How to lower your GNP?

mclericp

Warlord
In every game, be it king or emperor(i cant handle above emperor atm), i always come out as the top GNP civ after meeting 1/2 of the civs

While i become richer, everyone else's GNP becomes crappier.
I dont like that.

I m playing with 22 civilizations on Yet another earth map.

Is there a way to somehow lower my GNP? I feel like god in the game and can use my enormous amount of money to dominate everything. Its not fun anymore

What i m looking for is, like the real world, every 200 yrs or so another civ's economy surpassed another civ. Right now, my GNP(modern era) is sitting nearly 10x above the 2nd GNP person(net gold is similar)

i use infoaddict

offtopic: why is it that even at Emperor, the civ seems to play on chieftain(economy only). Other stuffs like military they will dominate me until the industrious era where my GNP military science culture everything surpassed all, even brazil...

I'm so glad you raised this as I have exactly the same problem.

I normally play on Settler (occasionally Chieftain) and find that the AI just doesn't seem to do as well as I do. It's quite poor. In my last game I built all the world wonders - you'd think the AI would at least try and compete, huh? After a while (usually Classical era) I keep gifting my gold to the other civs to try and encourage them. Hope somebody can help us.

Apart from not improving tiles and not building production buildings (or scrapping the ones you have) and keeping your population low, there is no way to cut back your GNP.

AI on settler is as pathetic an opponent as you will ever find. Chieftain is hardly better. If you are romping through the game, either revel in it or step up a level or two in difficulty.

I think the question should be: why is the GNP of the AI so poor? Because you can always lower your GNP by not using trade routes or not building economy buildings. But thats not a viable strategy if you play to win.

Um, this is a completely virtual problem. If you are doing well enough to dominate everyone around you, increase difficulty setting. Whining about AI being easy to beat on chieftain is... well, it reeks of trolling.

Moderator Action: Please be wary of referring to others, or their posts, as trolls.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Mclericp, just try immortal.
Just as you said, you dominate AI when it comes to economy but you are being overwhelmed with their armies. When you will be forced to focus more on army, your GDP will grow slower as a result. It's not a great accomplishment to grow forgoing your army when everyone around you is armed up to their teeth. On emperor, it's a viable strategy, but complete neglect of your army will end badly for you on immortal.

No idea why your AI's are so poor, normally in my games I'll have 2 or 3 states that have around the same GPT as me, 1 which has like twice the amount I'm getting (If Greece is in my game, they're always making around 350GPT for some reason).

I can't remember the last time I actually ran away with money until the last 40 or so turns of the game, which at that point money only exists to stop whoever else has money from buying all the City States and getting a diplo victory.

The OP said he plays on king/emperor, not settler. I think it could be argued that the AI is better at some things than others, so that it's extra resources are not optimally distributed for a strong economy, but then, if the AI played optimally you wouldn't need any levels higher than prince. From a player's point of view, the solution is to move up to immortal.

Depends on the size of map. The bigger the map, the better the AI. When the AI is able to spam alot of cities, they become a powerhouse.

Is there a way to somehow lower my GNP? I feel like god in the game and can use my enormous amount of money to dominate everything.
You can lower your net income by making unequal trades. Negotiate for resources you already have, and don't need more of. For example, if Alexander is willing to sell you four horses for 10 gold, offer him 20 gold for 1 horse. This will not only handicap you, but it will bolster Alexander's GNP. Rinse and repeat. You should achieve economic parity with the AI civs without any problem, other than people liking you.

You can reduce your net income per turn by things like building armories / military academies in every city; and also you can keep it from becoming "too high" in the first place by skipping the buildings that increase gold and not building cargo ships.

Uhm maybe this ams a stupid questions but why don'ts you just plays a higher levels?

