What does "Unsettled" mean?

Posidonius

Civherder
The kind who tries to figure things out before bothering other folks, but at wit's end by now and nothing makes sense. I smash an enemy civ, and they do not respawn as a new civ, even though they should.

Here's the situation. For several months, have been practicing "trap" games to get the technique down. A trap is when you kill off a rival, then they respawn as a lone Settler, then you checkmate that Settler onto a barren square. As long as you keep a unit next to the Settler, it will never found a city. Therefore, you can eliminate all the other civs from the game and it will not end. Thus, you can develop every single arable square on the planet for your own cities. Have a handful of games where i achieved this, but it's not working this time. Spent 3 weeks trying to figure out why, and just can't understand it.

Here's the relevant passage from scripture, from the FAQ here, attributed to "Rome On 640K A Day":

Before 0 AD the "twin cousin" of a vanquished civilization
will appear anywhere not in immediate proximity to an existing city. After
0 AD these civilizations will only reappear on unsettled continents, and
after 1750 no new civilizations will appear at all.

In my current game there are Mongols. It is between 0 AD and 1750 AD. There is a large island where there are no cities and no units, in fact the last uninhabited land on the globe. I kill the Mongols off, but their "twin cousin" civ does not reappear. Why not? Have done a dozen tests, restarting at various points and playing until i kill the Mongols. No luck.

Extra vexing, because i have a very enticing scenario for what i want to do. My startsquare is on the largest continent, which was cleared of all rivals by 3000 BC. Vast landscape, all mine, expanded into it quickly. The enticing part is that there are two smaller continents. One has the Aztecs and the other has FOUR civs all keeping each other at bay. I thought it was weird when, by 500 AD, the game had never told me about another civ getting killed, nor anyone building a Wonder. Always play a 7-civ game, and they usually start building Wonders about 1800 BC. This is the first time i had heard nothing, nor seen any rival ships off my coast, so late into the game.

It turns out that the Crowded Continent was keeping everyone else busy and i went totally ignored, free to urbanize my own continent. Heavily. Got up to 100 cities and settled on every other piece of land, except one large island. Completed the trade network, built all the Wonders, and was into Future Techs before i started to destroy the 4 remaining civs.

And i had set aside that one large island as a comfy home for "twin cousins" to respawn onto. I called it Trap Island. It has 12 appealing grasslands on the southern half, but vicious tundra on the northern third. The Plan was to kill off the remaining civs one-by-one, then herd the respawned "twin cousin" Settlers up into the snowy wastes (one by one) and eventually have not one, but FOUR fledgling civs frozen in ice. In theory, one can manipulate the turn order, while using garrisons and ships, and end up packing four opposing Settlers into four contiguous squares of tundra. It's like one of those sliding-tile puzzles. And if it's a peninsula, then you can guard four whole civilizations with a single Phalanx unit.

Then, of course, the plan was to take a screenshot of four Settlers in different colors all jammed together and post it here, with the tag "Betcha can't guess how i did that?" But there's something wrong, i can't get any civ to respawn.

First thought, was that the Mongols might already be a respawned "twin cousin" civ. So looked back through the log i keep for every game, to see when i first met a rival civ face to face. That was in 3640 BC. So i checked that file out of the savegame library, fired it up, and met Alexander all over again. But this time, at the end of our tense but outwardly friendly chat (can never trust Alex), i suggested that if he attacks someone else, i'd defray his expenses. The list pops up, and Mongols are on it.

To verify, i dug up the 4000 BC savegame and played it through to 3640 BC, watching like a hawk to see if the game gave me a pop-up about any civs being killed off, which it always does even if it's someone i never met. No civs died, then i met Alex and he said the same thing: the Mongols are alive. So i know that they are not a resurrected twin cousin... Mongolia is an original 4000 BC civ in this game. They should be able to respawn as a twin before 1750 AD.

Second thought was that maybe there's a problem with Mongolia. Maybe, through some unknown quirk, they are unable to respawn. So i rolled my Cannons on over to the nearest pigeon, Babylon. Wiped them out, and again no respawn.

Third idea was that maybe Trap Island was not an unsettled "continent", meaning that it was too small to qualify. But no, i've seen respawns on smaller islands than that. It is before 1750 AD, and i left a very inviting island open and waiting. Why won't anyone spawn there?

So i guess the central question is, what does "Rome On 640K A Day" mean by 'unsettled'?

Trap Island is definitely unsettled. I ran a Trireme around the place in the 900s AD, landed a couple units to un-black the interior squares, seized a village for fifty bucks, and left by 1000 AD. And i never went back. In the 1500s when i'm whacking rivals, the place has been fallow and untouched for 500 years. But the game must still consider the place "settled". That's the only reason i can think of, why the AI would refuse to respawn a twin cousin there.

