The "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of Video Games

dragonprobably

The Poster Formerly Known as MartinLuther
Alright guys, let me explain to you what that title means. Have you ever watched a movie that was so bad you laughed at how bad it was. This is what I call "The 'Plan 9' Effect." Something so bad, it's good. My question for you is what is the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of Video Games.

I know in Yahtzee's review of Ride to Hell: Retribution, he called the game "Our 'Plan 9'." While I agree this game is so bad, it's good, I wouldn't say it's our "Plan 9." I only say this because when you play it with a friend, it becomes funny. However, when you play it alone, it becomes very awkward.

Personally, I'd say Hong Kong 97 is the "Plan 9" of Video Games. When you first see this game, you are going to think it's fake. I want you to put your skepticism aside because it totally is real. The game was an unlicensed SNES game that has gained a cult following through the power of emulators. But what makes the game so funny is just how it appears. When you start the game, you're given a selection of languages to choose from. You are then treated to slideshow that lets you know the story which (summarized) is, "China is invading Hong Kong, the British Government has hired you, Bruce Lee's relative Chin, to stop the Chinese by killing every Chinese person alive. Also China has a secret project." This is accompanied by really low-res copy-and-paste collages of News Photos. Also, during the intro, there is the only instance of an obscenity in a SNES game. You are then dropped into the game, first thing you notice is that the background of the game is a random Chinese propaganda poster tinted blue. Next thing you'll notice is that the top of the screen is raining Chinese men faster than a Chinese version of the Weather Girls. You run across the stage at rapid speeds shooting pellets at people who explode once you kill them. They then drop either discs (which kill you) or a syringe (which makes you both invincible and invisible.) Then after a while you meet the boss, the disembodied head of a former Chinese ruler. To add more salt to the wound you have the same 5 second loop of a Chinese song repeat over and over and over and over and over until your brain bleed internally.

Is it ok to post the Plan 9 in notion to a expansion to a good game?

Well this may be a Plan 9 of level intros...

Link to video.

WE ARE THE SPEHSS MAHRENS! WE ARE THE EMPRAH'S FUREH!

Alright guys, let me explain to you what that title means. Have you ever watched a movie that was so bad you laughed at how bad it was. This is what I call "The 'Plan 9' Effect." Something so bad, it's good. My question for you is what is the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of Video Games.

I know in Yahtzee's review of Ride to Hell: Retribution, he called the game "Our 'Plan 9'." While I agree this game is so bad, it's good, I wouldn't say it's our "Plan 9." I only say this because when you play it with a friend, it becomes funny. However, when you play it alone, it becomes very awkward.

Personally, I'd say Hong Kong 97 is the "Plan 9" of Video Games. When you first see this game, you are going to think it's fake. I want you to put your skepticism aside because it totally is real. The game was an unlicensed SNES game that has gained a cult following through the power of emulators. But what makes the game so funny is just how it appears. When you start the game, you're given a selection of languages to choose from. You are then treated to slideshow that lets you know the story which (summarized) is, "China is invading Hong Kong, the British Government has hired you, Bruce Lee's relative Chin, to stop the Chinese by killing every Chinese person alive. Also China has a secret project." This is accompanied by really low-res copy-and-paste collages of News Photos. Also, during the intro, there is the only instance of an obscenity in a SNES game. You are then dropped into the game, first thing you notice is that the background of the game is a random Chinese propaganda poster tinted blue. Next thing you'll notice is that the top of the screen is raining Chinese men faster than a Chinese version of the Weather Girls. You run across the stage at rapid speeds shooting pellets at people who explode once you kill them. They then drop either discs (which kill you) or a syringe (which makes you both invincible and invisible.) Then after a while you meet the boss, the disembodied head of a former Chinese ruler. To add more salt to the wound you have the same 5 second loop of a Chinese song repeat over and over and over and over and over until your brain bleed internally.
:dubious: ET is credited for being the worst ever but this one stays ahead.

Not in the same league obviously but of all games i have played along last years, the worst one may be X:Rebirth.

I think you have the wrong definition of "Plan 9". You just described why Plan 9 is a cult classic. It is an incredibly bad movie that, with friends, is actually pretty funny.

Cult classics are inherently supposed to be enjoyed with others. Birdemic and the Room are 100% more funny with friends than solo.

And for that reason, Shaq Fu is clearly the Plan 9 of gaming.

Most bad games are only enjoyable to watch someone else suffer through playing them because playing them yourself isn't actually fun. I can't think of any examples of games that are still playable while being bad, but they are out there. EDIT: Two Worlds 1 would be one of those, horrible, horrible voice acting that is so bad its funny (for some people anyway).

Check Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing on youtube, its metacritic score is only 8, the lowest score of any game.

From Wikipedia:
The packaging of Big Rigs states that the main objective of the game is to race a semi-trailer truck (known colloquially as a "Big Rig") to safety in order to deliver illegal cargo being carried by the vessel, while avoiding the local police force. In actuality, there are no police in the game, no such objectives are presented within the game itself and there is no load attached to the truck.[1] Much of the game instead centers on the player racing their truck against fellow drivers to the finish line; however, in the earlier versions the player's computer-controlled opponent vehicles have no AI and never move from the starting position. In a later version, the computer-controlled opponent will race around the track, but will stop just before crossing the finish line. The timer in the game is merely aesthetic and has no limit on the gameplay. In addition, due to a lack of collision detection, there are no obstacles to navigate within the game, and the player is able to phase through environments and leave the game altogether.

Wait a minute; are we talking about "works so bad they are hilarious" or cult classics? There can be a grand difference.

...and one can find lone laughs when playing a work so bad it is hilarious.

Sort of. it isn't trying to be a bad game, its just using things that would normally be considered bad in a game in a way that is fun and humourous. Things that are so bad they're funny are generally not intentionally trying for that status.

Sort of. it isn't trying to be a bad game, its just using things that would normally be considered bad in a game in a way that is fun and humourous. Things that are so bad they're funny are generally not intentionally trying for that status.

exactly. a "plan 9 from outer space" or maybe "mandos, hand of fate" sort of game would have to be sincerely trying to create an EPIC game, but end up being badly funny but overall a bad game in every way.

Peter Molyneux's games are simlilar to the spirit of "plan 9"? but that's only because he hypes up everything, and his game turn out to be mediocre or just disappointing but NOT exactly bad.

Link to video.

What about this?

The other day I realized the perfect example for this thread but I can't for the life of me recollect my realization.

Link to video.

"We couldn't get past the part where you bomb the cafeteria."

I don't blame you. Took me, like, forever to figure out what I was supposed to be doing there.

Top Bottom