Rhoanna's Rise (Fall from Heaven II: Shadow)

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 232

Privateers continue to venture near our coast. Going to assign an extra Trireme in Buccaneer configuration to guard the fishing boats, since Caravels aren't strong enough.

Finally going to take care of Acheron! Our Adept inspires our troops with Courage before sending them off to slay the Red Dragon.

Year 233 - The Dragon Slayers

We send a mixed force of Mounted Mercenaries, Horse Archers, Chariots, and Axemen. Acheron has 4 effective first strikes (with Stonekin) so we'll send in the Horse Archers first because of their high withdrawal rate and immunity to first strike. After that will be Chariots, Mounted Mercenaries, then Axemen last. With the Flanking I promotion, Horse Archers and Chariots have 65% and 55% withdrawal, respectively.

Ok so it turns out I never used the Mounted Mercenaries at all, toward the end Axemen had very good combat odds compared to MMs. In all I only lost 3 Horse Archers and 1 Chariot. I'm a little annoyed that the Chariot got killed by a puny Warrior, but oh well.

We now control the Dragon's Hoard and the entire continent.

Switching from Apprenticeship to Arete for the extra production and ability to hurry production with gold.

We've mapped Hyborem's island. It contains Nightmares which would make awesome calvalry units. Short-term plan is to conquer that island and destroy the Infernals.

Year 234 - Conquering Myrean Isle

We've recruited Mounted Mercenaries at the colony of Urgortheth and they have successfully conquered the barbarian city of Myrean.

We have refused Perpentach's demand that we stop trading with the Grigori.

Year 235 - Varn Gosam has asked us for our Stirrups technology and we have refused.

Year 237 - We've signed an Open Borders treaty with the Luchuirp.

Year 238 - The Founding of Gaene

We've built the colony of Gaene on Myrean Isle. So we're done settling Myrean Isle and we're sharing it with Amelanchier's city of Eodd, which happens to be the Empyrean Holy City. That's going to be a problem because as a holy city it generates a fair amount of culture and it's gonna start eating away at our border.

Year 240 - We have refused Perpentach's plea for help against the Grigori.

Year 241

Got another Great Merchant and used him to bulb toward Warhorses.

Year 242 - We have refused Auric's plea for help against the Grigori.

Year 244 - The Founding of Ihara

The island city of Ihara has been founded near Illian lands.

Year 245 - We have signed an Open Borders treaty with the Bannor.

Year 247 - We have negotiated a trade agreement with the Grigori. We will trade our Cows for their Cotton.

Year 249 - We done researching Warhorses! Now researching Sanitation so we can switch off Agriculture without losing food output.

Year 252

The Luchuirp have declared war on the Infernals and Hyborem has asked us to join forces with him. We have refused Hyborem's offer.

We have signed an Open Borders treaty with the Malakim.

We've researched Sanitation. Now researching Mathematics --> Astronomy to open up trade routes across the ocean. That should bring in tons of commerce.

Year 253 - The Founding of Kaselorne

We've founded the island city of Kaselorne.

We've switched from Agriculture to Foreign Trade. Once we research Astronomy, our trade income should be astronomical indeed.

You really need to jump over the infernals fast if you want those Nightmares... It will not take long until the Good vs Evil wars to start and you know what that does to the infernals.....

And a side note: the lonely giant now has some action on the sea to distract him :lol:

Just a suggestion. I would gift some cities to the Elohim, so they can help in future war efforts. Clar Marrachir would be an excellent city for them.

Yeah that is something to consider. I might even go further and give them back their RoK holy city since it's taking me forever to pop out a great prophet to build the RoK shrine anyway.

I'm greedy so I'd rather keep Clar Marrachir since once it gets going it'll provide alot of commerce. Even now, it's barely developped and it more than pays for itself. It's mine all mine :king:

Spoiler Clar Marrachir city screen :

You really need to jump over the infernals fast if you want those Nightmares... It will not take long until the Good vs Evil wars to start and you know what that does to the infernals.....

I hear ya, last thing I want is for them to get vassaled. I'm waiting for my War Chariots to be ready before attacking the Infernals. Once I have a Hippodrome built, I'll immediately upgrade a trio of Chariots to War Chariots and send them demon slaying.

Cool! Evernoob's back.

A few points I'd like to make:
1) Assuming you're planning to tackle Hyborem, do you know who made the Infernal Pact in the first place?
2) What units is he fielding? I've haven't played up to the IP in my FFH2 game yet, so...
3) How did you get Hyborem to be a vassal in the Grigori game? Can you replicate it? Your popularity would diminish, but it would save the time needed to war and grant access to the Nightmares.

keep Car Marrachir, bring there few soldiers of killmorp, they can hurry production, build lighthouse, harbor, and money exchanger. Sea cities like that make nice moneymaking.