When you win a game, the replay shows not only colored areas around cities, but also where a civ's units have explored. Sometimes when a civ's only city on a landmass is wiped out, they still have a few colored squares of "influence" on that land. Is that the effect i'm seeing? Does the fact that i once walked on Trap Island 500 years ago make the landmass spoiled for a new civ to respawn there? Does "unsettled" mean no cities, or no units, or no occupation of any kind ever?

Have seen in replays, that ignored lands can revert from colored back to neutral gray. Does anyone know how long that takes? Or do i have to wait for Barbies to walk around on it before it reverts back to "unsettled"?

Or, am i barking up the wrong tree? Is there any other reason why an original 4000 BC rival would not spawn a cousin civ when they die? It's before 1750, and there's nice land available.

It could be that the game counts your Trap island towards one of the larger settled continents, I remember reading here about the game assigning smaller landmasses to larger continents when it generates the world. That's why sometimes Bach's cathedral, the Hoover dam or Women's suffrage will affect smaller islands around the landmass that holds them, even if they theoretically shouldn't. That's the only viable reason I can think of. I'm pretty sure that just moving about on a landmass will not mark it as settled.

Another reason might be that "Rome..." is not completely right about the mechanics, but this I cannot really prove or disprove.

It could be that the game counts your Trap island towards one of the larger settled continents, I remember reading here about the game assigning smaller landmasses to larger continents when it generates the world. That's why sometimes Bach's cathedral, the Hoover dam or Women's suffrage will affect smaller islands around the landmass that holds them, even if they theoretically shouldn't. That's the only viable reason I can think of. I'm pretty sure that just moving about on a landmass will not mark it as settled.

OK, thank you very much. I'm really frustrated by now. Trap Island is not small, 34 squares of land, but it is 4-5 ocean squares away from a larger landmass which the English arose on after i killed the Greeks (they are the Green Twins in my version, YMMV).

I still believe that "unsettled" means no cities, and think i recall once where a respawn happened while i had units on an unsettled landmass. Never heard of continental Wonders seeping onto adjacent islands, but at least you've given me a lead which i can test.

Maybe it's the presence of Queen Bess which is keeping the Mongols from respawning as India. I try can nipping the English early and wipe out their cities, and THEN smash Genghis.

If it works, then my dream of pinning down multiple larval civs is still alive.

... I remember reading here about the game assigning smaller landmasses to larger continents when it generates the world. That's why sometimes Bach's cathedral, the Hoover dam or Women's suffrage will affect smaller islands around the landmass that holds them, even if they theoretically shouldn't.

I doubt the above could ever occur.
When the world is formed the total squares of each island and sea are summed. Then sorted from largest to smallest. Then they are numbered as being island or sea 1 through 15. Any islands or seas that rank 16th smallest or less are numbered 15. The Arctic and Antarctic are numbered as part of island 1.

... Never heard of continental Wonders seeping onto adjacent islands, but at least you've given me a lead which i can test. ...

NOTE Revision Apr 30: My comments here are for CIV/Dos only. I see that the attachment in post #6 that this discussion is about CIV/WIN

I doubt the above could ever occur.
When the world is formed the total squares of each island and sea are summed. Then sorted from largest to smallest. Then they are numbered as being island or sea 1 through 15. Any islands or seas that rank 16th smallest or less are numbered 15. The Arctic and Antarctic are numbered as part of island 1.

The thing is this has occurred to me on a number of occasions. One that I distinctly remember was when to my surprise I found out I didn't need to build power plants on some nearby islands, because I had the dam on the mainland. I would provide a save if I had one, but the conditions are kind of rare, and I do mostly play OCC these days. The thing is that if Posidonius has settled everything but Trap island, and if that island is the 16th smallest or even smaller, chances are he's got some cities on the other small islands with ID15. That may be a possible cause, but needs confirmation. Remove all your island cities, and try and see if the Indians appear then.

The thing is that if Posidonius has settled everything but Trap island, and if that island is the 16th smallest or even smaller, chances are he's got some cities on the other small islands with ID15. That may be a possible cause, but needs confirmation. Remove all your island cities, and try and see if the Indians appear then.

Trap Island is, sadly, the 5th-largest landmass on the globe, at 34 squares. I left a really verdant patch as a nice tarpit to lure in some strangers. If i can figure out how to use it as a trap, i'd later put 4 cities on it myself.

Attached is a map from my first run-through up to 1906 AD, so you can see what i see. At this point had 100 cities and just whacked Samarkand. It is the yellow dot at the south-western-most end of the continent to the east side of the World Map, the Crowded Continent, which i had recently made much less crowded. I know the colors are all different for your games, but the pink splotch is New York (which i have hemmed in), have Artillery units arrayed to wipe out Babylon, and the Diplomat on the right edge of the game board is on the way to subvert the other Baby city in 1907. Aztecs have a city on the Crowded Continent, which i left in place to perpetuate hegemony, but it's a pushover and would also be mine in 1907.

