[WIP] DMS's Natural Disasters

Sorry to double post, but just wanted to let you know, that the OP now contains a download link. Please note, that the mod is still very early in development, which means it's content is very limited and buggy as hell.

... and as said earlier, suggestions and ideas are very welcome - I probably won't be able to finish the mod otherwise.

And if the disasters could destroy wonders? When this happens, the player will (obviously) lose the Wonder, receive a small production boost (you can use the rubble to build other things), and the building can only be rebuilt by event/decision. If there's some Great Work in the wonder, it will be lost.
And the great works could be destroyed too! Great works of art, artifacts and great works of writing before printing press could be lost if the building in which they were was destroyed. A idea for a building: a safe to store the works, in which they can't be destroyed, but generates half of the culture and no turism (perfect for wars, to keep then safe from bombings).

But shouldn't there be some postivie aspects as well? As in, natural disasters that cause... Godd things. Via International aid and such.

If there's some Great Work in the wonder, it will be lost.
And the great works could be destroyed too! Great works of art, artifacts and great works of writing before printing press could be lost if the building in which they were was destroyed.

I think if it was like a tsunami, I think it'd be cool if it could be found via Archaeology in a different part of the world.

Arhh, all that grammar - it makes my head hurt :crazyeye: (Give me some math instead!! :mischief:)

Yeah, I thought marking disaster tiles would be a neat idea - in this very moment I trying to expand on the idea by having the icon text read something like "DisasterType, gameYear, livesClaimed" - not sure the detail is really worth the work though.

By the way, I'm trying to get a UserSetting file to work (like in Piety and ExCE) - I've created the table correctly (checked in SQLite), but for some reason I can't populate it. If you - or someone else with a handle on such things - get time, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at the files to see what I'm doing wrong.

Sure thing; I'll take a look.

EDIT: You must've fixed it; everything seems to be in order.

Impressive work! Also congrats on being the first to make a E&D Modmod.

Hm. Ok. Chopped liver.

Progress is being made! I've gotten the tsunami event to a point where I'm pretty satisfied with it (besides one persistent text bug I can't seem to fix). I've also added a wildfire event that can occur in forests and jungles and can destroy both improvements and damage units, and a meteor impact event that (besides utter destruction of course) can have a positive effect on the happiness of one's empire.
Those two events will be included in the next version.

That said, I'm struggling with some decisions about some of the events, particularly the earthquake event and the volcanic eruption event. Should earthquakes be able to affect multiple tiles depending on it's strength? Should it be possible that they occur with epicentre on a tile with a city, and if, then what? What type of buildings, if any, should provide just a bit of protection against earthquakes? The same goes for volcanic eruptions.
I'd very much like some suggestions!

Besides those, i'd love to get some ideas to hurricane and tornado events, such as where they could occur, do they affect cities, units, improvements or all at once, etc. The flooding event is on hold for now since I need to figure out exactly how much terrain graphic manipulation is possible in game first.

Regarding Decisions, I was thinking a decision about earthquake secure building would be a good idea, but I lack general knowledge of such things (and haven't read about it yet). When would it make sense for such a decision to be available? And what exactly should it provide; +5% production cost on all buildings and then a city is 75% protected against earthquakes maybe?
I don't plan to add the Decisions to the mod just yet, but suggestions is very welcome anyway.

This seems like an interesting project so I will contribute my two senses, have you ever thought of including something like Acid Rain, it may seems small but acid rain can damage recreational area, machinery, and possibly delay building construction as it could erode foundations and turn out most building material in poor quality
Also is Biochemical Warfare a possible feature as well? Things like Pineapple Gas, Tear Gas, and numerous Cold War projects have focused on such weapons. How about epidemics like AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Influenza could be possibilities as well.
Perhaps Natural Wonders could take part in Disaster Prevention as well and maybe you could issue a Speech after disaster occurs to increase happiness, just letting out some thoughts.

1. Maybe it could be related to buildings. Like, chance increased by factories. And maybe also add a related world wonder. I'm pretty sure that we'll be able to find something.
2. This sounds neat. May be a Chemical missile unit...
(Also, how about fires removin g forests, and an option to replant them?)

Sure :D It's a mix of me still being in the process of determining what the effects of the some of Disasters should be, and trying to implement and balance the one's which effects I have determined.