Uhm maybe this ams a stupid questions but why don'ts you just plays a higher levels?

yea ur question is stupid
jokes

i can only handle emperor atm. Any higher, and i cant cope with all those wars etc.
However if i can survive into the industrial era, my massive amount of gold will then boost my military to no. 1

But the period between classical and industrial, i am always the weakest(GNP isnt highest too). Any difficulty after industrial, i see my GNP shooting up exponentially, followed by military, culture, science etc

i m looking for a strategy that doesnt get me killed before the industrial era and doesnt get me Overpowered after that

btw i have played these civs on YNAEM

-USA
-shoshone
-Japan
-Carthage(very OP, so rich)
-Rome
-Persia
-Brazil
-germany

so far all of these guys result in me becoming rich. maybe they are OP?

yea ur question is stupid
jokes

i can only handle emperor atm. Any higher, and i cant cope with all those wars etc.
However if i can survive into the industrial era, my massive amount of gold will then boost my military to no. 1

But the period between classical and industrial, i am always the weakest(GNP isnt highest too). Any difficulty after industrial, i see my GNP shooting up exponentially, followed by military, culture, science etc

i m looking for a strategy that doesnt get me killed before the industrial era and doesnt get me Overpowered after that

btw i have played these civs on YNAEM

-USA
-shoshone
-Japan
-Carthage(very OP, so rich)
-Rome
-Persia
-Brazil
-germany

so far all of these guys result in me becoming rich. maybe they are OP?

It is because you play this game far to exponantially.

You neglect your military (hence you dont want early wars) and develop your kingdom all up to industrial, where you can then produce huge amounts of units.

You need to even it out and build more military early on. It WILL cripple you economy a little, but you wont' die to early DOW's

Sorry, it's entirely the difficulty level. Moving up in difficulty is the only solution.

It's not just the GNP - if you've gotten good a playing the 'development' game (i.e. the no-military half), you're going to surpass the AI by Industrial/Modern era on basically any/all fronts - money, science, culture, Global Congress, etc. Then basically you dominate, and the game becomes too easy and becomes boring.

Immortal is harder because the AI gets more of an advantage, so the point at which you pass them is later, and it's harder to dominate on all fronts if you can at all (on deity it's basically impossible to dominate on all fronts - you have to focus on one).

Yes, it would be ideal if the AI was able to maintain pace instead of having to get a headstart, but that's years off in the future.

Your other other option is to stay on emperor but try different approaches - i.e. try opening with piety instead of tradition/liberty. Go for a cultural victory. Etc.

Sorry, it's entirely the difficulty level. Moving up in difficulty is the only solution.

It's not just the GNP - if you've gotten good a playing the 'development' game (i.e. the no-military half), you're going to surpass the AI by Industrial/Modern era on basically any/all fronts - money, science, culture, Global Congress, etc. Then basically you dominate, and the game becomes too easy and becomes boring.

Immortal is harder because the AI gets more of an advantage, so the point at which you pass them is later, and it's harder to dominate on all fronts if you can at all (on deity it's basically impossible to dominate on all fronts - you have to focus on one).

Yes, it would be ideal if the AI was able to maintain pace instead of having to get a headstart, but that's years off in the future.

Your other other option is to stay on emperor but try different approaches - i.e. try opening with piety instead of tradition/liberty. Go for a cultural victory. Etc.

yea u r right. I think it is time to step up to immortal
And i should pay attention to my military more. I guess i got lucky i didnt get DOW-ed early ingame on emperor/king.

I think the problem is not that your GNP is too high, but the will always find a way of funneling it into something pointless. The event that springs to mind is one game that made me HATE spain. Basically, they came to my boarders by turn 16-ish, then insulted my economy(?) next turn, followed by a denunciation 10 turns later, and then killing my CS ally. Needless to say this made me mad enough to kill them ALL. But the funny thing is, when I capture all of the Spanish cities, they had only ONE partly built improvement! It seems they spent all their money on a slightly menacing army, that got out tech-ed rather quickly (on prince) But then again, that's Isabella for you :cowboy:

Top Bottom