So long CiV

this post has me seriously considering getting EU4. I won't stop CiV, but I do not have time for two games, I think. I really like the idea of a "better diplomacy game," though.
sooo tempted....

those of you considering EU4, know this: you will NOT be getting any technology flavor of that game. at all. the technology that you actually get are for like a few buildings to build in each of your provinces, and just different flavors of Infantry, Calvary, Cannon, Transport Ships, Warships. and that's it. this is one thing where Civ obviously trounces the EU series.

Note that the time span of EU4 is 1444 through 1821, so a much more limited tech path should surprise no one.

I played the EUIV demo for about 10-20 hours in November. I had tried Hearts of Iron 3 before, but as much as I desperately wanted to like that game, it was SO DRY that I had to quit. Watching the battles be fought (...boxes "fighting") felt like watching my calculator crunch numbers then asking me to believe that those numbers were "my soldiers." Just not enough meat on the bone.

That in mind, I was much more open to EUIV due to it looking more like a game and less like crinkled newspaper. I am very much intrigued by the idea of "intelligent diplomacy" which honestly no game has ever given me. I was VERY close to buying it but didn't, I just don't know if it can draw me in as much as Civ can. Very tempted by the idea of realism though. If the diplomacy is well-done, if playing peacefully is at least as effective as just taking everything you want, and if the game makes you feel like an 18th century monarch, then I'm in.

sorry man but no you cannot just skate a peaceful game in EU4. you have to actually kinda master Casus Belli system to see what provinces you can take through wars without diplomatic repercussions. or be prepared to withstand the repercussions of initiating a war without a CB. and be very aware the alliance that has formed against you.

unlike CK2 (ungodly complicated game) you don't have to worry too much about which nation you're royally married to, yet this concept is still a key to sidestepping your way through "free" wars.

essentially, EU4 is about expanding, and in fact if you can't do so in so much amount of time you might as well quit that game.

essentially, EU4 is about expanding, and in fact if you can't do so in so much amount of time you might as well quit that game.

I'm in the midst of a Portugal play through and I've managed to keep my warfare to a very low level thus far. My goal is to grow through colonization and trade, while remaining best buds with Castille (future Spain) to watch my back in Europe. The game has a pretty advanced economic model that I find melds very well with its diplomacy.

usually as Portugal your options are going to be to dominate North Africa (through whatever means) or at least rush to colonize the west/south coast of Africa, or instead rush to South America. sometimes (rarely do not count on it) you get lucky and "future spain" might screw up (maybe you can help this along) and you can actually have a real hand in land territory in Europe proper.

For you who think Paradox games aren't beginner friendly (it's true), it's mainly because they are prioritizing to please a certain demographics group who are already familiar and in love with the series. Paradox isn't really trying to get newer players to play this game, which sorta explain the broken tutorial etc.

Source:http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1p272v/we_are_the_independent_publisher_developer/

I have tried CK2 and EU4, both are great games and very different to Civ5. CK2 feels like an RPG where you can write an alternate history of the earth, while Civ is more like an empire building game set in different world with historical civilization. And yes, those Paradox games are really hard to get into. I'm about ~100 hours into CK2 and still understand very little about the game mechanics (my vassals, y u no like me :cry::cry:)

Eu4 is much better much more supported and much more fun. The devrlopers are hands on and the have patches and hot fixes on a schedule. I'm still waitingb the a civ 5 fpatch that fixes the lousy ai. Now don't get me wrong I do love civ 5 and I a lot of hours into civ but I just don't see firaxis putting in the effort to fix it.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

when you're talking CK2 (parallel to EU) it's like a stupidly complicated Royal Family game where 1 damn wrong marriage you did 100 years ago could literally cost you like the whole game.

it's like a genealogy game, with war. and your own type of ascension to the throne is THE ENTIRE GAME in CK2.

i like how most of your brothers/sisters/daughters/sons-in-law end in prison or murdered :lol:

I played over 200 hours Ck2 so far, and I can tell every game developed into a " game of thrones" scenario, the only things missing are the dragons. lol

Top Bottom