Civilization II - Release differences

CivFan80

Chieftain
I was thinking about posting this thread into "General Discussion", too, but I think that after completion, if we ever get that far, this thread will serve newcomers finding best release of Civilization II to buy for their needs when considering technical aspects, too.

So, the purpose of this thread is to list major differences between Civilization II releases. There are so many of them, packed with different set of expansions, and different versions of the game. Specially 64-bit OS-users also need to be extra careful, because vanilla-version doesn't work out-of-the-box on their machines, and Multiplayer Gold / Test of Time versions are not compatible with Windows 3.1. (If anyone is still interested for looking a version suitable for their retro-PC use.)

I'll start, and if you wish, you can post more information or corrections on different releases. If I remember to check this thread often, I can compile the differences to this first post later.

This thread is only about Mac / PC -versions. PlayStation-users should have no problems finding the correct version for their hardware ;).

Mac

MacPlay, 1997 (?)

Includes:
- ?

GT Interactive: Replay: Civilization II (?)

Includes:
- ?

PC

MicroProse Software, 1996 (Big Box)

Includes:
- Vanilla version

Microprose: Sid Meier's Civilization II - The Collectors Edition (Big Box)

Includes:
- Vanilla version
- Conflicts in Civilization
and
- Strategy Guide (book)

Hasbro: Ultimate Civilization II Classic Collection (Big Box)

Includes:
- Vanilla version ?
- Multiplayer Gold ?
- Fantastic Worlds

(Cover says "Civilization II and Multiplayer", so both versions may be included, but this box may only include just "Multiplayer Gold" and two expansions. System requirements say that it is compatible with Windows 95+, so Vanilla version seems not to be included.)

Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition (Big Box)

Includes:
- Multiplayer Gold
- Fantastic Worlds

Atari, Best of Infogrames, 2001 (DVD-case)

Includes:
- Vanilla version ?
- Multiplayer Gold ?
- Conflicts in Civilization ?
- Fantastic Worlds ?

(Front cover mentiones this one to be "Complete Version".)

Atari, Best of Infogrames (Strategy), 2001 (DVD-case)

Includes:
- Multiplayer Gold

(Best of Infogrames written with white on red background.)

Front cover mentiones this one to be "Complete Version", but back cover doesn't mention any included expansions. System requirements say "Windows 95b/98/98SE/Me", so it should be "Multiplayer Gold"-edition. Though, multiplayer network requirements are not specified.
Along the box and CD, there comes an instructions-appendix and an advertisement of other games released in the same series.

Atari, 2002 (Jewel case)

Includes:
- Vanilla version

Comes in jewel case, with install guide. There is no back cover. The cover of the CD has a red Atari-logo on lower-middle part of the CD and the texts say: "Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP Part # 99227CDA", but it supports Windows 3.1, too. So it's 16-bit version. There are only two scenarios included: ROME.SCN & WWII.SCN.

Sold-Out Software, 2004 (DVD-case)

Includes:
- Vanilla version ?

(Back cover doesn't mention Multiplayer Gold or expansions.)

Hasbro: Civilization II: Test Of Time (Big Box)

Includes:
- Test of Time -version with multiplayer support.
- Scenario: "The History of Midgard."
- Stand-alone game: Lalande 21185
- Stand-alone game: Midgard

2K Games: Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles (Huge Box)

Includes:
- Multiplayer Gold
- Fantastic Worlds
- Test of Time (Possibly full version?)

Sources used so far: Mobygames, Amazon, C-net & eBay

Edits:

2016-09-14: A few additions, corrections and formatting fixes.
2017-05-12: Added info on "Atari, Best of Infogrames (Strategy), 2001 (DVD-case)"-version.
2017-05-20: Added new release "Atari, 2002 (Jewel case)"-version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom