Questions about Defensive Pacts & Open Borders

When do you use defensive pacts? Do they make the AI consider the combined military strengh of the two nations in the defensive pact before declaring war?

also: Is there any reason to give another civ open borders, other than to receive open borders from them? Does an open borders treaty effect how much another civ likes you (a green relation bonus)?

Thanks in advance

I use defensive pacts for two reasons . When I am building my empire whether it is wonders , expanding , or military and I know my neighbors are stronger than I am . Because the Ai does respect the common power of both militaries given in pacts . Also Declaration of friendships for a lesser impact .
The other reason why is when I am really strong and my rival is eating up every one of my trading partners and allies . I ask my allies for Defensive pacts to deter the rival from attacking the smaller weaker nation . If they do then great I have a distraction for the strong rival while my armies attack him :cool:

Open Borders can be given and not received or vica versa . I am not sure if given open borders actually help your relationship with a civ . Actually I think not because it does not show up in the diplo screen like ' trading partner 'for instance does . But I give open borders when I don 't mind the civ having access to other parts of the world . Especially if there at war and I want them to be weaken or my neighbor . Go on through ha ha . Be careful though since their missionaries are able to get to your cities with ease . They don 't take a hit effectiveness hit for being in your territory I think . I had a Great Prophet die being in an enemies territory for too long :cry: . Hurt bad

Be careful though since their missionaries are able to get to your cities with ease . They don 't take a hit effectiveness hit for being in your territory I think . I had a Great Prophet die being in an enemies territory for too long :cry: . Hurt bad

Open borders will allow missionaries of your open borders partner free reign in your borders without suffering attrition. Great prophets don't suffer attrition, whether or not you have open borders. They can die from ordinary causes, such as barb attacks, but not attrition.

also: Is there any reason to give another civ open borders, other than to receive open borders from them?

You could grant Open Border access to other Civilizations for a small sum of gold, provided you have Neutral standing or greater with them...at least you could in vanilla Civilization V.

It's a decent way to earn early gold before you have the opportunity to piss off other Civilizations. Don't know if that's possible in Gods and Kings though.

In G&K, early game you accomplish the same outcome by selling embassies. After Civil Service, you can do open borders if you have an embassy in both capitals. At that time, you will need to buy a reciprocal embassy, after which you can sell open borders. Standard speed "market" prices are 25 gold for embassies and 50 gold for open borders. If the AI is not fully delighted with you, they will not pay full market price, and the grumpier they are, the larger a discount they will require (just like with sales of luxuries and strategic resources).

Top Bottom