Renderer Error

You should be able to go into the Control Panel and under "remove or change software" you will find a few Nvidea software titles. Delete all of these. Reboot the computer. Either have the driver dowloaded before or after this process. 296.10 seems the one before May. Just run the driver and it will re-install every thing.

Removed driver and restarted. Windows automatically downloaded the drivers, but thankfully it is an older version. (I had wanted to install 296 which was the one earlier from the latest drivers)

Windows installed 285.62

I tried it out with 285 and yep, got the Render Error message just now when pacal tried to talk to me IBT

So it is not the driver. It may be the card.

The latest patch has been clearing up some errors. Have you tried varifying the local cache several times until the "all files varified successfully" message after all this?

Wait, did it load it generically? Look under the remove software in the control panel and see if the nvidea software is back. If it is not then manually install the driver you downloaded. If they are there, you may still try loading it manually, due to the fact that windows has you stuck by auto loading.

@timtofly thanks for your interest in helping me with this. Yes windows reloaded the nvidia drivers after I unsintalled my latest drivers and rebooted as it recommended. I got my nvidia CP back and could check the version. Windows installed an older version from late 2011. It's actually not even available for download on nvidia's legacy/beta driver list. Although Im sure I could find it with third party hosts.

That said, it still crashed with a render error when game tried to transition from map to leader IBT even with those drivers.

So I took Dennis Shirk's advice and turned down the leader and texture settings to low.

It stopped crashing and I was able to finish my game with no render errors. Still playing on the older 285 driver.

Maybe Firaxis has an idea on what might be causing it.

Leaders on low just look really weird. Their BG is really washed out and they look like weathermen standing infront of a bluescreen. Lighting is all off. I can live with low texture detail, it looks about the same, but I hope they can fix it so I can play normally again.

I'm bumping up leaders up to medium but leaving texture detail on low and playing another full game tomorrow to see if it gives me render error in the late game again.

-> do you have another suitable graphics card available? Switching them for testing might be an idea.

I think that it is more than likely the whole leader-scene-html-coding in the game. At this point one can try a card if they have one, but I would not go out and buy one until Firaxis gets things squared away.

Now if someone has a lower end card, they can upgrade, for some issues, and maybe they will start getting different issues (like above) instead.

Guys I got a fix from KFA2 support - Change the power management mode in the Nvidia settings to Prefer Maximum Performance.

This completely fixed the issue and my drivers arent crashing anymore in any game.

I already tried all 3 of the latest drivers, 304.48 beta, 301.42 and 301.34, only after I installed G+Ks this problem started happening gradually more and more until it broke all my games.

Currently I'm running 301.34 drivers and changed to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' and this has fixed it in all my games. The graphic driver was previously crashing everytime GPU boost lowered the clocks, I discovered this from playing Guild Wars as this was the only game that temporarily locked up and then resumed working again instead of just crashing and using Afterburner monitoring graphs:

1) When the GPU + Memory would sharply underclock due to GPU boost, I would get significantly long lag spikes with a frozen screen and occasionally a black screen within 5 minutes of loading the game due to the 'driver stopped responding' crash, after which the game would resume working.
2) After the driver started working again, the clocks would stay stuck permanently at their low settings of around 324 Mhz for both the GPU + Memory.
3) All other games would simply crash when the driver stopped responding.

I sent this info to KFA2 support and was going to add it to the Nvidia forums too but they are down atm, and I dont feel like typing out a full email to Nvidia support instead of just posting the fix into current threads.

I was stressing the card at its previous maximum overclocks of 1240 / 7200 Mhz and no more crashes in Heaven, Civ V or Guild Wars so far, so all looks fine.

Good news for you there bhavv :)

A bit sad though that you have had to resort to a fix which means that no power management type savings will work on your card and thus it will be running at full whack regardless of the 3D application needing it or not. In 2D it would or should be fine. I would not know how good that would be for the card long term and I'm not sure if I would be happy with that type of result.

My Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II cycles up and down fine when I have monitored it whilst playing Civ V and or a Total War type game and I'm sure that is how it is meant to be.

It gives me an impression, which I could be totally wrong, that they have offered a solution to cover a fault with how that card is working, or in this case how it is not working.

It seems a little like disabling the turbo feature of my 3570k and having it run at 4.4Ghz all the time rather than vary all the way down to 1.6Ghz when it is not needed at those speeds, it would be just wrong.

Yes, Nvidia control panel "manage 3D settings".

Xink do not worry about "prefer maximum performance". The GPU still throttles down when the game is not playing, it's just that it does not throttle down while the game is playing which is good in theory.

Cheers

I switched this and still have the same error. dxdiag attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    40.9 KB · Views: 109
Here are my Nvidia settings for a 9600MGT 512MB and I have no troubles any more as yet. Things were fine before the last vanilla update, but since then I too have needed to play with 3D settings in GnK. I do have multithreading enabled as per stock. I am on the 301.4 nvidia drivers.

Note that as well as these external 3D settings, I also have all internal game settings on lowest except for leader head and water rendering which are on medium, as well as using DirectX9. The game runs well on these settings for a lower end system that is mine and the graphic quality drop is not important. Occasionally the leader head animations sudden start running slowly, but have not seen that problem for a while.

Cheers

As far as I can tell, this problem will be unique to GTX 670 /680s only, as its only these cards that use the GPU boost feature. And installing / running Civ V G+Ks is completely destroying the GPU boost on a lot of these cards - self destructive Nvidia drivers strike again.

Bah, and I lost my godly Dido map with a 5 seafood capital after formatting my C drive :(

Yes, Nvidia control panel "manage 3D settings".

Xink do not worry about "prefer maximum performance". The GPU still throttles down when the game is not playing, it's just that it does not throttle down while the game is playing which is good in theory.

Cheers

I know, I noted that in my reply, Thanks :)

A pity you can't set it to do this for each application, as a game profile. When I play games like Total War there are long periods on the campaign map when not much happens, there are similar situations in Civ V. In those less than intensive graphical situations you can see this when you monitor your GPU usage through something like Afterburner. I would not like to see my GPU being forced to run at 100% all of the time during gameplay, if I have understood what it does.

Thankfully my Asus 670 runs cool and it is very quiet but that is partially down to allowing it to function as it is designed to do.

It was a toss up when I spent my money on which 670 I would get and it was between the KFA 2 EX OC (Sparkle by any other name), the Gigabyte or the Asus. I am glad that I went with the Asus.

Best of luck to you bhavv I really do not want to a dampener on what you have achieved and I am glad for you that it is a working solution. Hopefully it could also help others if they too have such issues.

But....

To test the above, and keep the dynamic function of the card, just disable the Kepler boost by reducing the GPU offset value in something like EVGA Precision X. Once that is achieved it can be negated as the problem whilst keeping the "normal" functionality of the card. This could test at least if the issue was down to that cards implementation of the Kepler boost. If that is how it works.

just posted another topic, then saw this - I get the same error message except:

1. Got an AMD card, not NVidia, and
2. Don't have G&K.

just posted another topic, then saw this - I get the same error message except:

1. Got an AMD card, not NVidia, and
2. Don't have G&K.

You still may want to check and see if there is any power managment in the drivers. There was also a patch that came out a few days before G&K that suposedly was in preparation. It if anything caused more "bugginess" that G&K itself. G&K is just an elaborate DLC, the vanilla game is still pretty much in control.

Top Bottom