Custer and Indian Wars, an antiheroic genocide?

daft

The fargone
Do you agree that the Indian Wars the US waged against Native American tribes were not only unjustifiable but an example of an attempted genocide?

The joys of finding something for the military industrial complex to do. Where was that oil?

Yeah, I'm surprised that we're even talking about this. This was, like, explicit national policy for more than a hundred years.

Natives have attacked our peaceful colony!

Is it worth bringing civilisation to such savages?

Is there an argument to be made that the Indian expulsions and wars were acts of ethnic cleansing rather than genocide? And how much overlap is there between the terms?

I've read that Custer actually spoke out against campaigns vs. Native Americans while in West Point, so sort of ironic what he ended up being famous for. Soldiers and orders of course

Is there an argument to be made that the Indian expulsions and wars were acts of ethnic cleansing rather than genocide? And how much overlap is there between the terms?
"Ethnic cleansing" really just means localised genocide, and while specific anti-Indian programs may have been localised, the overarching program of expansion to the Pacific assumed the destruction of the American Indian in his entirety. There was never any doubt about that, not even as early as 1776.

If this was an antiheroic genocide, what exactly is a heroic genocide?

Wiping out the orcs from Middle Earth?

(May be a Xenocide, though)

Some fascists/nazis might want to have a word with you, Phrossack.
Good. It's not a bad sign if I'm unpopular with communists, libertarians, capitalists, and fascists. :p

Good. It's not a bad sign if I'm unpopular with communists, libertarians, capitalists, and fascists. :p

:D

Add to this list following groups:
- religious fundamentalists
- borderline conspiracy theorists (illuminati theory is tolerated but if someone believes in reptilian people you know he is seriously weird :lol: )

Also I would replace general term capitalists with objectivists. You know, I am talking about this seriously crazy religion of Ayn Rand.

I guess some people would consider Ozymandias from Watchmen as committing "heroic" genocide. Unfortunately people also forget to look into the future and realize that world peace would not last forever as Ozymandias so claims, and he's just another super crazy person who's out for his own selfish reasons.

:D

Add to this list following groups:
- religious fundamentalists
- borderline conspiracy theorists (illuminati theory is tolerated but if someone believes in reptilian people you know he is seriously weird :lol: )

Also I would replace general term capitalists with objectivists. You know, I am talking about this seriously crazy religion of Ayn Rand.

Honestly, I'd be pleased if I'm opposed by followers of every ideology. They're all failed belief systems in their own little way. I have a good start, being actively disliked by communists, racists, anti-racists, capitalists, feminists, antifeminists, religious fanatics, noisy atheists, libertarians, capitalists, monarchists, democrats, Democrats, Republicans, conspiracy theorists, and others.

You're not opposed by Universalists, let me tell you. Like it or not, we like you.

Honestly, I'd be pleased if I'm opposed by followers of every ideology. They're all failed belief systems in their own little way. I have a good start, being actively disliked by communists, racists, anti-racists, capitalists, feminists, antifeminists, religious fanatics, noisy atheists, libertarians, capitalists, monarchists, democrats, Democrats, Republicans, conspiracy theorists, and others.
Congratulations, you've achieved the same public status as chronic diarrhoea.

Congratulations, you've achieved the same public status as chronic diarrhoea.
Environmentalists don't really care for that, though, you charming, friendly fellow.

Not that I'm exactly an environmentalist.

Top Bottom