Trap Island is in the center of the World Map, to the North. The units you see on it are intended to be "herders" to force a respawned Settler from the lush southern part, up and onto the harsh Arctic wastes in the NE corner. Also tested it with no units on it at all, and the place has never had a city of any kind.

And if you count them up, there are only 13 lands. My start continent is the biggest, peppered with 50 cities, and on down to the Isle of Wight (visible on the game board just above the World Map), which is 5 squares. Add North Pole and South Pole, and that's 15 land masses. Shouldn't be any IDname collisions as Dack posited. But then again, the Indians should respawn when i take Samarkand before 1750.

The small continent to the SE of Trap Island is where the English respawned after i smacked Alexander. By 1906 i had 10 cities on there. But in the testing i've done since then, i have a savegame i can check out of the library, where i can wipe out the English and then take Samarkand, to test Mize's idea that Trap Island might be somehow interfered-with by English cities.

If that doesn't work, i'm mulling a couple other things. Is it possible that Trap Island is not considered a "continent" for respawning purposes? It's large, and i swear i've seen a respawn on a land smaller than 34 squares in another game.

Or maybe there's some hidden "civ placement suitability quotient" in the game, where Trap Island's 10 Arctic/Tundra squares disqualify it from hosting a new civ?

In 4000 BC when the world was new, the AI chose to place me, Greece and Germany on my continent. The Aztecs have their own small continent, and the Crowded Continent started with America, Babylon and Mongolia. I killed Germany and France at home, killed the Greeks and they respawned as England on the 4th-largest landmass.

Maybe the game had some reason to make the Crowded Continent crowded, and some reason to make Trap Island + the future England uninhabited?

So the coming test of Mize's thought will give me solid learning, even if it doesn't work. If i CAN get India to respawn where England did, then i can restart that turn several times and see if respawn locations are always the same. Maybe both England and Trap Island have to be empty and there's some probability that either of them could host a respawn. If so, can tinker with the other variables: having units on the land or none, effects on respawning before/after the dates 1000, 1500, and 1750... and find out if it's really possible to checkmate multiple rival civs as larvae.

But first, i have to get someone, anyone, to respawn. So far, i have not been able to do that. Should work, don't know why not. I mean, look at Trap Island in this map. The southern 60% of it is a really nice place. Who wouldn't want to respawn there?

Attachments

• Bunsen_1906AD.jpg
    Bunsen_1906AD.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 127
Please disregard my previous post as it was specifically for CIV/dos not for CIV/win. Thanks

I was talking about Civ DOS, but the hypothesis appears to be busted anyway.

Please disregard my previous post as it was specifically for CIV/dos not for CIV/win. Thanks

The game engines are 99.9% identical. Colors are different, CivWIN has a deeper list of citynames to offer you later in the game, graphics are tidier, and some screens are laid out differently. I can save in 4000 BC, but that's one of a diminishingly few differences in the game engine. The main selling point of CivWIN these days, is the ability to stretch out the gameboard window, as PC display monitors have gone up in size dramatically since the 1990s.

Up until this point, i have never had a problem with CivWIN obeying the respawn rules in the manual and the FAQ, which were written for CivDOS.

Is it possible that the 5th-largest landmass is not considered a "continent"?

Eureka, after 4 weeks of trying. India respawns on Trap Island immediately when Mongols die, and now i can control where India respawns. There are only a few places where a respawn will happen during the 2nd phase of respawn behavior. First phase is "anywhere nice", second phase is "unsettled landmass" and the third phase is "no respawns."

There is apparently a "Civ Suitability Factor" assigned to each landmass, and respawns are attracted to the landmass with the best CSF. The algorithm which calculates the CSF appears to consider the number of each type of terrain on a landmass, assigning certain values to grasslands, hills, tundras, et cetera, and arrives at a CSF which does not always favor the landmass with the greatest size. No really, i playtested the hell out of this, truly fifty tests or more, using different islands as either settled or unsettled at the moment when Samarkand gets whacked.

The first lesson is that the AI don't give a pustule about whether you have military units on the landmass where it's bound to respawn. This makes the hobby of civtrapper much easier.

During the 2nd phase of respawn behavior, a wrapper around this algorithm is activated, dropping the CSF of a landmass to 0 if there exists a player/AI city on it. And there has to be some cutoff based on the combination of terrain types, a CSF below which the AI will not place a respawn... thus, this is the definition, in CIV1, of a "continent". Should be able to playtest that out, but it'd take a year so screw that.

In my scenario, the 5th-largest landmass was considered for a respawn only after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th-largest landmasses were urbanized. The 6th has had an Aztec city for quite a while. But for some reason the 2nd phase of respawning behavior ends at 1000 AD, not 1750 AD. Maybe because playing at Prince level?

In any case, thanks for all the suggestions and insight. Now that i know the cutoff date for respawns is 1000 AD in my game, can restart early enough to make that goal. Look out Genghis, here i come!

Top Bottom