Need tips

Xqbal

Chieftain
Hello guys,

I'm looking for some people to help a noob player ( me ) to play this game with strategy and not like I do actually :lol:

If some players have time to lose with me, I will be grateful to speak with you over voice communications or here.

My main language is French, but I can speak English like a French :crazyeye:

Thanks for your help

( steamname : xqbal )

There's tons of info out there on how to play with focus. Tips like National College early, tech for Education and Renaissance straightaway. Once you hit Renaissance, open Rationalism and take Secularism and Free Thought. Having a strong science game makes any victory condition easier and more efficient.

I recently released a video that shows a VERY strong start. I narrate my considerations as I go. Maybe you'd like to check it out for ideas: https://youtu.be/Udsy5lU2nnw

I also released a continuation of that game to demonstrate achieving a cultural victory without using world wonders. The game I recorded ended up being a very focused one (one of my best ever possibly). I released it as two versions though. A short one for people that just wanted to see the concepts involved ( https://youtu.be/osPK8siYDSg ) and a long one for people looking to learn who want to hear about the thought processes I engaged in during key points in the game ( https://youtu.be/ItlbA3FXis4 ).

Hello Dushku,

Thanks for your answer, yeah I already checked many videos on the forum, people are really great there.

My actual biggest problem is mid/late game, I never know what and when to do something :)

Probably I miss some experience

I've been playing for about six months and I'm just starting to learn how to take advantages and parlay them into sealing a victory. This is partially because I spent so much time studying the early game at first that my understanding of mid-late game was gimped for a bit. It's one of those things that comes in time with experience. The game is deep and multi-faceted enough that one could even argue that there's no right way to do anything. Except that science brings everything else, so science is what keeps you competitive.

I've been playing for about six months and I'm just starting to learn how to take advantages and parlay them into sealing a victory. This is partially because I spent so much time studying the early game at first that my understanding of mid-late game was gimped for a bit. It's one of those things that comes in time with experience. The game is deep and multi-faceted enough that one could even argue that there's no right way to do anything. Except that science brings everything else, so science is what keeps you competitive.

There is definitely a right way to do most things in this game. There are openings and build orders that are optimal for certain situations. For example: 4 city tradition with trade routes sending food to your cap is considered optimal.

You want your NC no later than turn 70 in most cases. Making early wonders is not advisable. Only make wonders when you have nothing better to do so a loss doesn't hurt you.

After tradition is filled out open patronage until you can open rationalism. Rationalism is OP and should be adopted ASAP.

The best opening is scout, scout, shrine, settler, settler, settler. With the scouts finding ruins and stealing workers while you make settlers.

The best opening is scout, scout, shrine, settler, settler, settler. With the scouts finding ruins and stealing workers while you make settlers.

That's a good opening but then you would have too much land. Why would you annoy city states and civilizations and build your own workers instead?

There's no reason not to steal workers unless you are a total peacemonger. There's a lot of hammers saved. Of course there are certain AI civs that I wouldn't recommend stealing workers from as they don't make peace but you'll know from experience.

No such thing as too much land if you have the happiness for it. Also, the annoyance to civs is negligible and to CSs is easily overcome. I'm a total peacemonger and I steal as many workers as I can without reaping permanent repercussions, such as warring CSs more than once.

The real problem is that CraigMak was talking about how to compete on Deity. I don't think our friend here is quite there yet. And if you're not on Deity, you're not going to be getting stolen workers fast enough. Which means I'd revise his post to say NC on turn 80-100 and having a hard built Worker BEFORE your first Settler unless you found Uluru or something. You need a worker at home to develop your happiness and make your tiles better to get those Settlers our more efficiently.

Hey X,

There's currently a thread about learning Immortal with Babylon. That's a pretty decent place to start if you don't want to go looking through the Strategy guides.

I encourage you to "learn" basics, but also don't get too rigid. There's no reason to have a set build order ever in this game. You can be a brilliant player and do all sorts of things. But, some basics do need to be learned :).

Good luck!

I guess you could steal a few workers and recover others from a barbarian encampment. Stealing workers I'd fine but that doesn't mean that you have to stop building your own workers and continue to depend on other worker providing sources such as city states and not only your own civilization.

Hello,

Thanks you all for your help.

I saw and read many many guides, but Im still bad at knowing what and when to do thing.

And I got a big problem about choosing the cities locations. And when I did my choose, I dont know what to do in this city. Should I specialize, should I do everything in ?

