What is wrong with these maps?

now I can totally agree with you :D

The concept is good, it just did not been implemented in an efficient way. If you check the FCOM:convergence mod for oblivion, the creator of the 4 biggest overhaul worked together to make them compatible and they kept the idea. Imposing a minimum and a maximum level for each enemy. It worked very well, the game was still "leveling" with the player but the player would no longer be able to become the arena champion at level one and past level 40 the bandit weren't equiped with daedric equipment.

haha no I hate all sort of enemy levelling with you stuff.
It just does not work in a RPG. You're supposed to roleplay in it. And you lose the immersion when enemies gets stronger because you get stronger. It doesn't make sense. Even if there is limits or switching to different enemies (where the hell did those weak guys suddenly go?)

I worked on a script to remove all the leveling stuff in it and keep the levels of enemies vary in regions and have a more realistic distribution of enemies' strength across the whole map. The result is that I need to do a lot of preparation work each time I go on an adventure. And when you sense enemies that are much stronger, you gota run for your life. Now that's realism.

My point was that there's a way to do it right without the player noticing thus, not breaking the immersion

Back to the topic of map script. I too fiddle with the script settings to try and find a good general setting for my games.
I have one mostly, but wish I could make more islands without them possibly being populated by civs.

I must say that I quite like how the old Test of Time scenario, Migard, did it. Let's say you started out as the humans. You were a surface race and started relatively in the center of the map with mountains 20 tiles to the east and ice/tundra in the far north. You have great potential to expand quickly, PROVIDED that you also can prevent the goblins from expanding and the Buteos from expanding. Of course, this concept also applied to the other civs (with the exception of the Infidels, who basically became the fodder for the barbarians) -- that you had to expand by preventing the other civs from expanding.

Point is, for a conqueror type player, you have to do a similar thing for RifE mapscripts, especially if you load the map with civs (like I do, lol). There is no free lunch to superpower-dom. And that's good, imho. Makes the game more interesting.

For those unfamiliar with how the old Migard scenario works:
Spoiler :

Test of Time allowed you to play a fantasy game or scifi game that had 4 interconnected maps. Migard applied this concept to a specific map.

The general idea of Migard is that you are 1 of 7 fantasy races; who start out either underground, in the clouds, under the sea, or the surface. (The undersea race can come on land, the underground races can build tunnels to the surface, and the cloud races can fly to the surface. It's hardest for surface races to enter the other maps.) An evil wizard (Volsang), who was magically put to sleep for decades after the last war, is waking up and threatens to control the world. As Volsang becomes more and more aware, he spreads his power by increasing the wasteland around his initial territory. (After 6 times of this occurring, you have lost the scenario.) You can't directly defeat Volsang. The barbarians in this scenario are Volsang's troops, with the added catch that (at least until you complete one of the quests) barbarians increase as more units get killed.

You have 3 choices to win: world conquest (which gets interesting because your race probably can't enter all of the maps until later in the game), completing 10 quests (the advantage of that each quest also has the effect of delaying Volsang's return), or researching until you discover how to contact the gods (who intervene on the behalf of the mortal races).

Top Bottom