Civ4 BTS Hands-on Preview @ GameSpy

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
GameSpy also posted their hands-on preview of Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. You probably won't find much new info if you have been reading the last few previews, but it's still a very good read! Be sure to check out the Boudica leaderhead and the 4 new Final Frontier screenshots!

The folks at GameSpy are impressed by the huge amount of content in the expansion. In fact, they fear it might be too much.

After seeing how staggering the list of changes and additions are to Civ IV: BtS, our main concern is this: it might be too much. Civ IV is already a pretty complicated game, and adding additional management layers (via Espionage and Corporations) and dealing with so much new stuff might simply be a bit overwhelming for even diehard Civ IV veterans. Then again, "too much stuff" isn't a bad thing to complain about. Keep an eye out for both the Final Frontier demo, and our definitive feelings on Beyond The Sword in our review after it hits stores on July 24th.

The article mentioned that a demo of Final Frontier scenario will be available for download from FilePlanet next Month.

>> Civ4 BtS Info Center
>> Civ4 BtS Screenshots

Wait a second. Hmm, that Boudica looks familiar. A little more ruffled, a little angrier looking, but yeah, I think that's the waitress that served me beer in Sid Meier's Pirates! :lol:

SNERK. It looks like Catherine loses the title of 'Sexiest Female Leaderhead'. :lol:

In fact, they fear it might be too much.

Noooo they're wrong
It would be great expansion in comparison to warlords wich all the changes could be released in patch!

If i pay money for game i want high quality product not robbery

SNERK. It looks like Catherine loses the title of 'Sexiest Female Leaderhead'. :lol:

I think Boudicca looks like a tramp.

I rejoiced in the way the workers belonging to the Holy Roman Empire looked like European peasants, not like ancient Egyptian workers. The change to give units a special look according to their civ was long overdue. I love this!

Hah, thats Gamespy in a nutshell: If a game takes more than 3 hours to complete, its too long.

I wonder if they are going to make a few new architectural styles as well?

Considering that a good amount of the civs in the game are from the Middle East, I hope they are going to make a distinctive building style for them, hopefully for the Native Americans too (Inca, Maya, Aztec, etc.)

Dear Mr Firaxis man,

I am very ill. [cough, cough] My doctor says it is unlikely that I will last more than [insert release date countdown] day/s. Therefore, is it possible [cough, cough] that I might have an early copy of Beyond the Sword? I would be ever so grateful.

Yours

Little Timmy
[cough]

Seriously, I can't take it any more. This expansion has too much gaming goodness. To - much - joy. Not - enough - pants. Please, somebody post a bad preview so I can return my level of expectation back to pre-explosive levels. I mean, come on. The least flattering thing anyone has said so far is that it has too much content! Ack. That did not really help all that much :crazyeye:

... Please, somebody post a bad preview so I can return my level of expectation back to pre-explosive levels. I mean, come on. The least flattering thing anyone has said so far is that it has too much content! Ack. That did not really help all that much :crazyeye:

i know! all this sounds just too good. :eek:

Dear Mr Firaxis man,

I am very ill. [cough, cough] My doctor says it is unlikely that I will last more than [insert release date countdown] day/s. Therefore, is it possible [cough, cough] that I might have an early copy of Beyond the Sword? I would be ever so grateful.

Yours

Little Timmy
[cough]

Seriously, I can't take it any more. This expansion has too much gaming goodness. To - much - joy. Not - enough - pants. Please, somebody post a bad preview so I can return my level of expectation back to pre-explosive levels. I mean, come on. The least flattering thing anyone has said so far is that it has too much content! Ack. That did not really help all that much :crazyeye:

LOL put your pants back on and play some Warlords for now Soldier! :D

MY mind is spinning like a crack high rodent on an exercise wheel:aargh: :run:

Early spys, another babe, corporate strategies...awesome

Has anyone heard/seen/wants some minor weather factor in the game. Maybe a 1% chance per turn that a city takes hit from a tsunami or something? How about a random chance for a creeping ice age?

Miyamoto Musashi 'A Book of Five Rings'
"Look at everything as an opportunity to kill your opponent."

Yea really..."too much" c'mon.

BTS will set the standard for the industry! :lol:

NEVER! Catherine is a sexy lady; Boudica is just a tramp.

But I couldn't agree more about the pain of waiting. I am currently winning a Warlords game playing as Augustus. I have crushed or cowed all my enemies and am waltzing towards a space race, despite having opponents such as Brennus, Tokugawa, Isabella and Huayna Capac. (I've killed Genghis Khan and Catherine. Business before love!) Do I care? Not in the least! [SCORNFUL SNÖRFL] I just want to play BtS!

Another problem is that Boudicca's (notice the two c's :p ) also quite clearly in Scotland in that picture, not her native England, and in front of castles that wouldn't be built for over a thousand years.

But then I'm just nitpicking on what looks to be the best expansion pack since The Conquerors.

Boudica looks like a total yummy-mummy.

She probably has traded in her chariot for a Landrover.

Top Bottom