My mid/late game is horrible. I just do everything because I do not know what to do.

Hello,

I saw and read many many guides, but Im still bad at knowing what and when to do thing.

And I got a big problem about choosing the cities locations. And when I did my choose, I dont know what to do in this city. Should I specialize, should I do everything in ?

My mid/late game is horrible. I just do everything because I do not know what to do.

City locations - always look for a new luxury you do not have. This will increase your happy faces. Hills to mine, grasslands next to river are importent too. Other resources like horses, cattle, stone etc all add value. Two coast cities are great because they can send food cargo ships to each other and grow faster.

Science is importent at all stages of the game. You will see the term 'bee-line' used often here. It means choosing a tech far in advance (usually something to increase science). So you ingore tech that are less importent and aim for Education to build universities, Plastics for research Labs etc. Oh - and early on you want your National College built as soon as possible so after researching basic luxury techs for your workers to build on do a mini bee-line to Philosophy.

Later you need to have a clear understanding how to reach the victory condition you choose. There are discussions and guides here to help you or just start a new thread about something you don't understand.

Actually I can add thats my biggest questions are :

What to do with the second and third cities ?

Focus on hammer ? Yes I tried but my food was bad and the city had difficult to grow up.

I tried to focus on Gold with my third city, but his production was bad.

Actually my biggest problem is this. I dont really know what to do at mid/late game with my 3 cities.

Focus on food almost all the time. If you need an importent building quickly change focus to production but don't forget to change it back to food when it is finished. Growing your cities means more science and production.

Do not focus on gold. Sell your extra luxuries to other civs to make money.

Always have at least one worker for each city. One or two extras early on is even better. Get the farms built (especiallly next to river or lake), luxuries developed etc.

Understand how you win the different victories.

Some National Wonders are very importent. They need a certain building in each of your cities before you can build them. For example National College needs a library in each city, Ironworks need a workshop in each city. You might need to buy the building in the slowest city - this is often done for the National College as production is slow early on.

Well first you'll want them to build a Library so you can build a National College. Then a University once you hit Education. Then a Workshop to improve production. And so on. Fill in the gaps with Shrines, Temples, Workers, military, trade routes, and less important buildings like Markets and Amphitheaters. If a city has improved Stone or Marble and wasn't settled on plains, build a Stone Works to increase happiness and production. If a city has a few Cattle/Sheep/Horses, build a Stable to increase production. Or a Forge if it has a few Iron sources.

Another thing to consider is national wonders. In my most recent game, I had my expands build Libraries for NC, Temples for Grand Temple, Workshops for Ironworks, Amphitheaters and Opera Houses for Hermitage. And so on.

Thanks you all for your fedbacks, your informations are really nice :)

What is the best choice about the slots for the second and third cities ?

Luxury you dont already have is important, I got it. More ressources too. But what about the environement ( hill, forest etc ... ). What the best choices about this ? What should I look about ?

I read a lot of things about Cities specialization because of the % of advantages ( like +30% production ). How do I optimize this ?

Oh yeah, what tiles to improve in first ? Luxury ? after ?

Sorry for all this questions :) and thanks in advance everyone.

Luxury you dont already have is important, I got it.

Getting a monopoly on lux can be helpful too.

But what about the environment (hill, forest etc ... ). What the best choices about this?

Forest are nice for the early chops, but usually there is not much you can do about it. I really like putting expos on hills, especially the last one you settle before NC. Hill is basically +1 hammer, no downside other than not being able to build a windmill later. Quite a nice buff! On river and on mountain are both very nice. I also like to have one city with mountain in 2nd ring to unlock building the Disney wonder.

I read a lot of things about Cities specialization because of the % of advantages ( like +30% production). How do I optimize this?

Civ5 does not really support city specialization like IV did. So pretty much every building in every city is the rule of thumb. There are some exceptions...

Oh yeah, what tiles to improve in first ? Luxury ? after ?

The tiles with the specials have the most yields, so those are the first ones you work, and hence the first one you should improve. After that are farms on rivers and lakes, because Civil Service is pretty early. After that, mines. If I have forest to chop, I will usually do that after all the luxes/resources/specials.

Hello,

On top of reading the guides which are really helpful, one can also watch videos on youtube that civ 5 players have made. There are many civ 5 players out there who have cleared deity difficulty with different social policies starts such as tradition, liberty, honor or piety.

Top Bottom