What are the differences between the terrain textures?

Darth Andrew

Chieftain
I'm curious as to how Blue Marble is different from Sparth, for instance.

Also, is there an explanation for each map (terra, fractal, etc)?

I think the terrain change feature is broken. At least it doesn't work for me :(

@sogroon: That's strange because the screen you have shown to me last time was showing that the process works. Do you have disabled your module to change textures?

@Darth Andrew: Good question. We should take screenshots of differents textures and add them to the website.

@sogroon: That's strange because the screen you have shown to me last time was showing that the process works. Do you have disabled your module to change textures?

Yes, it was a fresh install.
Now trying again with clclearing the cashe manually. Last time I didn't check if the checker truly cleared it or not.

Also, is there an explanation for each map (terra, fractal, etc)?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134226 Has descriptions and pictures detailing every individual option of all the 'stock' mapscripts (Fractal, Highlands, etc)

The Map Scripts forum has threads for other scripts like Tortestra and Planet Generator, though how 'descriptive' their info is might vary. Most seem to have pictures though :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=461262

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

So I made some screenshots to show what's wrong:

Original:
Civ4ScreenShot0080.JPG

AND:
Civ4ScreenShot0079.JPG

Blue Marble:
Civ4ScreenShot0081.JPG

Vincentz:
Civ4ScreenShot0082.JPG
As you see the 4 sets are almost identical.
Peaks are darker in AND.
Marches differ in Vincentz

Alternate (Sprath)
Civ4ScreenShot0078.JPG

...and how it should look like:
Civ4ScreenShot0083.JPG

NOTE: Yes, the FPK files are always present as I change it in the checker, but they don't work as they should (for me at least).
Also, I saw one time having TWO fpk files at the same time. Iirc it was Vincentz and Bluemarble after a swicth.

A bit different topic:

I noticed that many peoples screenshot shows that they have pretty waves on their water tiles:
Spoiler :

But mine is "just flat" (see post bellow) :confused:

How do I get those?? I have High Detailed terrain and High Level graphics, but...
:confused:

Sogroon do you use blue marble terrains?

I have noticed those pretty waves too and I wonder if blue marble terrains is reason why I dont have those.

I always choose blue marble when installing new version. I use manditurs nightly upadates.

If you find out how to get those better waves please tell:)

I checked all installed mods I have and find out that RFC Dawn of Civilization have those nice waves. I take water.dds file in art/terrain path and replaced the one that blue marble uses with that and voila we have new waves:)

I checked all installed mods I have and find out that RFC Dawn of Civilization have those nice waves. I take water.dds file in art/terrain path and replaced the one that blue marble uses with that and voila we have new waves:)

Woa! Good job! Thx! :goodjob:
I will try it tomorrow.
I think I will add them to Alternative Terrain too.

It is included into the "A New Dawn" set which you show as a screenshot (#7). Blue Marble doesn't have it in the original set.

It is included into the "A New Dawn" set which you show as a screenshot (#7). Blue Marble doesn't have it in the original set.

Screenshot #7 is not mine, but Vokarya's.
Screenshot #2 (AND) does not show those waves though:
Spoiler :

Do you have different results than mine? :confused:

BTW. Did you work only with .dds files or xml-s too? Because Sprath's version included edited xml files too, which I had to further edit to work properly in AND :mischief:

Heres picture of new waves with blue marble and I also added islands from RI mod.
I think islands give nice touch:)

Btw @45 and other developers if you read this thread..
AI seems to be doing lot worst eternity game speed than snail speed. I have run dozens of test games with AI autoplay and some reason AI is building more cities with snail speed.

Some civs that usually have 4-5 cities 2000 BC with snail speed have only 1-2 cities with eternity speed. Maybe settlers take so long to build eternity speed that AI choose to build something else?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 300
Heres picture of new waves with blue marble and I also added islands from RI mod.
I think islands give nice touch:)

Btw @45 and other developers if you read this thread..
AI seems to be doing lot worst eternity game speed than snail speed. I have run dozens of test games with AI autoplay and some reason AI is building more cities with snail speed.

Some civs that usually have 4-5 cities 2000 BC with snail speed have only 1-2 cities with eternity speed. Maybe settlers take so long to build eternity speed that AI choose to build something else?

It was mentioned many times before, that slower speeds are unbalanced, though I had no idea what areas does that mean.

Islands? What islands? Can you post a screenshot? :)
EDIT: I see now. What impact do they have on the game?

I forgot to attach screenshot but it should be there now:)

There are two kinds of islands, southern and northern. The latter ones give 1 hammer and one commerce, southern ones give one food also. Not big impact but gives better look to world map:) oh, and they also gives +25% defending unit.

I forgot to attach screenshot but it should be there now:)

There are two kinds of islands, southern and northern. The latter ones give 1 hammer and one commerce, southern ones give one food also. Not big impact but gives better look to world map:) oh, and they also gives +25% defending unit.

So they are not just graphics.
I guess it also means that you have to add them manually, since no mapscript will generate them.
They would be a perfect place to put goody huts on.

@Sogroon: None of the terrains you show are correct. They are all blue marble (except the peaks that seems to change). Can you check in My Games/BTS/ if there are not custom assets or something. Obviously, there is a problem on your installation. I'll try to recheck the code but, if there is only one "terrain_textures_*.fpk", there's no reason that the mod loads blue marble.
BM should be installed somewhere and overwrites the AND installation.

Hehe...
Not there but in the assets/art folder I had 2 folders. Alternative Terrain (okay, that's my stuff) and terrain (that's NOT).
After deledeleting these 2 folders with their content everything is okay. I EVEN HAVE THOSE PRETTY WAVES :woohoo::woohoo:

I can only think that installing the mod with the full install and choosing BM creates that folder, which caused my troubles.

Thx for the hint! Now it works anyway :cool:

Top Bottom