choosing the right civ to attack

eyal323

Chieftain
let's say I have the units I need to get to war

1. should I attack the weakest CIV / The closest to my border / the stronger ( to slow them down ) ?

2. if I see few units near the city I want to attack, should I focus first on the units or on the city ?

Thanks

Eyal

Attack the civ that has well-placed cities and who is doing too well in matters other than military. For example, if they're getting all the cool ancient and classical wonders...

1) depends on the time. in the beginning the neighbour with the best cities and the best approachability (cities on flatland, for example, make it a lot easier etc).
Later on the strongest to avoid a runaway.

2) Its best to kill units outside of the city reach to avoid bombardment. I usually kill units first as the bombardment can be calculated (more or less), but additional damage could kill your units before you can cycle them

In my current game as Poland, I had a very similar quandary. My initial thought was to attack Byzantium. They had plopped their second city right on my capital's border, stealing the copper resource in the process. After a brief war with them earlier (I just stole a worker and was not ready to really fight), I had built my infrastructure up to where I was looking to take the land I felt was mine to begin with. But then England beat me to the Great Library and another wonder I am forgetting. They did not have longbows yet and London had both wonders. I squeezed Lodz next to London so I could get the Altitude Training from Mt Kilamanjaro in every unit produced there. Had a sweet view of London and its total lack of units....hmmm....way too tempting. Theodora was afraid of me, kept telling me how wise I was and then offered a DOF. Which I took, knowing that eventually, she would hate me regardless of what I did to ensure friendship, so make it count while it lasted. Attacked England. Took London and York. Left her with Hastings and Nottingham. After Theodora beat me to Borodbhur (sp), I vented my rage on her and took the offensive Adrianople and Constantinople. Also go tired of Ramesses wonder hoarding. So now Thebes is mine. I had planned to go for a culture win....not sure that would be the best route now or not. I do have a lot of wonders that were built for me...except Notre Dame. I was 1 turn away when someone on the other continent built it. Sorry, this doesn't seem to have much of a point, but I am sympathizing over the question on who to attack....

In my current game as Poland, I had a very similar quandary. My initial thought was to attack Byzantium. They had plopped their second city right on my capital's border, stealing the copper resource in the process. After a brief war with them earlier (I just stole a worker and was not ready to really fight), I had built my infrastructure up to where I was looking to take the land I felt was mine to begin with. But then England beat me to the Great Library and another wonder I am forgetting. They did not have longbows yet and London had both wonders. I squeezed Lodz next to London so I could get the Altitude Training from Mt Kilamanjaro in every unit produced there. Had a sweet view of London and its total lack of units....hmmm....way too tempting. Theodora was afraid of me, kept telling me how wise I was and then offered a DOF. Which I took, knowing that eventually, she would hate me regardless of what I did to ensure friendship, so make it count while it lasted. Attacked England. Took London and York. Left her with Hastings and Nottingham. After Theodora beat me to Borodbhur (sp), I vented my rage on her and took the offensive Adrianople and Constantinople. Also go tired of Ramesses wonder hoarding. So now Thebes is mine. I had planned to go for a culture win....not sure that would be the best route now or not. I do have a lot of wonders that were built for me...except Notre Dame. I was 1 turn away when someone on the other continent built it. Sorry, this doesn't seem to have much of a point, but I am sympathizing over the question on who to attack....

Sounds like your answer is attack EVERYONE. :p

Sounds like your answer is attack EVERYONE. :p

ha! pretty much in that case! I would have preferred to leave Egypt alone. They were not near my lands, but they had so many wonders that I thought would help my culture game, that I had to do it. Was afraid it would be impossible to beat the culture Egypt was going to be putting out. England worried me as I was afraid they would be too far ahead in science and thus military and she hated me fairly early because of my faux war. That was pre-emptive in my opinion. Byzantium had to go because we were too close and there was no more room for either one to expand if we wanted to.

Top Bottom