The Dragon Age Mod Project

Doc, great work on these mods, I'm really enjoying all of them - even the religions and the soundtrack, really helps with immersion.

I have noticed some bugs though - the first is with the dalish - it seems that keepers don't naturally spawn from accumulated points, you only get them from free general/great person events.

I looked into it and solved it -- all Great General replacements must have PROMOTION_GREAT_GENERAL set in the Unit_FreePromotions table to spawn from earned XP. So just add this line above the Mythal Enaste promotion in the Dalish Civ5units.xml:
<Row>
<UnitType>UNIT_DALISH_KEEPER</UnitType>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_GREAT_GENERAL</PromotionType>
</Row>

That solved it for me:)
The other thing I noticed was when using the Dragon Age religions mod - the AI didn't seem able to start their own religion. Can't say it's a bug for sure as I only played for about 150 turns, but usually that's enough for them to found at least 1 religion. Will look into it some more.

Anyways, great work, keep it up! And I hope I helped with the Keeper comment.

all Great General replacements must have PROMOTION_GREAT_GENERAL set in the Unit_FreePromotions table to spawn from earned XP.

Huh. I did not know that. That's actually pretty important stuff; thanks for the heads up!

The other thing I noticed was when using the Dragon Age religions mod - the AI didn't seem able to start their own religion.

Yeah, I actually noticed that. I'm not sure what the cause is, but that's why that mod has been taken off of the steam workshop. At least until I can figure out how to fix it.

Hey, thanks! I can't say I really know a whole lot about Touhou (most of my knowledge comes from your mods, and the few Touhou metal bands I've stumbled across), but that does sound like an accurate fit. Both are heavily rooted in magic, and both have a dark reputation. Hey, you know what? I think I know what I'll be doing next time I'm in the mood to actually sit down and play a game of civ.

Well, since I needed to playtest the civ I'm currently working on, I started up a game today and threw both civs in. Sadly, while the Forest of Magic is doing pretty well, Tevinter is really struggling -- due largely to ending up next to Greece, and Alexander went and took some of their cities, including the capital. And then the Celts decided to take one of their remaining cities! Going to try to do what I can to keep them around in the game, which isn't TOO hard since everyone hates Alexander already. I'm not sure what they're like in Dragon Age, but I've got a soft spot for magical empires. XD

Well, since I needed to playtest the civ I'm currently working on, I started up a game today and threw both civs in. Sadly, while the Forest of Magic is doing pretty well, Tevinter is really struggling -- due largely to ending up next to Greece, and Alexander went and took some of their cities, including the capital. And then the Celts decided to take one of their remaining cities! Going to try to do what I can to keep them around in the game, which isn't TOO hard since everyone hates Alexander already. I'm not sure what they're like in Dragon Age, but I've got a soft spot for magical empires. XD

Yeah... I've actually noticed that the AI doesn't seem to do too well as them. For what ever reason, every time I test them, they seem to limit themselves to just two or three cities, regardless of what I do in the Leader flavours and biases.

In Dragon Age, they're supposed to be a super-powerful sprawling empire that at one point nearly controlled an entire continent. They're pretty much the Dragon Age equivalent of the Roman Empire... if the Romans were led by blood mages.

Yeah... I've actually noticed that the AI doesn't seem to do too well as them. For what ever reason, every time I test them, they seem to limit themselves to just two or three cities, regardless of what I do in the Leader flavours and biases.

In Dragon Age, they're supposed to be a super-powerful sprawling empire that at one point nearly controlled an entire continent. They're pretty much the Dragon Age equivalent of the Roman Empire... if the Romans were led by blood mages.

Hmmm... what difficulty levels and map sizes do you use? I'll admit, I nearly always play on Large or Huge maps, so I've seen some civs get extremely expansionist. (The Oni Clans, for example, have such a high Expansion flavor they'll go crazy settling cities. XD) I think in my game the Tevinter had settled at least five cities, but had lost all but two to conquest. That makes them roughly consistent with some of the other civs in the game.

