Hiawatha's settling truly idiotic now since BNW?

Ravellion

Prince
Just look at these pics. He settles everywhere, and he settles three cities where two or even one would easily do. Congratulations, you've annoyed everyone and hurt your science and happiness enormously. He also had no resource shortage to even consider doing what he did; ie. he had no need of that Ice city with one oil (not Tundra; Ice...)

France also does this, which is idiotic considering their UA has changed.

Spoiler :

I haven't run into Hiawatha yet, but if the end result is that hes lagging behind in science and hated by everyone, its a good thing.

I'd much rather have that instead of him being the science leader every single time, just because he builds a lot of cities.

I had that same thing in G&K with just about any civ at deity. If there is a free spot with a resource then eventually they will claim it no matter how silly it is.

I had this problem with Hiawatha every single time in G&K, even on Emperor. The only difference is that now, with the changes to happiness and science, it doesn't pay off quite as well for him.

And thank God for that, because otherwise it just allowed him to trash everything in his path and grab 20%+ tech leads.

Just look at these pics. He settles everywhere, and he settles three cities where two or even one would easily do. Congratulations, you've annoyed everyone and hurt your science and happiness enormously. He also had no resource shortage to even consider doing what he did; ie. he had no need of that Ice city with one oil (not Tundra; Ice...)

France also does this, which is idiotic considering their UA has changed.

Spoiler :

From what I've seen, there's no longer a detectable difference in civs' expansion tendencies (except Venice, for mechanical reasons) - they all try and settle everywhere they can.

Are you using a mod or something? Some of those cities are 3 tiles away from each other. That shouldn't be possible.

If so, the mod might be part of the problem.

In G&K, Hiawatha expanded like this and still had tremendous science output and led in techs very often.

Now, in BNW, Hiawatha still expands like this, at least in the 3 games of BNW I saw him in, but now, each of those games, he was almost dead last in science.

Odd.

Are you using a mod or something? Some of those cities are 3 tiles away from each other. That shouldn't be possible.

If so, the mod might be part of the problem.

If a city is on a different island, they can be as close as they want. You're perfectly allowed to settle a city on a one-tile island that's only separated from your coastal capital by one tile of coast. It's odd, but you're allowed to do it.

In any case, it certainly is odd that the AI will claim every bit of land when it is in one's best interest to settle prime city locations that provide lots of output, and not expend happiness and maintenance costs on a weak city with no resources of any kind available. Not unless there's a very good strategic reason for it. That first picture indicates he might be setting those two up as bases to launch an attack on Rome.

If a city is on a different island, they can be as close as they want. You're perfectly allowed to settle a city on a one-tile island that's only separated from your coastal capital by one tile of coast. It's odd, but you're allowed to do it.

Not since I last played; which, unfortunately, was before BNW and the summer patch. Regardless of landmass, cities could not be built within three tiles of any other city.

Not sure about Hiawatha but, on Immortal with all the new civs, everyone is expanding to all sorts of crappy city spots in the post-industrial era. It's honestly bordering on the ridiculous the number of cities they have and where they have them. Some of them make sense, like a snow-bound city with 7 oil and 8 aluminium, but others - like a one tile island of snow mostly surrounded by ice with no resources nor strategic/trade value is just nuts or settling two cities on an island really only big enough for one and so on - are just nuts.

Not since I last played; which, unfortunately, was before BNW and the summer patch. Regardless of landmass, cities could not be built within three tiles of any other city.

last time I played I could put cities within fewer titles if it's a different land mass. I haven't tried since the last expansion though because bursting in 136 cities with Arabia or Carthage doesn't have the same effect that it used to with new science and happiness.

I've put more cities then I can count very few tiles away from a city. thanks to 1x1 islands.

cities are different land masses have their min distance reduced by 1, so we've always been able to put cities just 1 tile apart under those circumstances. i do it all the time.

Top Bottom