Slow turns

don't look at the processor only, video card is very important as well. Also RAM ...
I play with following config:

Intel I5 2500K
8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x 4GB)
AMD RADEON 7770
regular HDD (not SSD)

My first games were at Earth Maps with default amount of CIVs (don't remember how many that is) at Marathon speed. And never had any problems with slow turns. Max a minute to process all the computers. And there was really lot of stuff going late game, as everyone had like 20 cities.

And that with regular combat, regular movement etc. I don't know the graphic settings (have never touched that), but not the game is the problem, most of the time is the hardware you play on.

How big of a difference is it to move from normal to large maps?

I play on a 6 years old desktop (intel e6750 with 4 GBs of ram), and on standard map, late game turns are typically ~20s max. Is the game really that slow for large map with a newer computer?

The 4000 series is similarly priced, has better TDP (needs less electricity) and has a slight performance boost. Imo, i5 4570 is the best choice available atm for a home desktop. Don't expect miracles, though. I have a i5 3550 @4GHz and turn times past industrial era, on large maps and high difficulty levels often take over 2 minutes.

Have you overclocked it or something? That speed seems awfully fast for an i5. Even for an i7 3GHz seems about the best.

afaik for turn processing it's mostly CPU that counts

What happens then (AFAIK, and I have a reasonable video card and an i7 processor) is that the turns get ahead of the graphics. That is, I can notice a units damage bar in combat drop to a level before a combat begins and then it returns to normal and the combat starts and you see the units perform the action. Bingo, the health bar drops to the level already observed.

Of course, this may happen anyway.

Top Bottom