Deity a step too far? (BNW)

I loaded a game I had saved at the choice of ideology( I knew not to go freedom as this messed things right up for me when I originally played it through, so I went order) As it turns out I finally got a V on Deity(although it doesn't really count as it was a replay) 318 turns.

My first Deity game I had it easy I guess. Won science victory turn 349 with the Mayans. I had a few wars but there were so many perma-wars on my pangaea game they ignored me most of the game except for one attempt to crush me early. The reason I was able to win later than the usual listed times for SV Deity is I actually started an early war with a friend around the advent of cannons and destroyed my neighbor Korea who was the only other science contender. I got annoyed at him always being a few techs ahead and it seemed he was slowly getting farther. He also was amassing a huge tourism stat. Kinda standard science route otherwise, but I took a detour in the renaissance to get musketmen/knights/cannons before I went for public schools as I knew Korea was ignoring that path--smashed him before he could match the tech then recovered in science. One other ally emerged as a contender for the spaceship (making 2-3 pieces) but he was several techs behind so it wasn't much of a race. The rush of units on my 4-city start and slowdown from incorporating the cities made it take longer but ended up worth it since I stopped him early. From that point on it was smooth sailing though I got some hate for it the first 80 turns or so after the deed. Even DOWing with friends they don't like you to take capitals.

I guess the transition would be harder for players that aren't used to starting wars though. Sometimes you need to crush someone when you realize they'll eventually beat you--Deity is easier if you are well trained in the art of war as it almost always comes down to it.

I'm pretty sure the biggest advantage the AI gets on deity is their starting units. So even if you're a long way behind, if you set yourself a decent platform you can catch up. It definitely doesn't get any smarter.

Definitely their starting units ... particularly starting with two settlers :(

What I can say for myself (after several Deity VC now, one for each VC) is that playing the Science part of the game really well and making other good decisions along the way, are what wins games in Deity.

Top Bottom