A sprawling military magical empire does seem a lot of fun to try and play against... so I'll have to take a look at their flavors and code to see if there's anything I could suggest to see if they can get more like that :3

I also created an account to just voice my support. If I had enough coding knowledge to be helpful I would offer my assistance. I think this will be amazing when it's finished. You're amazing. Keep up the good work.

I had a few ideas that you might consider. I have no idea how difficult any of this would be to implement, and this isn't my mod so I don't blame you if you want to ignore all of it:

1) I think the Deep Roads should work similarly to airports, but on a delay for a few turns. Maybe even scale the delay with the distance they have to travel. It seems easier than making roads that are only accessible from certain place. However, if you want to go the roads route you could also have the entrances be improvements (exclusive to dwarves) instead of buildings. That would give more flexibility for building them, and would allow the player/AI to access them making them more true to DA universe and making them a much more interesting mechanic.

2) Depending on the time frame you want this to take place, maybe replace barbarian camps with rifts and barbarians with demons. I think the darkspawn are also a good choice, but I do like the idea of them being playable under an archdemon.

3) It would be great to see the Chasind incorporated somehow. That's all I have for this one

4) You could have the Wardens set as a civ, give them all of their cities at the start, but disable settlers? Or have them as a city-state and start them with settlers set where you want the cities founded, I use the YnAEM with TSL almost exclusively so it might be something he has coded in, but I have yet to see an AI move their first settler before founding a city.

5) Maybe have a toggle for the religions mod to set civ preferences. In case some people want change things up.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you are receptive to new ideas I will post them if/when I think of them.

Hmmm... what difficulty levels and map sizes do you use? I'll admit, I nearly always play on Large or Huge maps, so I've seen some civs get extremely expansionist. (The Oni Clans, for example, have such a high Expansion flavor they'll go crazy settling cities. XD) I think in my game the Tevinter had settled at least five cities, but had lost all but two to conquest. That makes them roughly consistent with some of the other civs in the game.

A sprawling military magical empire does seem a lot of fun to try and play against... so I'll have to take a look at their flavors and code to see if there's anything I could suggest to see if they can get more like that :3

Yeah, I almost exclusively play on huge as well. For difficulty, I usually play on King or Emperor, unless it's an AI only game, in which case, I put it on Diety to speed things up.

I also created an account to just voice my support. If I had enough coding knowledge to be helpful I would offer my assistance. I think this will be amazing when it's finished. You're amazing. Keep up the good work.

I had a few ideas that you might consider. I have no idea how difficult any of this would be to implement, and this isn't my mod so I don't blame you if you want to ignore all of it:

1) I think the Deep Roads should work similarly to airports, but on a delay for a few turns. Maybe even scale the delay with the distance they have to travel. It seems easier than making roads that are only accessible from certain place. However, if you want to go the roads route you could also have the entrances be improvements (exclusive to dwarves) instead of buildings. That would give more flexibility for building them, and would allow the player/AI to access them making them more true to DA universe and making them a much more interesting mechanic.

2) Depending on the time frame you want this to take place, maybe replace barbarian camps with rifts and barbarians with demons. I think the darkspawn are also a good choice, but I do like the idea of them being playable under an archdemon.

3) It would be great to see the Chasind incorporated somehow. That's all I have for this one

4) You could have the Wardens set as a civ, give them all of their cities at the start, but disable settlers? Or have them as a city-state and start them with settlers set where you want the cities founded, I use the YnAEM with TSL almost exclusively so it might be something he has coded in, but I have yet to see an AI move their first settler before founding a city.

5) Maybe have a toggle for the religions mod to set civ preferences. In case some people want change things up.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you are receptive to new ideas I will post them if/when I think of them.

Hey, thanks so much for the support! To address everything in order:

1 - The deep roads would make for a very cool feature, the only thing is, I'm planning to include Eluvians for Elvehnan, which are supposed to work very similarly.

