World congress resolution duration

jonpfl

Prince
All,

When a trade embargo or luxury ban is approved, how long does it stay in effect? I assume until the next world congress meeting.

Thx
jonpfl

I believe its in effect for the rest of the game until someone repeals it. If no one does, it has no expiration.

Yeah, it's until someone repeals it (for embargoes, luxury bans, army tax, scholars in residence, world ideologies and religions etc) or until the project is completed (Fair, Games and ISS).

Yeah, it's until someone repeals it (for embargoes, luxury bans, army tax, scholars in residence, world ideologies and religions etc) or until the project is completed (Fair, Games and ISS).

Another world congress question, is the first person to host it always going to be the host?

I am hurting for happiness and there is another luxury ban coming up and I would like to squash it! I know I can use delegates but that seems hard to do since I only have 90 turns until the next meeting and there are like 8 civs.

Thx
jonpfl

Another world congress question, is the first person to host it always going to be the host?

No, whenever the Congress advances to the next era there's a vote for the new host. The Congress era advances to an era when half of the players have reached the era or one has reached the era after that. So when one player advances to modern era or half of the players advance to industrial era, the Congress is industrial and a new host is voted.

I am hurting for happiness and there is another luxury ban coming up and I would like to squash it! I know I can use delegates but that seems hard to do since I only have 90 turns until the next meeting and there are like 8 civs.

Thx
jonpfl

If you have money and/or resources to trade, it's pretty easy. Every 15 turns or so, I'm able to get my diplomats schmoozing in different capitals so that I can bribe/buy/trade for votes on resolutions. Each diplomat can typically make his/her way through four civilizations prior to the vote; you just have to keep an eye on when they're done with the "making introductions" phase of their actions so that you can move them to another civ ASAP.

Plus, if you can secure enough city-state delegates, it becomes very easy to flat-out dominate every single vote.

No, whenever the Congress advances to the next era there's a vote for the new host. The Congress era advances to an era when half of the players have reached the era or one has reached the era after that. So when one player advances to modern era or half of the players advance to industrial era, the Congress is industrial and a new host is voted.

Oh ok, thanks for the quick response.

The last WC I had, there were two things up for vote but I could only vote on one of them. Is this because I only had 1 delegate and I had to pick one?

Thx
jonpfl

If you have money and/or resources to trade, it's pretty easy. Every 15 turns or so, I'm able to get my diplomats schmoozing in different capitals so that I can bribe/buy/trade for votes on resolutions. Each diplomat can typically make his/her way through four civilizations prior to the vote; you just have to keep an eye on when they're done with the "making introductions" phase of their actions so that you can move them to another civ ASAP.

Plus, if you can secure enough city-state delegates, it becomes very easy to flat-out dominate every single vote.

How do you secure city-state delegates?

Thx
jonpfl

How do you secure city-state delegates?

Starting at industrial era, each City-State ally you have grants a number of extra delegates to you. So having allies yields delegates.

I was playing a game last night and the world congress convened. The first thing they did was ban copper as immoral :( I had a ton of copper :( :(

Sweden is the host, and later on I ended up voting for him as host again (era change) as I didn't want Liz to get it (she hates me). After the election, Sweden thanked me for voting for him and said he would make it worth my while. And I've also got a DOF with him and a diplomat in his capital. Hopefully they will lift the ban on copper.

My happiness dropped from +20 to -5 as soon as the ban passed. I had to rush buy a lot of happiness buildings and I'm back up to +10 happiness.

How do you lose 25 happiness because of a single luxury ban?

How do you lose 25 happiness because of a single luxury ban?

Thats what i want to know. Its impossible to lose 25 happy on a single lux since any copies of any lux do not provide any more happy after the first. 6 coppers provide the same number of happy as 1 copper. My guess is happiness change from ideological pressure changed that turn too (went down) since a lot of people still don't notice it yet.

^^I'm not sure either. But I was trading a lot of it with other civs. Maybe something else caused more unhappiness, but I'm not sure. As soon as the ban went into effect, my happiness plummeted by that much.

maybe since he had so much copper and was trading it for other luxuries, now that copper is forbidden, he lost the happiness from the imported luxuries he was getting for the copper?

Thanks for the info. I did not know that you could move around the diplomats and the AI would still be forced to vote according to the negotiations. My diplo game could be much easier. so when do you do this? After the proposals are submitted I guess.

Even if you can't become host yourself you can vote for a friendlier host or someone who is affected by the banned Lux. Not only will you get a large diplomatic bonus, they can propose for its repeal. But that's purely up to the Ai. You can't suggest what they can propose.

Your delegates could often be enough to move hosts

Top Bottom