2014 NFL Regular Season

And the Seahawks present yet more proof that the only thing the prevent defense does is
prevent the team using it from winning (in regulation, at least).

Damn...great comeback but wasn't enough. Great job from the defense, kept the team in the game. The offense needs more work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panthers making the Steelers' D look like the old Steel Curtain.

So....do you throw passes to your quarterback?

Russel Wilson takes a pretty good hit after catching a floater pass that took long enough to reach him that the safety covered half the field. Andy Dalton, if the Titans' safety hadn't made the bad decision to go for the pick and then flubbed that...the right decision was to just saw Andy Dalton in half before he came down with the ball. Both of those teams are obvious projections to go deep into the playoffs, and both are pretty reliant on their upper tier quarterbacks.

I think those plays were just stupid, even though they both worked.

You throw one pass to the QB per season just to let everyone know you can throw a pass to the QB and get big yards.

And the Seahawks present yet more proof that the only thing the prevent defense does is
prevent the team using it from winning (in regulation, at least).

Or that wheel routes are that good at finding an opening against zone coverage.

Yeah, I thought the were pretty dumb plays tbh. Those DBs must have been licking their jobs when they saw a QB line up like that. I don't know if it's fitting or not that Cleveland's was called back on a penalty and was apparently illegal anyway by some former referees' interpretations of the rules because of where Manziel lined up.

Also, there's something that I do not understand. Every year I've had to hear about the 49ers being super-talented, how they have a billion draft picks every year, how they can take project players like Marcus Lattimore and stash them on IR, they don't have huge needs etc. Did they really not draft for depth at ALL, then? I know it's hard to replace Bowman and Aldon Smith(and I guess Dorsey but they went to 2 NFC title games without him so yeah) and their offense has had intermittent injuries but...really? All those draft picks to find or trade for good second-string players and they couldn't do it? Instead we have to listen to Anquan Boldin complain about penalties costing them the game(spoilers: there's an easy way to not get flagged for headbutting someone). Injuries/suspensions should not be an excuse; they just lost to a team that would have its own good case for injuries being a problem.

Yeah, I thought the were pretty dumb plays tbh. Those DBs must have been licking their jobs when they saw a QB line up like that. I don't know if it's fitting or not that Cleveland's was called back on a penalty and was apparently illegal anyway by some former referees' interpretations of the rules because of where Manziel lined up.

Also, there's something that I do not understand. Every year I've had to hear about the 49ers being super-talented, how they have a billion draft picks every year, how they can take project players like Marcus Lattimore and stash them on IR, they don't have huge needs etc. Did they really not draft for depth at ALL, then? I know it's hard to replace Bowman and Aldon Smith(and I guess Dorsey but they went to 2 NFC title games without him so yeah) and their offense has had intermittent injuries but...really? All those draft picks to find or trade for good second-string players and they couldn't do it? Instead we have to listen to Anquan Boldin complain about penalties costing them the game(spoilers: there's an easy way to not get flagged for headbutting someone). Injuries/suspensions should not be an excuse; they just lost to a team that would have its own good case for injuries being a problem.

Yeah, it's hard to feel a lot of sympathy for a team that just lost to a back up quarterback. I'm wondering if the supposed rift between Harbaugh and the GM is not only a real thing but a real disabling thing.

I left out commenting on the Cleveland play, since that was just the back up QB anyway and it was an outright bush league play. I didn't see anything illegal about it...but I'd be embarrassed to run it.

Mrt144...that's a good point about making defenses respect the possibility...but have you seen the replay of the Andy Dalton catch? That safety could have made a mostly clean play and just blown their franchise QB off the field indefinitely. I guess he'd have run into the 'defenseless receiver' bit since Dalton was totally hung out to dry by the pass, but he could have put on a lick that QBs really never have to take under the current rules.

I wonder how Steve Smith will be received/handle next week with us. Smitty is the face of the team, no other player is as iconic. There isn't a Panthers fan who doesn't love him. Anyways I see the Ravens winning

So....do you throw passes to your quarterback?

Russel Wilson takes a pretty good hit after catching a floater pass that took long enough to reach him that the safety covered half the field. Andy Dalton, if the Titans' safety hadn't made the bad decision to go for the pick and then flubbed that...the right decision was to just saw Andy Dalton in half before he came down with the ball. Both of those teams are obvious projections to go deep into the playoffs, and both are pretty reliant on their upper tier quarterbacks.

