Exactly, and let's face it, nobody is building Cavalry in the Industrial Era as their main fighting force. You might build 1-2 to deliver the final blow to a city, but that's about it. On the defense you want melee fortified in strategic locations so your ranged can safely use flat terrain to attack without getting killed the next turn.

Exactly, and let's face it, nobody is building Cavalry in the Industrial Era as their main fighting force. You might build 1-2 to deliver the final blow to a city, but that's about it. On the defense you want melee fortified in strategic locations so your ranged can safely use flat terrain to attack without getting killed the next turn.

Cavalry is great unit as it upgrades to Landships. Any sensible person would prefer using artillery + cavalry/tanks to capture cities. Late game cities have INSANE strength, making Great War infantry kind of useless. On defence infantry would have an an edge but Berber cav rules on defence due to their unique promotions. Overall Berber cav comes quite late but they are solid unit for defence. They can even kick the butt of GW infantry on friendly deserts (which you will have plenty as Morocco). And not to mention pillaging can quickly heal fast units, this is an added advantage to cavalry & tanks.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

I recently finished a Morocco game (randomed) without noticing any impact from the UA or UUs. Quite disappointed. :/

Top Bottom