Effectiveness of last patch?

Gintoki89

Warlord
I've been lapsed from CiV for a while, never played a game with the last patch. I will probably play some tonight, and was just wondering - how effective were the changes in the last patch? Did the policy nerf/buff make a substantial difference? Is the warmonger reduction noticeable? Just curious what peoples thoughts were.

Patch wasn't really much of a deal for me. The most recent one just fixed stuff so it didn't really do much in my opinion

I agree. The nerf to tradition wasn't enough to get me to go down liberty. I tried honor and piety and they're still not viable except for cherry-picking.

And the warmonger hate is still kicking. I make it to about the renaissance and then get the hate. I always take one too many puppets in my first war.

Tradition is still best for 4 cities or less (except for early war), Liberty is still best for 6+ cities. Warmonger helps a bit but you can still rack it up if you keep conquering.

Tradition
Before you had the option of not choosing Oligarchy until last, now it must be your second or third choice. When your warrior and archers are out killing barbs this has no benefit. When they return they has a massive benefit as you can keep the same number of units as cities without incurring any cost and not have to think about Oligarchy as you've already unlocked it.
Beaker overflow
They nefred this rather than fix it. Although the effect is roughly the same in that you can't mass bulb anymore, well you can but it will be a waste of beakers. Personally I think it's a good addition(although a lazy one) as now you have to think before you bulb.
Warmonger Score
I personally haven't taken advantage of this but have seen Sweden take out a CS early on and suffer(seemingly) no diplomatic consequences. In my last 2 games I've had 2 warmongers at work with 2 different stories. The first was the Zulus who took out 3 civs early on. His Medieval units were no match for the industrial/modern ones that came later on. Second was Japan who did the same thing but his only mistake was to DOW me after I had won by SV, his Battleships and GWI were no match for my logistics Stealth Bombers and XCOM squads. If you plan to warmonger do it early & quickly and stop when someone goes into the industrial era until you can catch up.

I've been lapsed from CiV for a while, never played a game with the last patch. I will probably play some tonight, and was just wondering - how effective were the changes in the last patch? Did the policy nerf/buff make a substantial difference? Is the warmonger reduction noticeable? Just curious what peoples thoughts were.

I'm thinking you mean the Halloween patch instead of the December one since the December one appears to be MP only (designed to fix MP issues at some experenced during the Halloween patch)

Tech overflow exploit "fix" : This just means that you need to be careful about RA & GS timing to avoid hitting the cap.
This goes double for those that used to burn a lot of GS the very same turn. (They now basically need to do them one turn at a time, which means starting it the same number of turns earlier that they have GS)

Standard full tradition: Changes are that you now really want to hand build a monument in your capital with being forced to take the least useful tradition policy first to get to the best two policies. No other changes needed, timing of completion of full tradition tree (and therefore the aqueducts) was not significantly impacted.

The center of tradition first followed + by any other opening full tree: Nerfed to oblivion as you'd now be one policy away from completing tradition when you have the center so you might as well finish it.

Piety is still a self imposed handicap as a first policy due to being so much weaker than both standard Tradition & standard Liberty. There's quicker access to Reformation but timing of the full tree not impacted.

Warmonger: A lot less penalty to city state worker steal than before. It used to be relations suicide to DOW a second city state (or even the same one two times in the same game.) You can definitely get away with 2 city state worker steals now. I've seen some reports that indicate that city state killing is just as bad to relations as it was before though.

Warmonger: A lot less penalty to city state worker steal than before. It used to be relations suicide to DOW a second city state (or even the same one two times in the same game.) You can definitely get away with 2 city state worker steals now. I've seen some reports that indicate that city state killing is just as bad to relations as it was before though.

I have not tried a second CS dow, so that is good to know.

Very uncharacteristically, in my last game I farmed and then killed a CS on my continent. I had planned for it to be fast, but it did not work out that way. The CS had an ally by the time they fell, and might have even been after WC. There were no diplo hits from that whatsoever.

Top Bottom