So why don't Pictish Warriors have a anti-mounted bonus?

Aaron90495

King
I was playing the Celts the other day and noticed something curious: Pictish Warriors don't get a bonus against mounted units. Obviously, the problem is that they're a spearman replacement, so the Celts are unable to counter mounted units for quite a while.
Has it always been like this, or did the Fall Patch screw it up?

I haven't played as Celts yet but I saw that civilopedia didn't mention the Pict's bonus against mounted units, nor did the fall patch announcement. Perhaps it's because Picts use swords rather than spear :)

not to mention that they have a higher CS than spears and a +20% bonus outside of their territory. Basically evens them out with horsemen already. Oh, and then there's the faith/kill bonus.

Effectively: UU's aren't always just the base unit + something.

not to mention that they have a higher CS than spears and a +20% bonus outside of their territory. Basically evens them out with horsemen already. Oh, and then there's the faith/kill bonus.

Agreed, although it's annoying in that I REALLY struggled against a mounted Aztec assault for a few dozen turns. I don't think UU's should put you at a disadvantage.

They also have the no pillaging cost

Isn't their combat strength exactly the same as spearman? I thought they only had the +20% bonus as the higher

Edit: I just checked and unless I'm missing something then, yup, they both sit at 11 strength. The hoplite is the only unit I know of with a higher CS (13)

You could also look at the Battering Ram, a spearman replacement and argue it's a weak spearman replacement, but then you discredit what it's good at doing: knocking down cities.

The pictish warrior is essentially the melee equivalent to this: If you start too close to a neighbor you know you want to take out then why not do it as soon as possible? Foreign combat, after all, is the pictish warrior strength. It's just extra incentive that the faith bonus and pillaging bonus are tacked on.

UUs truly define how you play with each civ (maybe not always but it's fun to play around their strengths whenever possible)

The pictish warrior is pretty good anyway, what more do you want than free faith for kills?

they dont get it becasue they dont have spears they have swords.
on another note they can go toe to toe with sword men, and u upgrade them to pikes they will still keep foreign lands bonus and the no cost to pillage AND they will get bonus vs mounted. they are kind of badass, in foreign lands they are pretty much as good as a hotpile

Top Bottom