A few points I'd like to make:
1) Assuming you're planning to tackle Hyborem, do you know who made the Infernal Pact in the first place?
2) What units is he fielding? I've haven't played up to the IP in my FFH2 game yet, so...
3) How did you get Hyborem to be a vassal in the Grigori game? Can you replicate it? Your popularity would diminish, but it would save the time needed to war and grant access to the Nightmares.

That would be interesting to know. Since nobody is AV right now...I have no way of knowing who researched it. But at this point it no longer matters, the damage is done so to speak.

In my grigori game, I think what happened was that Basium cast his world spell and killed Hyborem (the unit) with it. That was before balance adjustments were made to the mercurian world spell. Once their leader was gone, the Infernals voluntarily asked me to be my vassal.

In this game i'm not interested in vassaling the infernals, since they'd drag me into wars with the good civs. And well, what mortal in their right mind wants to keep demons around and turn Erebus into hell? ;)

Rex rgis of Ter said:
I would also attack Eodd to secure a second holy city (get a shrine) and to relive cultural pressure.

Eodd itself would be easy to take. On the other hand war in general with Amelanchier would be hard. He has a defensive pact with Sabathiel and from what I've seen, has a significant navy. A land war with Amelanchier would also be tough, he still has his world spell and those random Treants spawning from ancient forests are hard to account for. I'm not saying it would be impossible, I'm just not willing to commit to such a large scale war, yet.

A step down from Amelanchier would be attacking Cassiel. He has the CoE holy city, which interests me much more. And he's busy being at war with Perpentach.

Slvynn said:
keep Car Marrachir, bring there few soldiers of killmorp, they can hurry production, build lighthouse, harbor, and money exchanger. Sea cities like that make nice moneymaking.

Yeah those cities are real cash cows. That's my general plan for them, although it's fairly low on my list of priorities right now. I haven't built any new cavalry units (except MMs) since fighting Acheron and Hyborem (the next 30 or so turns have already been played, just needs the write up) so my military has thinned down quite abit. Therefore all my production is going toward naval+cavalry, ride of nine kings, heroic epic, and hippodromes.

That would be interesting to know. Since nobody is AV right now...I have no way of knowing who researched it. But at this point it no longer matters, the damage is done so to speak.
The name of the holy city doesn't appear in the religious screen? Too bad....

That's the weird thing, Auric controls the holy city...but he can't adopt a religion, so he wouldn't have been able to research infernal pact.

But Auric isn't agnostic, he "only" has a -100 modifier against all religions.
So he isn't blocked from researching the techs, building temples,..
Only from adopting them as state religion (unless Kael changed it in one of the last patches)

Noone can resereach infernal pact unless he HAVE AV as state religion.

Nice AAR! When is the update?

Thanks! It should be this tuesday. I just moved so I don't have internet at home for the moment, using internet cafe.

Edit: Ok I lied, brough over my usb drive. I hope the pictures aren't too big, the resolution on the comp is weird so I have trouble telling how big the pictures really are.

Chapter 8: Bambur's Quest

Year 254-284

[tab][size=+1]A[/size]s foretold by the Prophecy of Ragnarok, in Year 255 Erebus was struck by an unholy Blight the likes of which none had ever seen. Once fertile plains turned to deserts as all crops withered and cattle died of disease. Many years earlier our Goddess Kilmorph has foretold that the presence of Hyborem and his minions on Erebus would eventually bring the Blight onto us. Were it not for Kilmorph's wisdom and foresight, the Hippus would have been caught unprepared. Following the Goddess' advice, a group of Water Adepts had been trained in preparation for such an event. Using Water magic learned from the Elohim we were able to restore much of the land destroyed by the Blight. While the other nations of Erebus were reeling from the shock of the Blight, the Hippus immediatly sprang into action.

Under his Mother Kilmorph's guidance, Bambur had already set out for Demon Isle with a small but brave band of Hippus warriors. Their goal was to build a Hippus outpost on that hellish island to one day serve as a home base in the war against the Infernals. Little did they know that day would come sooner than expected. The Barbarian settlement of Kalocly was captured and rebuilt as an outpost of the Guild of the Nine. Hyborem kept a close eye on all our movements but made no overt move against us, overconfident in his ability of crush us at any time. Once the Blight struck, we immediatly sent out an army to Demon Isle to be led by Bambur. Our orders to Bambur echoed those of his Goddess: destroy the Infernals and remove the source of the Blight.

