CiV takes ages to load all of a sudden

blackcatatonic

Queen of Meme
When I installed CiV on my then brand-new laptop in September, it performed fine - the game itself loaded in about 10 seconds and loading save games never took more than about 20. However, over the last few weeks I've noticed that my loading times have gone way up. It now takes about 30 seconds to load the game, while loading my current Information Era-save game - which is neither a Huge map nor a particularly demanding one, since it's a cultural game and I only have a handful of cities - now takes around one or two minutes.

The game itself runs fine, never crashes, and turn times are as quick as they ever were, but this is annoying and as far as I'm concerned, with a new machine running CiV off a SS drive, shouldn't be happening. My drivers are up to date, and I've deleted all my old save files for good measure, but it hasn't helped.

Has anyone experienced something similar, particularly recently? Could there be a conflict with an anti-virus or another program?

Don't all speak at once! :lol:

I've also cleared the cache and disabled my anti-virus and any unnecessary background programs. Still nothing. Updating the drivers improved load speeds by about 5 seconds, but - having timed it - an Information-Era game still takes 2 and a half minutes to load. I don't think this is acceptable. I'm pretty sure it's just Civ now as none of my other games or programs seem to be running more slowly than before.

Any ideas, anyone? Could this be related to the March patch?

I haven't played the game since January and when I tried last weekend, I too, thought loading times were a little longer than what I remembered. That didn't bother, me however, when playing the game, my computer's fan is VERY loud. Even, when I'm not moving units nor moving around the game map, it never quiets down, until I quit the game.

I haven't played the game since January and when I tried last weekend, I too, thought loading times were a little longer than what I remembered. That didn't bother, me however, when playing the game, my computer's fan is VERY loud. Even, when I'm not moving units nor moving around the game map, it never quiets down, until I quit the game.

Interesting - my fan has a bit of a roar when running CiV as well, although I've put that down to the graphics card heating up.

Good to know I'm not the only person to be experiencing slower loading times. I'm pretty confident this has something to do with the latest patch, although I'm not sure what exactly.

+1 I am reinstalling right now on a different hard drive but it's really annoying. Saving takes a long time and the game crashes every time I try to load a saved game. "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

OK, so this is weird...

As of today, it's working fine. Absolutely fine. The game loads as quickly as it used to.

I have no idea what 'fixed' this - the only thing that happened today was an update for Steam, and it's difficult to see how that could have impacted it - but oh well... no complaints here!

OK, so this is weird...

As of today, it's working fine. Absolutely fine. The game loads as quickly as it used to.

I have no idea what 'fixed' this - the only thing that happened today was an update for Steam, and it's difficult to see how that could have impacted it - but oh well... no complaints here!

That means it was steam doing it. Interesting. Maybe thats my issue too only it's still messed up after todays steam update.

Top Bottom