2 - I was actually thinking of making 3 different factions of barbarians; Darkspawn, Demons, and Wildlife (dragons, wolves, giant spiders, etc.). I don't know if it is at all possible to change the barbarian camp art, but if it is, it would be very cool to make the spawn point for the demons into fade rifts.

3 - The Chasind will be a city-state.

4 - The Wardens will be a city-state, not a full civ.

5 - I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but if I am understanding you correctly, then I have no idea how that would be coded.

2 - I was actually thinking of making 3 different factions of barbarians; Darkspawn, Demons, and Wildlife (dragons, wolves, giant spiders, etc.). I don't know if it is at all possible to change the barbarian camp art, but if it is, it would be very cool to make the spawn point for the demons into fade rifts.

It is -- both my Post-Apocalyptic graphics mod and my Mushroom Kingdom graphics mod change barbarian camps. I'm not entirely sure what a fade rift would look like (the images I could find were a bit vague), but it might be fun to experiment with. At the very least, it might be possible to use the green flames from Nebby's braziers to imitate one...

It is -- both my Post-Apocalyptic graphics mod and my Mushroom Kingdom graphics mod change barbarian camps. I'm not entirely sure what a fade rift would look like (the images I could find were a bit vague), but it might be fun to experiment with. At the very least, it might be possible to use the green flames from Nebby's braziers to imitate one...

Oh wow, awesome! Yeah, the green flames from there could work. A fade rift looks like this:
Spoiler :

It seems quite a while since the last post of this thread... (But I know the Author is just busy)

Well I noticed when having the City of Kirkwall Civilization installed and finishing the Tradition SP Tree in-game that you're rewarded Undercities as a free building instead of the normal Aqueduct ones. But the Mushroom Kingdom Civilization (G&K) in the Steam Workshop suffers from the same issue as well (with the Warp Pipes, that also replaces the Aqueduct)

My idea to fix the problem is to probably code an update of the policy via Lua, like Vice Virtuoso did with the Iron Curtain Workaround for the MGR Armstrong Civ:

Spoiler :
Example:
local sUndercity = "BUILDING_UNDERCITY"
local iAqueduct = GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_AQUEDUCT
local iUndercity = GameInfoTypes.BUILDING_UNDERCITY

function TraditionFinisherWorkaroundNonKirkwall
local iTraditionFinisher = 0
for policy in GameInfo.Policies() do
if pPlayer:HasPolicy(policy.ID) then
if policy.PolicyType then
if policy.PolicyType == "POLICY_TRADITION_FINISHER" then
if pPlayer:GetCivilizationType() ~= GameInfoTypes.CIVILIZATION_KIRKWALL then
for policyInfo in GameInfo.Policies() do
if policyInfo.FreeBuilding == sUndercity then
if pPlayer:HasPolicy(policyInfo.ID) then
pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(iAqueduct, 1)
pCity:SetNumRealBuilding(iUndercity, 0)
return
end
end
end
end
end

GameEvents.SocialPolicyFinisher.Add(TraditionFinisherWorkaroundNonKirkwall)

This Code might be used to counteract the Free Undercity you get, but I'm not sure if this actually works out. Hope it might be worth a try.

Download it, and LOVE IT! there's just a few problems: the Leader screen for Orlais doesnt load, instead it shows the screen for another civilization. Also, the screens for Ferelden and Antiva look really bad and cartoonish... other than that, its perfect :)

Question: are you going to do also a scenario with the continent of Thedas, true city placement etc?

Great job ! :)

I dont know if you know this, but the barbarians evolved mod might work as a good basis for the darkspawn. It turns them into a playable civ thats always at war and causes encampments to periodically turn into cities. Also, vanilla barbarians will still spawn, so those could be used as the wildlife.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485249197

All in all, I really love these mods. The only thing I changed was changing the name of the Inquisitor from just "The Inquisitor" to"Inquisitor Trevelyan," which just makes the grammer of certain game text work nicer.

Top Bottom