By Year 271 Bambur's army was ready for the invasion of Hyborem's domain. The offensive was spearheaded by our elite War Chariots, followed by a large contingent of Mounted Mercenaries. Also, for the first time in Hippus history non-Hippus mercenaries were allowed into our army. An Orc and a Lizardman joined us in battle, proving that even the lesser races of Erebus have their moments of glory as well.

In Year 174 our forces reached the gates of Dis, capital of the Infernals. The Battle of Dis was long and fierce, as the Infernal garrison was led by the infamous Rosier, fallen knight formerly of the Order. Although now an unholy Knight of the Ashen Veil, his horsemanship and battle prowess was respected and admired by all Hippus who knew him. Once Bambur's army overran the Infernal defenders, Rosier refused to retreat and made his last stand, as a true warrior should. And so when the dust of battle had settled, the victorious Hippus dedicated a moment of silence in respect of a worthy opponent and for what Rosier had once been.

Rosier's last stand by Yggdrasil​

All of Erebus was grateful toward the Hippus for waging war against the Infernals, except the Sheaim. Serving a dark purpose little understood by outsiders, Os-Gabella joined forces with Hyborem in Year 173 and declared war on the Hippus, despite being already at war with the Luchuirp. However even the Sheaim could not hold us back, as by Year 178 Hyborem was forced to retreat to his last remaining city of Despero.

The siege at Despero was the bloodiest battle ever fought by the Hippus as Hyborem singlehandedly slew countless warriors. Even hardened veteran victorious against Acheron trembled before the unholy aura of Hyborem.

Erebus is the realm of mortals, and in such a place even a mighty demon such as Hyborem cannot resist a horde of mortals forever. And so Hyborem was defeated and banished from Erebus. The glory of such an achievement was eclipsed only by its cost in blood.

And the glory was great indeed. As word of the Bambur's victory over the Infernals spread across Erebus, the legend of the Hippus grew. Already known as dragon slayers, the Hippus had now earned the title of demon slayers as well. Everywhere the Hippus traveled they were respected and admired. More often than not, our merchants would rely on Hippus reputation as they brokered lucrative trade agreements.

Back in the homeland, the victory against the Infernals had inspired the citizens to new heights of achievement. The Ride of Nine Kings and the Mines of Gal-Dur were completed at the end of the war, as monuments to Hippus glory. However, the most significant event following the war was the unremarkable and unnoticed founding of Ukanevar in Year 281. It was a small settlement built on the barren tundra of Demon Isle, an inhospitable place to be sure. Some of the more adventurous warhorse breeders had heard legends of the hell horses, also known as Nightmares. As wild as hell itself, many saw these beasts as too savage to tame. But the old Hippus breeders have a simple saying, "wilder horses make better rides". The revolution in Hippus horsemanship that followed the taming of the Nightmares proved it to be all too true.

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 254 - Foothold on Demon Isle

In order to establish a foothold on Demon Isle, we're gonna capture the barbarian city of Kalocly. Kalocly is defended by 2 Warriors. We're sending 2 MMs, an Axeman, led by Bambur. From there I'll be able to recruit more MMs.

Ferrying troops to the Isle is abit tricky because there's alot of Privateers about. To address the problem I'm going for Astronomy and building the Mines of Gal-dur so I can build Frigates (requires Iron) and Galleons. Though they won't be available before I finish conqueing the Infernals.

An Ogre is always useful.

Diplomatic summary. Auric is now Cassiel's vassal and are both at war with Perpentach. Os-Gabella and Hyborem are at war with Garrim Gyr. We have to strike soon.

Currently building the Ride of Nine Kings in Altheriol-ta-Mealthiel.

Oh and the Armageddon counter is at 40. Blight coming!

Year 255 - Blight

The Blight strikes all of Erebus...

Thankfully we have a handful of Water Adepts available to turn deserts back to plains.

We capture Kalocly.

Year 258

We researched Mathematic, now researching Astronomy.

Slowly begun ferrying additional troops to Kalocly.

Year 260 - Cassiel keeps asking us to help him against the Balseraphs. And we keep refusing.

Year 262 - We've upgraded our first War Chariot.

Year 263 - Hyborem demands that we stop trading with the Malakim! If only he knew what we had in store for him...

Year 265 - We've signed an Open Borders agreement with the Illians.

Year 268

We've finished researching Astronomy and now have access to overseas trade routes. Now researching Military Strategy for the Heroic Epic.

