Suggestion for next civ to play?

Aztecs, Arabia and Incas are also very fun to play

The last game I played before starting China was Arabia, and yes, it was very fun. I didn't go Domination that time and went for Science, which was rather satisfying. Still had to use my armies a lot though, just to keep Mongolia from killing all my CS allies. Then around the 1940s got involved in an overseas conflict propping up the Ottomans against the Songhai. I may post the entire story in the War Stories section in a few days.

After America, I may try the Aztecs. Those Jaguars would help out a lot in the beginning, I think. Do they keep their abilities when you upgrade them?

For me the most entertaining are those who have a uniques that really need focusing on, so Maya, Persia, Sweden, Indonesia, or even France are good choices.

@historyman101: So far as I know the Jaguars keep their promotions.

I love to play the Aztecs with raging barbarians turned on. And while I don't open Honor immediately, I do open it pretty quick so I can get the culture benefits.

Yes, they keep their promotions. Even if you hit "Advanced weaponry" from ruins, they still keep promotions as Spearmen.

Yes, they keep their promotions. Even if you hit "Advanced weaponry" from ruins, they still keep promotions as Spearmen.

Good to know. In that case, definitely going with the Aztecs after America. By that time I'll be on king, but I'll keep the number of AI down, just so I'm not overwhelmed.

Going back to my China campaign, currently (in 1280 AD, entered the Renaissance era) I've decided to just lay low and build up infrastructure and cities before fighting the next war. Maybe in that time the warmonger penalties will go away (not counting on it, though). I'm researching gunpowder, but want to know: since Jaguars keep their abilities upon upgrade, I assume the same holds for Chu-Ko-Nus? I just don't want to fight a war where they prove to be obsolete.

^^When you upgrade your Chu-Ko-Nus to Gatling Guns, they will keep their ability to shoot twice and their promotions. BUT--if they have a logistics promotion, they won't be able to shoot three times.

Update: I won my China game, finished in 1906 AD with a Domination Victory. Was a lot of fun, and now going to move on to America.

In addition to starting America, I'm also going to play on King. However, I'm wondering if I should do an "advanced start" to offset the starting benefits of the AI. I figured Classical Era would be enough, but what do you all think?

With america, you could build warriors that are later upgrade able to minutemen and then to riflemen and have them cared for since their gains happiness from bonus promotion from minutemen stays.

Try mayans, their unique buidling combines science and faith so right from the start you can become a scientific and religious power; both are gamelasting. Also with the Long Count, your first great person can be a scientist with which you build an academy to ensure continuous scientific dominance. You could tailor your religion to be scientific, economic, cultural or belicous.

The following is from civ5 wiki entry:

The Mayan civilization is one of the most underestimated civilizations in all of Civilization V. While the Maya don't strongly lean towards any victory path, they do have an increased incentive to go down the religious path. From there, coupled with the advantages of their unique ability, players can choose whichever path to victory they desire.

Poland is also really good. A free policy every era? To me that's OP.

China was a good choice. Amazing UU, amazing UB. UA is not too shabby either - whether you want to or not you'll almost always end up at war.

Poland is also really good. A free policy every era? To me that's OP.

I've wanted to try Poland for a while, just for a cultural victory. The policy each era seems like a boon for that kind of strategy.

What would you guys say about Ethiopia? I've thought of taking a try with them also for a cultural victory. They seem like a good civ to play on higher difficulties, since you get a benefit from fighting on the defensive.

China was a good choice. Amazing UU, amazing UB. UA is not too shabby either - whether you want to or not you'll almost always end up at war.

That was pretty much the case with me in my last game. The conquest order pretty much went like this: Zulu, Siam, Japan, Songhai, and finally Mongolia.

I've been having some trouble getting a good start as America. Must've played several times before quitting and restarting the game. The things I want to know are good civs to play against as America. I figured the Aztecs, you know, being native Americans and all, along with possibly the Iroquois. They'd be good allies. Also want to know what map type is America best suited for. Been bouncing between continents and pangaea, but I want to play this civ to the best of its ability.

One other thing I want to know is America is obviously suited for domination, but are other victory types possible? Cultural, Scientific?

America are a garbage tier civ tbqh and alliances don't work like that. Aztecs would probably Jaguar rush you like they would anyone else

America are a garbage tier civ tbqh and alliances don't work like that. Aztecs would probably Jaguar rush you like they would anyone else

They're not a powerhouse civ, since you have to wait a long time before utilizing UUs, but the UA comes in pretty handy when you are starting out and founding cities. Gives you an edge with meeting city states and exploring ruins.

But hey, I wanted to try it. I'll give it a few more gos before switching to another civ. Wanted to try the Ottomans on an archipelago map, along with Ethiopia....

They're not a powerhouse civ, since you have to wait a long time before utilizing UUs, but the UA comes in pretty handy when you are starting out and founding cities. Gives you an edge with meeting city states and exploring ruins.

But hey, I wanted to try it. I'll give it a few more gos before switching to another civ. Wanted to try the Ottomans on an archipelago map, along with Ethiopia....

I agree that America is a very mediocre civ. Not strong at all. I like to use them in MP for a challenge. If you want a good civ that gives you advantages I would steer clear of America. They are definitely not a "good" civ.

The most fun civs for me are Aztec, Maya, Etheopia, Shoshone. If you want a really different game try Venice. They take some getting used to.

If you want an easy game go for Babylon, Poland, Korea.

If you want to kill the world go for China, England, Attila, Arabia, Mongolia.

A really good all around civ that can do everything is Egypt. They can kill with chariot spam. Get wonders, get extra happiness and free temples for religion. They can go wide or tall and be aggressive or passive. Their spawns are usually very good too.

The chinese ranged unit that fires twice in one turn is AMAZING.

If you have two of them you can kill an enemy unit in one turn.

Makes it easy to drown your enemies in lakes of blood.

However, I'm wondering if I should do an "advanced start" to offset the starting benefits of the AI.
I feel like classical would be the one era advanced start isn't worth bothering with.

Also, negating the benefits the AI receives undermines the entire purpose of raising the difficulty setting.

And how are you going to get +3 sight Scouts while they're still super-cool if you don't start in the ancient era?

However, I'm wondering if I should do an "advanced start" to offset the starting benefits of the AI.

Just a note, while it does offset some(?) of the tech lead the AIs have, they still have more social policies than you. I'm not sure what else the AI has an advantage over you, though, besides happiness.

Top Bottom