Should Shoshone build another pathfinder?

MantaRevan

Emperor
Assuming Pangea, what is the best option here? The Shoshone start with a pathfinder for free, is it worth opening with another one, or just opening with a monument?

On a larger map, I'd say definitely 2 pathfinders. It should only take about 2 or 3 more turns than if you you started with a warrior and added a scout. Ancient ruins should more than make up for that.

One scout pulling light scouting duties and defense against barbs sounds like a plan. With that much land, I'm sure research and development of luxury resources tiles takes priority over developing the soldier. If Shoshone were to build tall, the scout helps with city placement (think a radii of five tiles instead of the usual three!) and defense.

Go tall, get Great Wall, and the scout warrior sniper with a friendly land bonus can have fun sniping invaders.

Dependent on map size and type.
On normal pangaea or large continents I would go with building 2 additional, maybe even 3.
They should spring enough ruins to grab culture get a free monument via tradition.

Absolutely.

You'll pick up at least a couple more ruins, which will more than make up for it. Plus, you can use it in battle as a warrior with no movement cost, so it's not useless aside from scouting

I've gotten around four pathfinders in my games and managed to use ruins to turn them all into CB's.

Not sure if there is something wrong with the AI in regard to ruins, but it seems easy to get a lot.

In my Shoshone game I had 4 as well. I made 3 into CBs and kept one as a regular scout till the end game. You definitely should build at least another one, but even that is too little in my opinion, unless you are on a small continent/island. On a Pangea, I'd definitely have more than 2.

Not sure if there is something wrong with the AI in regard to ruins, but it seems easy to get a lot.

I've been having the same feeling. In BNW I seem to be getting more ruins than I deserve.

Meh. I think it's often better to get started on a worker after making your first one. And often, there are hardly any ruins left to find if you wait any longer.

Meh. I think it's often better to get started on a worker after making your first one. And often, there are hardly any ruins left to find if you wait any longer.
U BUILD UR OWN WORKERS??? WOTTA NUB!

Sorry, hehe. Just wanted to beat someone else to it .;)

Seriously though, the rewards of finding more ruins are generally going to be pretty well worth it.

I usually start with 3 and I use the 3rd one as warrior. They can attack and have decent strength so if there's an encampment near your city, you can get at least one promotion very fast. Furthermore, if you are lucky and you can start your expansion with 3 composite bowmen, you can easily wipe out one opponent without breaking a sweat.

U BUILD UR OWN WORKERS??? WOTTA NUB!

Sorry, hehe. Just wanted to beat someone else to it .;)

Seriously though, the rewards of finding more ruins are generally going to be pretty well worth it.

Do you ALWAYS steal them? Even if you are playing peacefully? Unless I am going for domination I tend to build them, unless I can get them off a barb.

What am I missing?

Regarding pathfinders, where are ppl finding all these ruins? I can't find enough to upgrade 3 pathfinders, unless I don't bother taking the other bonuses as much. Most I find is 3 ruins. (Staandard map, continents plus)

Stealing workers from CS's is a fairly minor penalty, but reaps a considerable early reward.

Do you ALWAYS steal them? Even if you are playing peacefully? Unless I am going for domination I tend to build them, unless I can get them off a barb.

What am I missing?
I usually build them as well. I'd rather have the CS as a friend I guess. Can't seem to help myself.

I don't really blame folks who steal'em too much. Workers and workboats need to be a little cheaper than they currently are.

Build two more Pathfinders. Each of them can get at least +20 :c5culture: which makes up for the delayed Monument. The ability to choose your ancient ruins rewards is a tremendous benefit in the early game.

AT LEAST one more, maybe two. Explore entire continent, grab as many ruins as possible, roll in all your gold, tech, culture and faith.

Also never underestimate the value of having several composite bowmen ridiculously early in the game, especially with raging barbarians enabled ;)

What am I missing?

Regarding pathfinders, where are ppl finding all these ruins? I can't find enough to upgrade 3 pathfinders, unless I don't bother taking the other bonuses as much. Most I find is 3 ruins. (Staandard map, continents plus)

I always steal, frankly I'd rather steal from the closest AI even if I'm playing a peaceful game. If you can get 2 workers from the AI, it will sue for peace and won't be in a position to come kill you on t60 which allows you to peacemonger for a bit. If I can't get 2 from the AI I'll get one from a CS.

I made 3 additional scouts in my Shoshone game and really botched it though. For some reason I thought I could upgrade them to CB without a ruin...derp.

I did finally get to make good use of them for sight lines on enemy cities for seige assaults.

If your going to make more don't underestimate the importance of the upgrade to CB.

It seems to have been worth my time to have built the extra pathfinder, since between the two of them, I picked up 3 techs, 40 :c5culture:, 2 super composite bowmen, and an extra population point. This is a little nuts, especially on emperor. I guess the AI isn't very good at exploration.

Top Bottom