We've also begun building the Winter Palace in Cahir Abbey and using Soldiers of Kilmorph to hurry production.

Year 270

The Luchuirp have asked us for help to declare war on the Infernal. We refused because we're not quite ready yet. All in good time.

We've recruited 6 MMs at Kalocly.

Summary of Hyborem's military

Using our Lizardman with a Hawk, we're able to scout out all of Hyborem's units. They're tough units to deal with even if there's few of them. The Frigates, added to roaming Privateers, are going to make sea transport difficult.

Year 271 - The Infernal War

Bambur leads an army composed of:
  • 1 Ogre
  • 1 Horse Archer
  • 1 Chariot
  • 3 Axemen
  • 3 War Chariots
  • 11 Mounted Mercenaries
The priority is to conquer the Infernals quickly before Hyborem has a chance to become someone else's vassal.

We begin the war by capturing a Fort near the border, guarded by a Succubus.

We then pick off Infernal units caught outside cities: 2 Swordmen, 1 Sect of Flies, 1 Diseased Corpse, 1 Worker.

We've researched Military Strategy. Now researching Tracking.

Year 172

We pick off an Imp travelling between cities.

Hyborem kills a MM in the field. And retreats back to the safety of Despero

Year 173 - The Sheaim Enter the Fray

Os-Gabella has declared war on us!

We've researched Tracking. Now researching Poisons for Assassins.

Year 274 - The Battle of Dis

We capture the city of Dis.

Since Dis has an Academy I'll turn it into a commerce city later on.

We've recruited 4 more MMs at Kalocly.

Year 277

We've researched Poisons, now researching Divination for the eventual Law nodes/Tower of Divination.

Year 278 - Siege on Hyborem

Hyborem is holed up in the city of Despero.

Perpentach has asked us to declare war on the Illians and we refused.

We've completed the Ride of Nine Kings in Altheriol-ta-Mealthiel. Planning to build a Hippodrome and the Heroic Epic as well.

Year 279 - Banishment of the Infernals

We've defeated Hyborem and banished all the Infernals from Erebus! In terms of resources, we've gained alot from the Infernals: Toads, Fruit of Yggdrasil and Nightmares. There's also the Infernal Grimoire in Dis, for people who don't know, it's a Wonder/item that can be carried by a unit and gives the ability to "read the Grimoire" and cast a random spell with a chance to kill the unit. I'll try it out on some hapless MMs and see if it really works or not. In any case it makes for a good story :)

We've completed the Mines of Gal-Dur.

Year 281 - Founding of Ukanevar

We've built the settlement of Ukanevar next to the Nightmare.

Done researching Divination, now going for Smelting-->Iron Working to open up Armored Cavalry and Mithril Working.

I've begun trading our resources for gold with various civs:

Garrim Gyr: horse, copper, gold, fur for 9 gold
Cassiel: clam, corn for cotton and 4 gold
Sandalphon: clam for 6 gold
Perpentach: Iron for 11 gold
Sabathiel: Ivory for 5 gold

I traded Iron to Perpentach hoping it'll help him in the war against Cassiel.

Also traded techs with Sabathiel: our Mathematics and Festivals for his Priesthood.

Here's a diplomatic summary. Also, the AC is down to 30.

Year 282

Did the following tech trades:

Varn Gosam: Military Strategy and Stirrups for his Engineering and Way of the Wise
Cassiel: Stirrups and 185 gold for his Taxation

Also trading our Cows for 4 gold/turn to Varn Gosam.

Changed research to Way of the Wicked-->Deception for Council of Esus. The religious diplomatic penalty is beginning to take its toll, switching to CoE should alleviate this.

Year 284

Intelligence indicates that the Grigori have Dragon Slayers, Chariots, Arquebi, Baron Duin Halfmorn and at least 3 Adventurers at their disposal. Nothing Magnadine and our cavalry can't handle. The main concern is our somewhat average navy which needs a serious overhaul. We'll be using exclusively Frigates to bombard the coastal cities so we needs a strong naval presence.

We've finished researching Way of the Wicked, now going for Deception.

For the moment we're pulling in 224 gold/turn with the slider at 40% science.

When you switch to CoE will you lose Bambur?
How do nightmares work? How do toads work? I've never seen the AC go higher then mid-30s (i sanctify ruins lots).

Blight makes plains/grassland turn to desert? I thought it just killed farms and pastures. What other effects does it cause?

Low science, high cash is to feed your mercenaries?

Great story.

I.

Top Bottom