I think those plays were just stupid, even though they both worked.

I agree, those plays are incredibly stupid. You're just asking for it when running those plays.

Yet another piece of hilarity from the football media...I know these guys get a lot of money to comment on everything, so they are gonna say stupid stuff...but...

ESPN talking about the Cowboys...they did great stuff, this pick six not only sealed the deal but it gave them that confidence, they were expected to be a non-factor but they are really stepping it up, blah blah blah...

They gave up 24 points to the StLouis Rams who are starting their third string QB. I expect the Dallas defense is going to get pasted, routinely. The four games they have against the teams that ran in the Philly v Washington track meet this weekend are going to be particularly good.

They gave up 24 points to the StLouis Rams who are starting their third string QB.

To be fair, Austin Davis is actually pretty good (for a third stringer anyway).

I wonder if the Rams shouldn't just start him the rest of the season. They're not going to make the playoffs anyway, so why should you play a 34-year old Shaun Hill who isn't going to be a big part of the Rams future anyway, when you could play 25-year old Austin Davis for a whole season to see what you have in him for the future?

I left out commenting on the Cleveland play, since that was just the back up QB anyway and it was an outright bush league play. I didn't see anything illegal about it...but I'd be embarrassed to run it.

This article has the explanation by the league office and some ex-officials. Namely:

The league office, though, referred to page 64 of the rule book, which states unsportsmanlike conduct is "Using entering substitutes, legally returning players, substitutes on sidelines, or withdrawn players to confuse opponents, including lingering by players leaving the field after being replaced by a substitute and an offensive player lining up or going in motion less than five yards from the sideline in front of his team's designated bench area. However, an offensive player is permitted to line up less than five yards from the sidelines on the same side as his team's player bench, provided he is not in front of the designated bench area."

The designated bench area is between the 32-yard-lines, and the Browns ran the play from their 38.

I knew there were rules against intentionally confusing the hell out of the other team(or else everyone would do it) but I didn't know the specifics of it before now.

You throw one pass to the QB per season just to let everyone know you can throw a pass to the QB and get big yards.

Yeah... 2-0 and with a nice lead to go 3-0. Get your QB killed and play with a backup the rest of the season. Huge risk they took IMO. I was completely shocked at the defensive back's decision. Would have been nice to see J.Tatum or R.Lott making that play.

Do you think the Bengals go anywhere without Dalton? Who is R.Wilson's backup- Jackson? Pryor?

I knew there were rules against intentionally confusing the hell out of the other team(or else everyone would do it) but I didn't know the specifics of it before now.

Cool. Thanks for the link. I never knew there was a specific rule like that. I was just looking at it from where he was on the field...sort of a flanked out guy a bit far back off the line of scrimmage...but clearly from that the entire concept was illegal.

@Darkness...no disrespect intended towards Austin Davis, and I agree that if I were making decisions for the Rams I'd play him the rest of the season. But with Dallas facing Nick Foles twice, Jay Cutler, Kirk Cousins twice, Andrew Luck, Russel Wilson, and Drew Brees this week I see serious blowouts in their future unless their offense just runs wild.

Yeah... 2-0 and with a nice lead to go 3-0. Get your QB killed and play with a backup the rest of the season. Huge risk they took IMO. I was completely shocked at the defensive back's decision. Would have been nice to see J.Tatum or R.Lott making that play.

Do you think the Bengals go anywhere without Dalton? Who is R.Wilson's backup- Jackson? Pryor?

Better bench your QB; stepping on that field is dangerous.

You can't play to avoid getting hurt. Injuries happen. Obviously you don't have the QB fight for yardage; you have him slide. But there's not a whole lotta difference between getting pasted in the pocket, and getting pasted outside the numbers.

Haha, comparing regular QB play and a swing pass to your QB with no blocking is quite funny to me. Getting pasted in the pocket is a requirement of the job... not catching passes with no blockers.

They didn't really need yards, points or anything else at that point.

A swing pass with no blocking thrown by a guy who is not a quarterback. Let me loop this rainbow up there and see just how much ground the safety can cover before it comes down to you...hey, surprise, when you jumped to get it he could have just run right through you and snapped you in half!

Top Bottom