Apolyton Preview Part 2: Winning Personalities

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
The second part of Apolyton's multi-part preview of Civilization: Revolution written by yours truly :D is now available. Entitled "Winning Personalities", here's an excerpt:

One [victory condition that] surprises me with how it piques my interest, and another with why I feel the unfortunate need to pass on it. The remaining two are so evenly matched contenders for my playstyle that they demand a photo finish. All four apply in both singleplayer and multiplayer, and diplomacy should play an important hand in winning whatever victory path you choose in either circumstance.

The third part of this `Rev It Up` feature is to be released in the coming days.

Will there be offline multiplayer because I don't play online and would like to play this game with some friends offline. :confused:

Will there be offline multiplayer because I don't play online and would like to play this game with some friends offline. :confused:
As I answered elsewhere in part for you, not hotseat but if memory serves correctly you can play over a LAN though.

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. Lan in a network connection I don't want to play online I would like to play with my friends offline. For example like a vs mode in the game where my friends and I could just begin to play against each other.

Thank you very much for answering my questions

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. Lan in a network connection I don't want to play online I would like to play with my friends offline. For example like a vs mode in the game where my friends and I could just begin to play against each other.
I do not believe I misunderstood what you were asking. :) What you are describing, "versus mode", is hotseat. LAN is Local Area Network -- it could be connected to the Internet in addition to being connected to each other or it could just be a self-contained unit (Intranet). I believe you can setup CivRev to play on an Intranet-only LAN.

Thank you very much for answering my questions
Welcome!

So does that mean that I don't have to connect to the internet? I never go online I am not into playing online games. Will I be able to play against friends offline then?? Sorry I am not very familiar with this because most games just have a simple versus mode lol.

So does that mean that I don't have to connect to the internet?
If you can play over an Intranet-only LAN as I believe you can, then yes.

Will I be able to play against friends offline then?? Sorry I am not very familiar with this because most games just have a simple versus mode lol.
An Intranet is a computer network with restricted access, as within a company, that uses software and protocols developed for the Internet.

Sorry to post again, but how are the graphics in this game?
The graphics are excellent. :cool: From the Xbox360 version I saw, they will be superior to Civilization IV (save on the Nintendo DS which is 8-bit driven).

'Civfan333' has already referenced some screenshots above, and there are some in the two parts so far published of my preview (5 and 4 respectively). You can also find a collection at http://apolyton.net/misc/civrev.php.

bernie said:
So does that mean that I don't have to connect to the internet?
If you can play over an Intranet-only LAN as I believe you can, then yes.

bernie said:
Will I be able to play against friends offline then?? Sorry I am not very familiar with this because most games just have a simple versus mode lol.
An Intranet is a computer network with restricted access, as within a company, that uses software and protocols developed for the Internet.

I can't be sure that I'm thinking on the same wavelength as bernie, but it sounds to me like you PC-heads are missing the point of the question. From where I'm sitting, a "simple versus mode lol" is one console, one copy of the game, more than one player, and preferably some beer of the lager variety. Player 1 gets to take his turn, just like a normal offline game, and then instead of shifting control to an AI for the next civ, the game passes to another player-controlled civ, and Player 2 takes his turn, and so on. In other words, Play By Email, but without the saving, emailing and loading.
Of course this method wouldn't work in traditional civ, because by the time player 1 had finished micromanaging his towns, players 2-4 would have drunk all the beer of the lager variety, and it would be time to go for the bus home. But in a civ which is designed to fit 6000 years into a single evening, maybe it is viable. (Also it has the problem that players would be able to see each other's empires, instead of staring blindly into the fog of war, but I don't honestly consider that game-breaking).
Indeed, if Firaxis construct their games the same way I do, then this mode existed some months ago, before they taught the AI how take its turns. But I don't suppose it will be in the final game.

Thank you that is exaclty what I was saying. Why don't you think this mode will be available?

I can't be sure that I'm thinking on the same wavelength as bernie, but it sounds to me like you PC-heads are missing the point of the question. From where I'm sitting, a "simple versus mode lol" is one console, one copy of the game, more than one player, and preferably some beer of the lager variety. Player 1 gets to take his turn, just like a normal offline game, and then instead of shifting control to an AI for the next civ, the game passes to another player-controlled civ, and Player 2 takes his turn, and so on. In other words, Play By Email, but without the saving, emailing and loading.
I may be a "PC-head" :D, but I'm sure I'm not missing the point of the question. :) The "simple versus mode lol" is hotseat to us PC users: one machine, one copy of the game, more than one player.

Aaaaaah Hotseat! As a console-head I always wondered what that was, but never actually got around to informing myself! :hammer2:
Well does that mean it has a chance of making it into Civ Rev? I figured it wouldn't be in because it is low tech compared to all this Always-Online / simultaneous play modes / connectivity / streamlined buzzwords we hear so much these days. :old:

Aaaaaah Hotseat! As a console-head I always wondered what that was, but never actually got around to informing myself! :hammer2:
No worries. :D

Well does that mean it has a chance of making it into Civ Rev? I figured it wouldn't be in because it is low tech compared to all this Always-Online / simultaneous play modes / connectivity / streamlined buzzwords we hear so much these days. :old:
No, I don't think there is hotseat or equivalent in CivRev as I said earlier; to elaborate, I believe one-on-one mode for instance requires each player to have their own machine and copy of the game.

I too remember when hotseat (and its otherwise-labeled counterparts) was a buzzword. Sigh. ;)

Top Bottom