Also, just to be clear, I won't add stuff like acid rain or any biological warfare. It's not really within the scope of this mod I'm afraid. But appreciate the suggestions nonetheless.

It would be too much if there were to many natural disaster that would affect the game.
Here are some suggestions:

Tsunamis - appears on coastal water tiles, affect all units in 1 tile radius on land and 2 on water by 75% and improvements to have status "pillaged".

Volcanoes - may appear on hills and on ocean tilles, affect all units in 1 tile radius on land and water by 50% and improvements to have status "pillaged". After erupting, it creates natural wonder (Mt. Fuji, Grand Mesa on land and Krakatoa on water).

Meteors - After impact, it creates natural wonder of Barringer Crater. Affect all units in 3 tile radius on land and water by 100% and improvements to have status "pillaged".

Earthquakes - After the shakes, on ocean tiles it creates natural wonder of Great Barrier Reef. Affect all units in 3 tile radius on land and water by 75% and improvements to have status "pillaged".

Tornadoes and Hurricanes - affect all units in 2 tile radius on land and water by 75% and improvements to have status "pillaged". Happens once per 200 years.

At Tsunamis and Volcanoes, Cities have 50% less population and buildings,
and Meteors and Earthquakes, Cities have 75% less population and buildings.
Wonders are not affected.

As a chilean I may know a thing or two about Earthquakes. :mischief:

Seismic proofing is relatively recent, I'd dare say around Atomic Era, however there's more primitive ways to make things resist earthquake, Incan Architecture for example is surprisingly resilient against Earthquakes. A city with a good anti-seismic code more often than not is completly safe from the damages of Earthquakes, barring a disaster of Epic Proportions.

I'd say something like the Bomb Shelter gaining the ability to completly negate the effect of Earthquakes (or most natural disasters really, the building could be repurposed as a generic Shelter) could do the trick. Architecture tech may give some better protection against Earthquakes too.

Earthquakes should affect multiple tiles, yeah. Having a city as the Epicenter more often than not would mean complete destruction of the city.

Aqueducts, assuming they'd survive, should provide loads of helps for Earthquakes, probably Hospitals too.

The decision could involve using the Military in case of Disaster, which reduces impacts of natural disasters for each XP giving building in city.

Also, Earthquakes tend to cause Tsunamis, something to bear in mind...

I imagine Volcanic Eruptions being more probable to destroy improvements rather than cities outright. They should also reduce LOS in an area and down the road increase the food output of affected tiles. Some ideas here.

You can't just throw a number like that.... Personally, I think it would be cool if Tornados would act like resources\ tile improvements. Appear on one tile, and then move to the others, removing all improvements in their way.Volcanoes should be also terrain related. Events could change the course of the disaster and its outcome(say, reduce its damage, or make it stop at a certain point). I suggest a "perform a drill" decision, that may be enacted each era to make cities and units more resistant to disasters, in exchange for magistrates and gold. Perhaps ND?s could give extra magistrates.

Not as of right now. My focus this summer has primarily been my custom civs (of which one is to be released VERY soon (I hope)), so I haven't had much time to add content to the NatDis mod.

But don't worry - the project isn't dead at all. Whilst not having done any actual code, I have been thinking a lot about the effects of the various disasters ;).

So the current release/update plan is as follows:
1) Release of The Kingdom of Denmark (Valdemar II),
2) Release of The Kingdom of Araucanía and Patagonia,
3) Update to the Corsican Republic (mainly mod support and a few tweaks)
4) Update to The Nuraghians (semi-substantial update with changes to the UA and UI along with mod support)
5) Update to Natural Disasters (Earthquakes, Volcanic Eruptions, Limnic Eruptions, Wildfire and Meteor Strikes will initially be added with more content later)
6) Release of The Commonwealth of the Faroe Islands (or whatever the precise name will turn out to be)
7) Release of The Republic of Ragusa
8) ...

That is good to hear, I am looking forward to see this mod done. Civ5 will finally have mother nature effect in game.
You have plenty of job ahead of you...

Tornado, Wildfire?
Spoiler :

Volcanic Eruption
Spoiler :

Tsunami
Spoiler :

Earthquake:
Spoiler :

Top Bottom