England, my England

Lambert Simnel

One across
Large screens were erected in numerous locations around England to allow people to watch the World Cup in the open air. However, some of these are now being stopped from broadcasting following violence during the England - Paraguay game. In particular, beer bottles were thrown in Liverpool, and riot police had to be called in to keep order. In Canary Wharf in London, two rival sets of fans started throwing bottles, cans and beer at each other during the second half.

Let's be clear here. The "rival" sets of fans at Canary Wharf were West Ham fans and Millwall fans. Both sets were supporting England. There were no Paraguayan supporters at any of these events (frankly, you'd have to have a death wish to support England's opponents at an open air venue such as these).

Locally, in Colchester, a fight broke out between England supporters after the game in the local MacDonalds and it had to be closed while the police were brought in. There was also a series of minor disorder offences.

What is it with the white English male ? This was the first group game in a relatively easy group, there were no rival supporters present, and England won.

God knows what will happen if England lose a game....

Well, if you are one of the 3000 thugs and a hooligans who had their passport taken away from them and had to report to a police station on every England match day to show you are still in the country, where else would you go for a bit of trouble? ;)

Better a bit if trouble here than in Germany I suppose.

But I agree with your overall sentiment – it is very depressing to hear about things like this.

On the plus side, I believe 8 of the 10 screens will remain open.

I'm little bit worried about the Germany vs. Poland match today in Dortmund. Wouldn't be too surprised if we'd see lots of hooligans fighting there this night.

I also heard a pretty decent theory that since we've sent over a lot of our police who are more trained in dealing with these situations to Germany in order to help out, the less experienced police are all that are left. We've also left behind the hooligans as well.

From what I'm hearing though, the English fans in Germany are being congratulated on good behaviour. It's just a shame a few people feel the need to strike out and let down an entire nation.

That's a sad tale Lambert, although sadly typical of those two clubs' fan base.

Fortunately, I haven't seen any of this at the open air screens in Cambridge. In fact, I don't think I would have heard about this otherwise. And maybe that's a good thing, you know, that we "ground" all the dangerous idiots, allowing them only to misbehave at home where the international eye cannot see them as easily.

England badly needs to deal with these folk and to shirk off the reputation we have. I'm glad that reports coming back from Germany seem to help out here.

PS. Sven and his negative, protectionist type strategies will lose us the important matches against good teams. Mark my words :old:

Rambuchan said:
PS. Sven and his negative, protectionist type strategies will lose us the important matches against good teams. Mark my words :old:

And Wayne Rooney's head will explode with the amount of pressure he's under. Mark my words!

Either that or in the first five minutes of being brought on he'll be tackled in a certain vulnerable spot. :p

I don't think its worthwhile playing him in the group games since if we can't beat Trinidad and Tobago without Rooney then we don't deserve to get past the group stage.

so wheres everyone watching the game tomorrow?

think im going down the pub after my physics exam.

:(

Gonna be on a train at 5pm ....

Sheesh, that's another sorry tale there col. What's with this thread? :lol:

I'll be watching the game at work and I fully intend to blitz all that needs to be done so I can watch with a clear conscience. We're gonna hammer them! :hammer:

This thread should be closed or moved to World Cup General talk.

If we start to create threads about violence in the frame of WC giant screens in our own country, we will end with 32 threads.

Rambuchan said:
No need to take your footballing woes out on us now Marla :p
Sorry Rambuchan, I was just frustrated about the crap Rik has said in another thread about France supposedly looking for bad excuses in order to explain the draw against Switzerland.

That's typically the kind of anti-French crap we can expect from a Dutch and I was sad Rik wasn't able to see beyond that.

Marla_Singer said:
Sorry Rambuchan, I was just frustrated about the crap Rik has said in another thread about France supposedly looking for bad excuses in order to explain the draw against Switzerland.

That's typically the kind of anti-French crap we can expect from a Dutch and I was sad Rik wasn't able to see beyond that.
:eek:
Don't take general remarks as personal remarks, my dear Marla. You are resembling an American girl. As soon as something bad is said about your nation you label it anti-French.

England used to be feared in Continental Europe for their hooligans. That role has been taken over by the Polish supporters.

Rik: About the Polish hooligans, a friend of mine was mentioning reports he read (in the Guardian) about a major "organised collision" (his words) between German and Polish fans prior to last night's game. I was told that the report detailed a gathering of about 200 fans from each side in some German forest. According to the report he had read, they brought their own weapons and even their own doctors. It all reminded me of an old friend of mine who was into street fighting. But I can't find that report anywhere and it was a pretty drunken bbq.

Are you or anyone else able to confirm?

Marla: Don't worry yourself, I was only fooling around and dishing out some playful banter. I'm not aware of any other discussions that have been going on. I was just poking some harmless fun at you. But really, you have nothing to worry about. I hate the French for who they are, not because they are crap at football. :p <<<< That was a joke too!!

I think I'll be going to the same place as last time. On the plus side its cloudy today so the ball may be visible.

Dell19 said:
I think I'll be going to the same place as last time. On the plus side its cloudy today so the ball may be visible.
Here is the weather forecast for Nurnberg :

Well, the weather is still hot but it should be more bearable than last game against Paraguay.

Rambuchan said:
Rik: About the Polish hooligans, a friend of mine was mentioning reports he read (in the Guardian) about a major "organised collision" (his words) between German and Polish fans prior to last night's game. I was told that the report detailed a gathering of about 200 fans from each side in some German forest. According to the report he had read, they brought their own weapons and even their own doctors. It all reminded me of an old friend of mine who was into street fighting. But I can't find that report anywhere and it was a pretty drunken bbq.

Are you or anyone else able to confirm?

I've heard something along these lines as well. I remember that this was in the German media once, even though it's been some time, several months I guess, but I'm not quite sure.
Anyway, as far as I can tell the Poles' hooligans kicked the German hooligans ass.

BCLG100 said:
so wheres everyone watching the game tomorrow?

I'm going to slack of early and watch it at home (32" plasma screen :D).

The only thing worse than watching an England match in an Irish pub is watching an England-Ireland match in an Irish pub.

Top Bottom